Of course its loud enough for gigs but is it possible to get nice tones out of a 30 watt tube amp when you want to use it for casual home practice?
ya, I 've got a 30w Crate, and it sounds pretty good at bedroom levels.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Depends on the amp. Even a 5W amp would be too loud for practising at home if it's cranked to the point where it distorts. If it's got separate preamp and master volume pots, then it should be alright at lower volumes. Although some tube amps just need to be cranked.
Quote by Picker9415
Of course its loud enough for gigs but is it possible to get nice tones out of a 30 watt tube amp when you want to use it for casual home practice?

It depends on what tones you are after...

For most types of metal, you'd want preamp distortion with little to no power tube overdrive... which makes 30w reasonable.

For classic rock, or anything that requires power tube overdrive, 30w amp would need the master volume to be cranked. Now, there can be some control over volume with your on-board guitar volume, but in this case 30w may be too loud.

Personally, on my 50w I get powertube overdrive sometimes when I crank it up to 7, but at that it's quite loud (I could go over light/medium drums)... but I have the [preamp] gain quite low (1-3). It really depends on your definition of "casual home practice".
you can get very nice tones out of it at home levels. it will be clean, but it would still be nice. thats why god invented OD channels.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^yup OD pedal is a good way to go to get some nice overdriven sounds at low volumes.
Quote by dudey5691
Don't OD pedals boost the preamp tubes...? That wouldn't help unless TS was looking for what tone.

An attenuator would help, if you really felt the need.

i hate that misconception.
overdrive pedals and distortion pedals do the exact same thing. they take your signal, and they distort it. This means it takes a nice pretty sound wave, and clips it so it looks all fuzzed out. they all mimick the sound of a dirty amp. there, thats it.

both can be used to boost your amp. all this means is it makes the signal going into the amp louder, which is the same as using higher output pups.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i hate that misconception.
overdrive pedals and distortion pedals do the exact same thing. they take your signal, and they distort it. This means it takes a nice pretty sound wave, and clips it so it looks all fuzzed out. they all mimick the sound of a dirty amp. there, thats it.

both can be used to boost your amp. all this means is it makes the signal going into the amp louder, which is the same as using higher output pups.

I know what they do, but I must've got lost in the whole clean boost thing.

I didn't see that you mean using the gain of it, using the clean boost only would boost the preamp tubes, while adding gain would do as you described? Am I even close?

Sorry, about that, I didn't mean to sound arrogant or ignorant.
Quote by dudey5691
I know what they do, but I must've got lost in the whole clean boost thing.

I didn't see that you mean using the gain of it, using the clean boost only would boost the preamp tubes, while adding gain would do as you described? Am I even close?

Sorry, about that, I didn't mean to sound arrogant or ignorant.

no im sorry, i didnt intend to single you out.
there is this miscnception that gets perpetuated here on UG that od pedals are magic, and it will make your amp naturally overdrive and that its the secret to great tone.
although, you can use it as a clean boost, all that would do is hit the front end of your amp harder. Sure, if boosted enough, you could theoretically overdrive your preamp, which would in turn increase the amount of "volume" going to the power tubes and then OD them. But at that point your at the same perceived volume that you would be if you didnt use the pedal and just turned up really loud.

you can also boost a signal into an already distorted amp and that will help to tighten up the tne abit. also beneficial as a solo boost.

but for low volume jamming, a good sounding od pedal is great to use for what it was acutally designed for.... clipping your signal before it even gets to the amp. the same as a fuzz pedal, or a distortion pedal.

again, i apologize if i came across as a douche.

also, in my original post i was refering to the OD channel of an amp. people seem to forget that you dont need to turn amps up to ten ever since the Mesa Boogie Mark 1 came out in 1970 (or whenever it came out). after that, people start putting distrotion channels on amps. it usually involves either overloading a gain stage with signal and then grounding most of the "volume" off, so that its workable, or passes the signal through op amps and clippers, like diodes, to distort the signal. Thats also how ods/distortions/fuzz pedals work.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by chea_man
no im sorry, i didnt intend to single you out.
there is this miscnception that gets perpetuated here on UG that od pedals are magic, and it will make your amp naturally overdrive and that its the secret to great tone.
although, you can use it as a clean boost, all that would do is hit the front end of your amp harder. Sure, if boosted enough, you could theoretically overdrive your preamp, which would in turn increase the amount of "volume" going to the power tubes and then OD them. But at that point your at the same perceived volume that you would be if you didnt use the pedal and just turned up really loud.

you can also boost a signal into an already distorted amp and that will help to tighten up the tne abit. also beneficial as a solo boost.

but for low volume jamming, a good sounding od pedal is great to use for what it was acutally designed for.... clipping your signal before it even gets to the amp. the same as a fuzz pedal, or a distortion pedal.

again, i apologize if i came across as a dousche.

You're not being a douche, I just got lost in my own practices and assumed as such.

I understand what you're saying now, and agree completely.

I'd also like to make the point that a 30W EL84 based amp is quite alot louder than a 30W 6L6/ EL34 based amp. My Cornford Carrera is much louder operating at 6W with the EL84 valve than at 8W with the 6L6.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
you can get nice tones out of a 100 watt tube stack at low volumes. there is this myth going around that you absolutely must crank your tube amp to get good tone. yea, sure, if you want that hendrixy fuzzed out craziness, then crank the heck outa a marshall, or if you want woman tone, put everything to 10. HOWEVER, for most of us, a tube amp will do just wat you want at low volumes too. personally, i like tubes when they aren't cranked.

anyway, that's my rant. in short, the 30watt will be fine.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
well, i happened to dime my palomino the other day, and it's really loud. like, really really loud. but it's still great for bedroom jamming
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by bored_maniac33
you can get nice tones out of a 100 watt tube stack at low volumes. there is this myth going around that you absolutely must crank your tube amp to get good tone. yea, sure, if you want that hendrixy fuzzed out craziness, then crank the heck outa a marshall, or if you want woman tone, put everything to 10. HOWEVER, for most of us, a tube amp will do just wat you want at low volumes too. personally, i like tubes when they aren't cranked.

anyway, that's my rant. in short, the 30watt will be fine.

exactly. sometimes i think im the only person that likes to run my amp clean lol
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.