I have NO idea what I'm going to do in the future; I just know that I want to get into a somewhat prestigious school. I feel REALLY lazy and this is probably the worst time to slack off (halfway through junior year, no community service hours). I will be taking the ACT and the SAT, but I'm a bit afraid of those too.

Is there anything else I should be looking forward to? Anything I have missed that is essential? Do colleges take after-school programs seriously?

I don't know if I'm just overreacting (I have a weighted 4.0), or if I should get my *ss off the computer and actually START doing something (like I said, no community service hours).

I don't even know what I'll major in... Will college counselors be of any help?

Sorry if I haven't been clear enough, and thanks for the help.

(no lulz-worthy material here, unless you want to laugh at my confusion)

EDIT: I'm aiming for better known schools in the state, such as Florida State and University of Florida (I haven't excluded schools outside the state though)

EDIT2: about community service, I have signed up to do some at Habitat for Humanity. hopefully I won't get hurt there or any problems...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude

I don't even know what I'll major in...

What do you enjoy learning about?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
I got into college without Community Service....

Everyone changes their majors, I still have no clue what I'm doing.

College Counselors...what are they?

Don't worry about ACT and SAT...especially with your grades...
Quote by darthteet
What do you enjoy learning about?

I don't know. I'm a pretty decent writer, but I don't see myself doing that in the future; I enjoy history, but I don't see job security in that; I have really bad stage fright so playing guitar is out (and I hate composing counterpoints tbh); never took an interest in Chemistry or Biology.

I'll keep posting as I think of more things to post.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yeah man, colleges look at extra curricular activites pretty hard. having a job for a while during high school helps a lot, as does COMMUNITY SERVICE. start doing that, and take up a sport, it will show that you're not just slacking off. if you don't do anything and get around 1600 sat scores you're probably looking at a state college. about the major, i don't even know myself, and i don't think most people do before they get into college. look some stuff up.
LILUM
Tyler Durden Says...Use Soap!
You'll be fine. You have a good GPA. Just do decent on SAT/ACT, and go in undecided. 96% of college graduate change there major at least once between starting and graduating.

College counselor's are basically a joke though. Just do your thing and take a wide range of courses your freshman year. Take things from physics to math to political science to poetry appreciation. Find what you like and then focus on that.
Quote by aznrockerdude
I don't know. I'm a pretty decent writer, but I don't see myself doing that in the future; I enjoy history, but I don't see job security in that; I have really bad stage fright so playing guitar is out (and I hate composing counterpoints tbh); never took an interest in Chemistry or Biology.

I'll keep posting as I think of more things to post.

You aren't in education for the right reasons then.

You want job security, join the military, or get an apprenticeship.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
dude, things are just all downhill from here if you are already thinking like this. this happened to me in my senior year, i had it all, but i wasnt happy. now i have nothing, and im miserable. yay music!
Well Enough Alone
don't freak out about it. you've got a 4.0 and with a 1200 or so you're looking at some pretty good school. in all honesty, if you're going to any decent 4 year school, where you go won't be that big of an issue when you're looking for a job out of college. think about it, the company, law firm, doctors office, etc. will want the employee that will help them make the money and help the business, and if it appears i can do that better than a harvard grad, then most likely i'll get the job. it's not the school that matters, but the education you'll be getting.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Don't worry about it. i freaked out when I was in high school because I had no extra curiculars, no nothing, but I got into a good school just fine. I still haven't picked a major, but seriously, a major isn't THAT important for the first two years. Just take care of your general education courses first.

Oh, and if you are worried about job security, then you obviously don't care about that job enough to do it as a career. You will know what career you want when you find something you love that you would do, even if you weren't be paid to do it. Then again, if I take my own advice here, then I am limited to careers in fapping, smoking pot, or playing guitar...****
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
You can do all your community service senior year if you have to. You really shouldn't worry. You'll get into a damn good school.
Quote by ZanasCross
You'll be fine. You have a good GPA. Just do decent on SAT/ACT, and go in undecided. 96% of college graduate change there major at least once between starting and graduating.

College counselor's are basically a joke though. Just do your thing and take a wide range of courses your freshman year. Take things from physics to math to political science to poetry appreciation. Find what you like and then focus on that.

Sounds good.
Quote by uglyorgan
yeah man, colleges look at extra curricular activites pretty hard. having a job for a while during high school helps a lot, as does COMMUNITY SERVICE. start doing that, and take up a sport, it will show that you're not just slacking off. if you don't do anything and get around 1600 sat scores you're probably looking at a state college. about the major, i don't even know myself, and i don't think most people do before they get into college. look some stuff up.

I'm no stellar athlete, but I do play water polo. I haven't done alot of after school programs aside from water polo this year: I will try to get into the school's National Honors Society if I can next year (I didn't get in this year). The SAT scares the crap out of me though: I heard people took as long as 5 hours to finish, I don't think I have the stamina and patience to last that long.
Quote by darthteet
You aren't in education for the right reasons then.

You want job security, join the military, or get an apprenticeship.

I just think that Math and Science are far more versatile subjects...
Quote by guitardude11
dude, things are just all downhill from here if you are already thinking like this. this happened to me in my senior year, i had it all, but i wasnt happy. now i have nothing, and im miserable. yay music!

So what are you doing now? If life was easy, I'd just go to community college and play guitar for a couple of years...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
man, dont even worry about it. more than 3/4 of people who come out fo shigh school dont even know what theyre gonna go into. follow your smarter self. think of the samrtest thing to do in order to assure yourself a safe and sure entry into a possible future in anything, doesnt have to be a fancy school of law or a ''do the minimum so you dont have to work for nothing'' job. if you have no idea what to do, AT LEAST find the thing that interests you the most, and if nothing interests you, then dont be an idiot, pick something, anything, just make sure its not something you dont like.
Quote by aznrockerdude

I just think that Math and Science are far more versatile subjects...

Versatile? As in more job opportunities? Maybe, but if you just want a job there's far more cheap, quick and efficient ways to get there. Further education should be about learning that you are passionate about.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
don't sweat sats. if you get nervous then they'll kick your ass. ive taken them twice and it goes by pretty quickly. the first time i was pretty nervous and scored 1710, and the next time i really didn't care about them and i improved to a 1820. being relaxed is def. the best way to go. some studying helps too.
LILUM
Tyler Durden Says...Use Soap!
dont sweat it man. im a sophomore in college and i JUST figured out what i wanna do. and take the ACT. its way easier. shoot for a 30 for free money no matter where you go. and community service is easy, volunteer at a camp or school over the summer or somethin. and with your grades id spend more time playing guitar and less time sweating school lol.

also, the test only takes forever if you take the writing portion. trying for Harvard? no? then **** the writing part. ace the test and get drunk the rest of the day.
Last edited by kaizerkhan13 at Dec 17, 2008,
Quote by sabres61
don't freak out about it. you've got a 4.0 and with a 1200 or so you're looking at some pretty good school. in all honesty, if you're going to any decent 4 year school, where you go won't be that big of an issue when you're looking for a job out of college. think about it, the company, law firm, doctors office, etc. will want the employee that will help them make the money and help the business, and if it appears i can do that better than a harvard grad, then most likely i'll get the job. it's not the school that matters, but the education you'll be getting.

That made me feel better, thanks.
Quote by vash_08
Don't worry about it. i freaked out when I was in high school because I had no extra curiculars, no nothing, but I got into a good school just fine. I still haven't picked a major, but seriously, a major isn't THAT important for the first two years. Just take care of your general education courses first.

Oh, and if you are worried about job security, then you obviously don't care about that job enough to do it as a career. You will know what career you want when you find something you love that you would do, even if you weren't be paid to do it. Then again, if I take my own advice here, then I am limited to careers in fapping, smoking pot, or playing guitar...****

Yeah, me too tbh.
Quote by Castlebravo
You can do all your community service senior year if you have to. You really shouldn't worry. You'll get into a damn good school.

Yeah, but I already signed up lol.

EDIT: I'll address the other posts later, I gotta do homework now lol.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Sorry for the double post, but try not to recommend anything for this summer: I'll be going to Japan to learn some Japanese.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Have you thought about working for some sort of world aid organization? If I don't see my future holding a good stage production job, then I will definately look into helping others for a living. Win, Win in my opinion.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by aznrockerdude
Sorry for the double post, but try not to recommend anything for this summer: I'll be going to Japan to learn some Japanese.

Make sure you tell any colleges you apply to about this.
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
Damn, I'm in the same boat as you.
Except my grades are pure ****. I get pretty stressed out.
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.