I've been listening to SOAD a lot lately (i just found that unrealeased album "storaged melodies" on youtube, highly recomended), and of course with listening to a band a lot comes wanting to learn their styles, so i was wondering if anyone had any insights into the scaled that Daron and Shavo use. i know they use the D Natural Minor, but a lot of their songs dont follow that scale, which happen to be some of my favorite songs by them. so ya, anyone who knows some other scales they use, please help!
I think they like to use a lot of harmonic minor but I honestly haven't been listening to or playing any of their songs recently; so I'm not positive.
actually they use mostly C and C# scales. they do use the harmonic minor scales but the general rule for the key/tuning is drop C for the first 3 cds (self titled, toxicity and STA) and drop C# for mezmerize and hypnotize except question which if i remember right has the acoustic guitar in standard and the electric and bass is in drop C again. Ive never heard of storaged melodies but i will definitly go check that out now. but yea for how good of a sound they have and how fun it is to play the majority of their songs are based on pretty simple scales and power chords. i was huge into them when i was first learning guitar and i learned how to play almost every major song they have.
ya i have a tab book on them i can play all their hits and a few other songs. as for storaged melodies, just look it up on youtube. it takes some searching to find all 17 songs, but a google search can get you the full list. they do some songs with wu tang and theres a limp bizkit song that serj is in.
haha! i remember that :lol: I think he was referring to right hand picking speed for the opening of suite-pee. I could be wrong though. I might be mixing that up with another video i saw.
Yeah, I think that's the one. And he's absolutely right.
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
Quote by Hagane1340
Yeah, I think that's the one. And he's absolutely right.

amen brother lol
Quote by douchewibbler
fail
Quote by whammy!
ya i have a tab book on them i can play all their hits and a few other songs. as for storaged melodies, just look it up on youtube. it takes some searching to find all 17 songs, but a google search can get you the full list. they do some songs with wu tang and theres a limp bizkit song that serj is in.

I'm guessing you don't know ****, so you're fobbing him off with "yer im super awesome. I know every single one of their songs"...
Quote by Kyle.E
I'm guessing you don't know ****, so you're fobbing him off with "yer im super awesome. I know every single one of their songs"...

Cause SOAD songs are so hard to play
Quote by Kyle.E

you're a dick dude, just cuz you think you're the best guitarist the world has ever known doesn't mean this guy does
Last edited by IHeartme at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by IHeartme
you're a dick dude, just cuz you think you're the best guitarist the world has ever known doesn't mean this guy does

That's not what he said at all O.o

As far as being on topic, I'm pretty sure that they use C or C# scales alot, as stated above. I can't really think of much else.
C|-0-2-3-5-7-8-10
G|-0-2-3-5-7-8-10
C|-0-2-3-5-7-8-10

Daron uses the hell out of those chords, and the other chords that go with that scale, I know like 6 of his songs, and they all use that scale:p