I have a fender MIM p bass and i play thru a fender bassman 250/15. Our band plays a few blink-182 songs and i really like mark hoppus' (blink's bass player) tone more than mine. I don't plan on getting another amp and im wanting a tone maybe closer to his than i have now. I know he uses Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pound P Bass pickups and was wanting to know more info on them, like how they sound and how they compare to fender mim stock pups.
they are considerably better, more versatile, and will definitely get you your tone if you like his.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
they have lots of low end, really nice bottom, clear high, and a bit of scooped mid that ad a nice ambience
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
will the diffrence be worth the money, i would def. buy them but my budget is kinda low right now cuz i hydroplaned and hit a tree with my truck, lol,
yeah buy them, they are awesome, altough i heard the stock MIMs are like cheaper QPs so thats something to think about, try going to a store and playing the MH signature bass, is basically a MIM with a QP and bodytrouh option
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Threadstarter I feel your pain. I recently owned my jeep recently. On the day I bought it too.

But the quarter pounders are a good investment. They have a bright, very agressive sound. Are much louder than the stock pups.
I've actually had a ton of experience with P-bass pickups, and I'll tel you: biggest differance you see is going to the QP's. Well, the EMG's are a big differance, but... not a good differance. In anycase, with the QP's, you get a nice, cutting tone that still has massive bottom end to it. If you really like MH's tone, that's one step towards it, the bigger, more important step to get your bass to sound like his: Ampeg amps.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
QPs are loud and bright and punchy as hell. On my all maple AccuBass they are brighter still and have a bite, but in a definite bass heavy way as Thomme has said.

And yes--the bass sounds really round and punchy through my Ampeg.
um my....i guess stock....no clue didnt buy it....Aerodyne has a beautifal Pbass i guess called QP pick up. my gee-tar teacher even complimented it XD
Try adding more delay.
Quote by anarkee
QPs are loud and bright and punchy as hell. On my all maple AccuBass they are brighter still and have a bite, but in a definite bass heavy way as Thomme has said.

And yes--the bass sounds really round and punchy through my Ampeg.

you should reserve the QP's for the Alder, Poplar and Ash bodied basses, that Accubass needs an SPB-2 to tame it's insane highs. Unless that's your bag.
Quote by telecastrmastr
um my....i guess stock....no clue didnt buy it....Aerodyne has a beautifal Pbass i guess called QP pick up. my gee-tar teacher even complimented it XD

wat
Quote by Aidy Damage
wat

he bought a used bass that had a Quarter pounder pickup in it, and his guitar teacher liked the sound of it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I play lots of punk stuff as well as pop punk stuff. I have the jazz bass version but the pickup is awesome. lots of punch and aggression. Really helps you get that punky tone.

EDIT: Just make you sure you have fresh strings on there.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Yeah, the pickup would be perfect for you. Don't hesitate, buy one right now. Also, P-Bass pickup swaps are basically the easiest mods you could ever do. Actually, anything on a P-Bass is super easy.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, the pickup would be perfect for you. Don't hesitate, buy one right now. Also, P-Bass pickup swaps are basically the easiest mods you could ever do. Actually, anything on a P-Bass is super easy.

unless you've never installed a pickup before or soldered before and decide to change out the pots and cap, too... then it's not so super easy.... but, you gotta have a first time.
Quote by the humanity
he bought a used bass that had a Quarter pounder pickup in it, and his guitar teacher liked the sound of it.

how did you translate that?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
how did you translate that?

I know Mermish.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Thomme
unless you've never installed a pickup before or soldered before and decide to change out the pots and cap, too... then it's not so super easy.... but, you gotta have a first time.

Well my first mod ever was swapping a split P. And it isn't super important to change the pots, especially at this stage.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
how important are the pots? there's a wiring kit for a p bass on stewmac.com. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit_for_P-Bass.html is it any good or are there better pots and wires etc to invest in? its going in my p bass that i'm building with the sd quarter pounders this thread is about...
I really stand by Stewart Mac's stuff. I used that exact same "kit" in my AccuBass. They work fine and are solid. They also include a wiring diagram and instructions.

The great thing is that if you run in to questions, the folks at Stew-Mac are really, really helpful.
I've been looking at the Quarter Pound, but a lot of people say it has a sort of mid scoop. Looking at Seymour Duncan's tone chart, would the SPB-2 be better? Apparently it has more mids.
Quote by ele1122
I've been looking at the Quarter Pound, but a lot of people say it has a sort of mid scoop. Looking at Seymour Duncan's tone chart, would the SPB-2 be better? Apparently it has more mids.

depending on the sound you're going for: yes. I like the SPB-2, it's louder than the vintage, but it's more of a bass boost than anything. The SPB-3 is a bass and treble boost. I find that the SPB-3 sounds reminiscent of a PJ bass, while the SPB-2 sounds more like a P-bass on steroids and the SPB-1 sounds like a P-bass ought to.
Quote by Thomme

i've put two new pickups in my epi. les paul, thx anyways
Quote by Fender_punk
EDIT: Just make you sure you have fresh strings on there.
they less than 2 months old, but y?
Quote by kjkamo
they less than 2 months old, but y?

strings have their cleanest, snappiest tone in the first 2 weeks or so. some keep it longer, Rotosound have the nice tone for a month, then stay kinda nice sounding for the next 2 months.

Ernie Balls sound bad for the first week, great for the second, and awful every following week.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i have some british brand strings, the guy at guitar center recommended them over the ernie ball
Quote by kjkamo
i have some british brand strings, the guy at guitar center recommended them over the ernie ball

stadium elite mebbe?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard