Page 1 of 2
I shredded, played some blues, played some riffs, chords, hammer exercises, tapping exercises, the works for a straight 40 minutes and my fingers have considerably been drained and lost some speed over that time...call it quits for the night?
...this is the last line of my post
i would say to do that for an extra 40 minutes so that way your fingers will become faster and stronger, that's what i did and still do
whenever you mentally dont want to anymore, and that goes for any type of practice, for anything
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Quote by bound by metal
I shredded, played some blues, played some riffs, chords, hammer exercises, tapping exercises, the works for a straight 40 minutes and my fingers have considerably been drained and lost some speed over that time...call it quits for the night?

If your fingers are "drained" after 40 minutes of practicing, I'm willing to bet you're playing with far too much tension.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I stop when it's not fun anymore

yeah, hes right
Hola.
I agree with prophet of page, if your fingers are "drained" after forty minutes, then you must not have been playing for very long, or your playing with WAY too much tension. I usually play for at LEAST 2 hours at a time, and i never ever ever break strings so that might just be me, but still.
the only time you should 'push' yourself to keep going is like in sports if your trying to get fitter, make a team, make the play or whatever. to a point. like you can push your ass off the couch to go start practicing, that would be a good push. full step bends with your fingers already gushing...probably not worth it.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Shoot, just this past Sunday I played for about 8 or 9 hours while only taking breaks to eat and piss. I usually stay up and play from like 9 until around 3 or 4 in the morning.
I practice until I've learned what ive set out to learn, or at least a section of it. Set goals for yourself. Practise something until you hate it then you really know you've got it.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Usually when im getting frustrated and not having fun anymore I quit and do something else for a while
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
be careful about practicing too long, my friend did that and now his wrist is fuked up, and he cant play anymore at all.

just make sure your stretching out properly and warming up, you should be able to play more than 40 mins.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Only 40 minutes?

I used to practice around 10 hours a day.

God damn, really!?
HI
Quote by XianXiuHong
Only 40 minutes?

I used to practice around 10 hours a day.

If only all of us had that much free time
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by StratPat
God damn, really!?

When I could, I always finished my work at school and whenever I had a project, I'd spend 30 minutes on the project and 30 mins on guitar, it was a good way to get things done.

Quote by Lethal Dosage
If only all of us had that much free time

I sacrificed my social life for a year.
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
Shoot, just this past Sunday I played for about 8 or 9 hours while only taking breaks to eat and piss. I usually stay up and play from like 9 until around 3 or 4 in the morning.

Me too, its 3:45 am and I am still playing.
I practiced some Holdsworth stuff and my Legato and arppegios for from 11Pm-7AM yesterday

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
when i can i play two hours straight so i gain endurance for gigs
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I practice for about 2 or 3 hours at a time twice a day. Just keep stretching your hands out and give them a bit of a break every once and a while.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I stop when I get bored. Which happens very rarely. Usually, I just play until something else comes along that needs to be done, or someone wants to hang out.

If your fingers get tired, just play something slower and calmer, get the dist of and lay some chords or blues or something. Every second you spend on the fretboard is a step forward.
i can often just improvise for hours on end using the one scale(obviously all over the fretboard and not just in one postion), like yesterday for instance, 5 hours of A minor fret wankery of the highest order, a few weeks ago it was hours of B phyrgian dominant fret wankery.

i usually live to regret it as i tend to destroy my calluses.
john frusciante apparently played up to 12 hours a day prior to recording mother's milk
I'm sure many people have already said this, but I believe you can never practice too much, pretty much when you lose your drive it makes it easy to put your guitar down though, which could be 30 minutes for some players, or half a day for others.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Practice as long as you want but like studying for school, study for 50 minutes and take 10 minute breaks to relax tension and mind. And set goals--best way I know to get better.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
it all depends on what you doing. most people might feel tight after trying to nail something like scarified for 40 mins straight. sweeping also kills. most things shouldnt do that you you though. i agree that you may be playing too tight.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If your fingers are "drained" after 40 minutes of practicing, I'm willing to bet you're playing with far too much tension.

Good point.
i literally play for hours...
i practised like 3 hours then had a food break, then went back for 3 hours...fingers arent sore at all, i just let it all flow, no tight wrists or what not..
so i would say warm up before playing.. take some breaks but get used to playing for extended time
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
i can play literally for hours and not get tired, only things that get in the way are school, eating, going out, or sleep. if you've been improvising for 40 minutes and your fingers are drained, take it easy, turn on the clean channel on your amp (or whip out the acoustic) and play some slower or calm songs. brings the energy back in your hands and you're still playing guitar, which is always a good thing.
I'd also like to make the point that excessive practicing (9 or 10 hours a day) isn't actually all that beneficial, especially if it's all in one session. I used to spend on average seven hours a day practicing stuff by Johnson, Verheyen, Morse, Holdsworth, Garsed, the odd bit of Lane, etc. It works for a while, sure, but after a while you'll find that there are certain bad habits you have (and we all have bad habits) that we just can't break out of. You'll also often find that while you may play incredibly well at the end of a long practice session, when you start sessions you're playing is at a lower level.

I'd recommend that you spend no more than 1 hour practicing technique (I don't mean playing, play to your hearts content) in any one session. Then take a break from playing (if you really must continue to do something related to music, study theory or do listening excercises). After maybe an hour of not playing, pick the guitar back up, and try to pick up where you left off. Practicing in this way will lead to more consistency between your playing after a practice session and playing cold.

Always warm up your muscles before you practice. Wash your hands in warm water, it will also help keep your guitar clean and make your strings last longer.

Always devote some time to practicing standing up.

When you sit, adjust your guitar strap so that when you stand the guitar is at the same height. This will give more consistency between playing while standing and playing while sitting.

Eat bananas, they're great for tendons, ligaments and nerves.

If anything hurts, STOP. It's very likely you are doing something wrong. Find out what it is, adjust the technique and practice very slowly so that the correct technique becomes a habit.

When you finish practicing for the day, cool your muscles down with gentle stretching excercises to increase flexibility in the hands.

Please, practice smart. I've known several people who've developed RSIs/Carpal Tunnel/Tendonitis from excessive practicing with incorrect tenchnique.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I'd also like to make the point that excessive practicing (9 or 10 hours a day) isn't actually all that beneficial, especially if it's all in one session. I used to spend on average seven hours a day practicing stuff by Johnson, Verheyen, Morse, Holdsworth, Garsed, the odd bit of Lane, etc. It works for a while, sure, but after a while you'll find that there are certain bad habits you have (and we all have bad habits) that we just can't break out of. You'll also often find that while you may play incredibly well at the end of a long practice session, when you start sessions you're playing is at a lower level.

I'd recommend that you spend no more than 1 hour practicing technique (I don't mean playing, play to your hearts content) in any one session. Then take a break from playing (if you really must continue to do something related to music, study theory or do listening excercises). After maybe an hour of not playing, pick the guitar back up, and try to pick up where you left off. Practicing in this way will lead to more consistency between your playing after a practice session and playing cold.

Always warm up your muscles before you practice. Wash your hands in warm water, it will also help keep your guitar clean and make your strings last longer.

Always devote some time to practicing standing up.

When you sit, adjust your guitar strap so that when you stand the guitar is at the same height. This will give more consistency between playing while standing and playing while sitting.

Eat bananas, they're great for tendons, ligaments and nerves.

If anything hurts, STOP. It's very likely you are doing something wrong. Find out what it is, adjust the technique and practice very slowly so that the correct technique becomes a habit.

When you finish practicing for the day, cool your muscles down with gentle stretching excercises to increase flexibility in the hands.

Please, practice smart. I've known several people who've developed RSIs/Carpal Tunnel/Tendonitis from excessive practicing with incorrect tenchnique.

Amen. That was just beautiful.
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
if you're tired after 40 minutes you should warm up before you go full on. seriously

good warm up? at least 15 minutes

also, after those 40 minutes take a 20 minute break and play another 40 minutes. then when yo uget tired another break etc.

you won't really improve insane amounts if you play 40 minutes a day, im guessing

but if you're young and into girls, who cares

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I agree that if you practice more than 7 hours regularly, you take longer to warm up and tend to suck when you start. Which really blows if someone randomly asks you to play something, you can't really say "come back in about 3 hours, I should be warmed up". Although it is good to throw those marathons in every now and then, to make sure you do have the physical and mental stamina. I usually practice about 45min-1 hour a day, and once a week I'll play all day long, well into the night. I guess the most important thing is to have realistic, progressive goals, and to play every day, if only for 15 minutes.
Quote by SZ320man
I agree that if you practice more than 7 hours regularly, you take longer to warm up and tend to suck when you start. Which really blows if someone randomly asks you to play something, you can't really say "come back in about 3 hours, I should be warmed up". Although it is good to throw those marathons in every now and then, to make sure you do have the physical and mental stamina. I usually practice about 45min-1 hour a day, and once a week I'll play all day long, well into the night. I guess the most important thing is to have realistic, progressive goals, and to play every day, if only for 15 minutes.

if they ask you to randomly play something just strum chords and sing bob dylan

dont matter if you cant sing no straight notes boy its gonna impress people everywhere
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Page 1 of 2