the more I read the more I find that Tom Scholz used it (the original Obviously) to boost his plexis

good bad okay horrible?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
i think i read somewhere that Randy Rhodes used it also, i prefer the Metal Muff but its still a really good distortion
yup randy used it also though I'm not to big a fan of him... I'll have to go try it but how does it compare to the original?
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
randy rhoads used it as a boost, with the gain quite low and level high. scholz probably did the same.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
thats also my guess i just don't want to buy a piece of crap so does anyone have on there is no garuntees I can try it the closest music store is like an hour away now
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
i would think that the original is better cause that's how it usually is with pedals, but yea you should just go out an try it
Depending on what you want, also check out the DOD 250/YJM308. They are a bit smoother, though lower gain than the D+ plus based on owning both. I traded my D+ and have regretted it ever since. Very good all around pedal that can inch easily into 80s rock gain levels.
i would guess, just about any dirt pedal will do a similar job if your using it as a boost. and if it worked for them, im sure it would work for you, since your a fan of scholz tone.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yeah but the boost still had the certian tone even if it is just a "clean" or slightly dirty boost it still has the charicteristics of the D+ my SD-1 won't sound like that
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Breadboard it you boutique pedal builder.

Its a simple pedal and really easy to tweak to your needs. I really like mine, so simple yet offers so much. Does a great clean boost.
I've considerd it but that means I have to buy parts unless I have em lyin around It might be just a pain, I'll go check out the schem though
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Dec 17, 2008,
it probably wont require you to buy many new parts. most dirt pedals use alot of the same parts. in fact, most dirt pedals are really really really really really really similar.
even a tubescreamer and a (really expensive and rare) zendrive pedal are ridiculously similar.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
yeah, I'm sure maybe I'll just make it it'll only cost 20 bucks at the most in parts and if I like it anther 20 on a box
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
^^yes all overdrive/distortion pedals are essentially Tube Screamer derivatives.

The boutique pedal maker might have troubles though as the gain control uses a 500K reverse audio pot and a LM741 op-amp, not terribly hard parts to find at all but not easy to find either.
I found a place where I can buy the pot, do you have an idea for the op amp?

are you being sarcastic or what
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Any single op-amp will work fine, the LM741 is the best imo. You want a fairly lo-fi one with a lower slew rate and not the best specs. You could use a common dual op-amp (4558, 5532, 5589, 072, 082) and just not use the second op-amp. I have found those more modern op-amps just don't sound the same though.

Whats sarcasim....?
Quote by Bostonrocks
I found a place where I can buy the pot, do you have an idea for the op amp?

are you being sarcastic or what

i think he is trying to be a dick, tbh. but i cant tell. i wish there was a way of reading "tone of voice" via the internet.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
dude, ping IbanezPsycho. He picked one up when they were on sale for $29. If we're talking about the same thing. He loves it. There was a thread on this not too far back where he talked about it more at length. I'm wanting one too.
I agree chea I'm not sure though whatever...

4558 is whats used in TS's right? I'll see if I can find a 741
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I agree chea I'm not sure though whatever...

4558 is whats used in TS's right? I'll see if I can find a 741

Yes the JRC4588 and RC4588 and a few others have been used in production of Ibanez Tube Screamers.

There has been about 100 other op-amps used in other variations and clones though.

The LM308 will also work nicely in the Dist +/DOD 250 if you cant find the 741.
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Dec 17, 2008,
well clones obviously but I meant the production versions....

will it matter what brand I get or do you know what brand was used in the D +?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Back in the day they used RCA, good luck finding one of those though ha.

Just use a texas instruments LM741.

No idea what the crappy new production models are using.
I was asking about the new one's sorry should have clarified
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era