I'm a true beginner, only been learning to play for a couple weeks. I bought a Peavey Vypry 30 watt because I thought I needed something cool with all the bells & whistles, even though I knew nothing about amps when I bought the thing.

Well now its taking a **** on me, so I'm going to see if I can take it back and get something different.

Really, all I need is something small, simple, inexpensive and easy to use to just learn the basics, and play some rock and metal riffs. It doesn't need to be loud enough to blow the house down. I don't need a huge array of effects.

I was thinking of something like this Marshall 15 watt.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG15CD-15-Watt-Combo?sku=482799

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!!
dude the marshall sucks
why dont you like the peavey its awsome
if you sell your peavey and bought the marshall then you're a fckn idiot
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
don't get the mg, its an overpriced amp. Maybe a cube 15x. what is ur budget and style of music do you play?
why are you people suggesting him a modeling amp that is very much like the vypyr
TS dont sell the amp learn how to use it and watch youtube clips if you need more info
feel free to add me
Well if the vypyr is knackered, get a USB-MIDI cable and update the amp's firmware. It will fix all problems.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You should probably stick with what you have until you have been playing for longer. A better amp won't magically make you sound better as a beginner.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
DO NOT get the marshall.. i have the 30 watt version right now.. actually, i'll have replaced it in a week with an ORANGE! (ok, i'm done now) anyways.. the marshall sucks.. overpriced only for the name. Marshall makes good high end amps, not good cheap amps. See if there are any cheap Vox amps perhaps. Stay away from Line 6 Spider III, Marshall MG, and Fender Frontman amps. Those are the worst amps in production, in my opinion of course
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
dude the marshall sucks
why dont you like the peavey its awsome
if you sell your peavey and bought the marshall then you're a fckn idiot

The main reason I'm thinking of ditching the Peavey, is because its malfunctioning, plain and simple.

The ****ing thing has to be turned on & off a half-dozen times before it will run, sometimes it doesn't even run. ****ing Hong Kong bull****.

Anyway, if the thing would work right I would keep it. But since its not I might be replacing it.
Quote by stradivari310
A better amp won't magically make you sound better as a beginner.

WTF? Thats not what I'm getting at.

What I'm saying is the Peavey is giving me problems, and if I DO happen to replace it, I want something more simple. If the Peavey worked fine I would just keep it.
Quote by KAS1981
The main reason I'm thinking of ditching the Peavey, is because its malfunctioning, plain and simple.

The ****ing thing has to be turned on & off a half-dozen times before it will run, sometimes it doesn't even run. ****ing Hong Kong bull****.

Anyway, if the thing would work right I would keep it. But since its not I might be replacing it.

use your warranty
feel free to add me
i blow 500 bucks on the MG100dfx
it doesnt sound as good as i thought...so ya i wouldnt recommend it
also DONT buy line 6 spider 2 or 3 ...just crap
try a fender or a traynor
Roland cubes never fail as beginner amps
Surprised the vypyr didnt work out for you, try reading/watching more about it? I generally see good reviews for it. Definently try the cube if returning the peavey
Cubes are terrible, dont waste your money. Vypers are awesome, maybe you got a lemon. Take it to a tech, or update the firmware.
What about an orange crush 15R? I played the orange crush 10 and its great little amp, the 15 watt has reverb too so should be better for only like 30 bucks more.
I understand there is a new patch to correct some of the problems with the Vypyr. I have the 15w and it's pretty decent.

But if you want to go simple then take a peak at something like a Blackheart little giant. Its got a volume and tone controls and thats it.
Quote by KAS1981

Just get it fixed. The Marshall you're looking at is notorious for breaking.
Get your vypyr working. It's the perfect beginner's amp.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top