Page 1 of 2
Ok, so she comes to my door. Great! Plug er in, sounds awesome. Turn the amp off. Then the next time I turn it on and take it off standby I hear a loud WHOOOOOOOOSHing like waves at the beach..louder and louder. Then it fades in comes back, repeat. Then eventually it just goes away but the distortion sounds like ****. Really fuzzy, weak, thin...wtf happened? Do I need to return this amp already?

Edit: I switched out V1..no dice. i guess i will try the other preamp tubes tomorrow. It's too late right now.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Sounds alot like some bad preamp tubes.
Is it just on one channel, or all of the channels?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Sounds alot like some bad preamp tubes.
Is it just on one channel, or all of the channels?

When the whooshing is happening..it'll do it thru all channels. but then when it fades away after about a min of fading and coming back, the distortion on channel 2 and 3 sounds horrid.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Hmm... I still think it's something with the preamp tubes.
I'd wait for a second opinion though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Oh noooz!

Damn, i was still reeling from your NAD thread. Did you play it at the store first or was this a ship in? Did you let it warm up for a good 5 minutes before playing? Clean channel too huh? Like said, preamp tubes sound like the issue. Hope you didn't get one of the lemons as I hear there are some out there. MatrixClaw, where are you?

*gasp*
... lift the ground ...

Sounds like 60hz hum.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
... lift the ground ...

Sounds like 60hz hum.

you can hear his amp while you're in a different city??

who knew the 5150III was so friggin loud..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
MatrixClaw, where are you?

*gasp*

It really does sound like a preamp issue, but since you just bought it, I'd just return it. No point in you fixing anything if it's still under warranty. That sucks though man, just when you got it and you're all happy, that has to go and happen and kill your excitement

It could be power tubes though, that does sound vaguely like what would happen if they were dying, but if volume isn't dropping with the "wooshes," I kind of doubt it. Either way, return it for a new one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Are the powertubes glowing really hot? Like pretty much blue? The guitarist in my old band had a similar problem with his deville combo. It made his amp sound like garbage.

What caused the problem is we played a show in atlanta and it was ungodly hot. Next thing you know his 1/4 inch connector (from amp to speakers) broke off in the the speaker output jack. So that night he soldered the speaker wire to the amp. The next gig we played he had the issue that you are describing plus his tubes were glowing blue. It ended up he did a poor solder connection from amp/speaker and thats what was causing the issue.

Anyways, moral of the story. If it isn't tube related, there might be a poor soldering job somewhere in the amp and you just might have to take it to a tech to check it out.
If it has 6L6's they should be burning blue or a light violet. If you have EL34's burning that color you're in ****ville
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
If it has 6L6's they should be burning blue or a light violet. If you have EL34's burning that color you're in ****ville

I don't the entire tube should be glowing blue even if it is a 6L6...
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Mine get blue in the middle and orange and the ends.

I wonder if it voids the warranty if he takes his 1 known good preamp tube and cycles it thru all 8 to see if he can find a bad one.

yes, there are 8 of them.

Nah the site will take it back. In fact, they said they will ship it back to Fender and get THEIR money back.

Plus, I can do the tube changes without them even being able to tell

I'm going to do that later on though. Hopefully that is the issue. If not, stuff like this happens :P It really did put a damper on my mood, but no use crying over spilled milk. HOPEFULLY the tubes are the problem.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
you've got a great attitude brother, that's how i would have handled it. See if your 'site' can get you an advanced replacement so you are not without an amp very long. Tell them you have gig coming up.

Good luck and keep us posted.
It's zzounds. Their service is impeccable. Unforntuately, I got their last amp. Should they have had another one, they'd send it to me One-Day Shipping as soon as I would have told them my amp isn't up to par. Then they'd give me a pre-paid shipping label. If they didnt have the damaged amp back in a week, they'd charged me for the other one they shipped out :P

I'm goin home now, I'll do the tube swaps and let you know how it went in about an hour-hour and half.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
I don't the entire tube should be glowing blue even if it is a 6L6...

Any tube can have a blue glow, it has nothing to do with the tube dieing or what type of tube it is. The only reason some tubes have a bule glow is becasue the tube has some manufactures use kobalt in their tubes, electrons put a charge on the kobalt parts and kobalt electrons end up leaching out, and the metal tends to give off a blue glow as it breaks down. This is completly normal and means nothing.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Bad news. The preamp tubes didn't do the trick. My guess it's a bad solder joint inside...though im not going poking around in there. If I have to repair an amp on the first day i get it, no thanks. It sucks that a 1600 dollar amp is Made in Mexico. Oh well, I'm gonna go to the store later and run some more amps and see what I like, or wait just get another 5150 III thinking it was a lemon. Might give the 6505+ a go. Bias mod it and good to go.

NAD was fun while it lasted though..heheh
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
One bad amp shouldn't cloud your judgement. Just replace the 5150III for a 6505.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
One bad amp shouldn't cloud your judgement. Just replace the 5150III for a 6505.

For sure, in fact I might get another 5150 III, my guess is that I just got a bad one...

I had a 6505, and I didn't really like it much. But now that I have a cab besides the marshall 1960 (that amps worst enemy), and I know how to bias the amp (if the adjustable one isnt enough), I might give the 6505+ a whirl.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
For sure, in fact I might get another 5150 III, my guess is that I just got a bad one...

I had a 6505, and I didn't really like it much. But now that I have a cab besides the marshall 1960 (that amps worst enemy), and I know how to bias the amp (if the adjustable one isnt enough), I might give the 6505+ a whirl.

Yup, stuff like that happens. Even 4 grand amps made in the USA have there share of lemons. And I say go for another 5150 III before you jump ship onto another amp.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, stuff like that happens. Even 4 grand amps made in the USA have there share of lemons. And I say go for another 5150 III before you jump ship onto another amp.

Yea that's exactly what I am thinking. The (working) 5150 III's sound like sex.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121

Yup, and as much as I love the good ole 6505 to me you would be taking a huge step down. The 5150 III trumps it in every way man...
daymn, bad luck there

whats the difference with the EVH III and a 6505? does it have better cleans or such?
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The 5150-3 is a brand new amp from the ground up and is made by Fender in accordance with the anal specs/testing of Eddie Van Halen and is rebranded under his EVH brand.

Channel 1 is Fender clean. 2 and 3 are teh br00tlz

Sounds awesome. Makes me wish I was in a band and had 1600 laying around.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by kayman121

Agreed. The voice of the EVH is killer. When I got mine, though, the footswitch did some seriously weird sh!t. Had to get a new one right away. Just for laughs, maybe disconnect the footswitch cable from the back of the amp, & see if the weirdness goes away. Probably won't make a difference, but you never know.
Try running it on just the 2 inner or 2 outer power tubes (pull 2) to rule out a bad power tube or tube socket. Just remember to switch the amp's output impedance to half the cab load (use 8 ohm setting on amp for 16 ohm cab, 4 ohm for 8 ohm cab).
Really sorry to hear you're having such bad luck with it, but they'll get it right soon enough, & you'll have teh secks amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
They are 6L6s.

Either Kayman is running some trouble-shooting or he's balled up in the corner with his new amp petting it gently.

sorry Kayman, this is not time for joking.

\oh boy have i been there with various electronic pieces in my lifetime....
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Are you allowed to refund it for another 5150III?
If you can - you know what to do my friend.

I agree
they are sex
Quote by signedinbloodnz
Are you allowed to refund it for another 5150III?
If you can - you know what to do my friend.

I agree
they are sex

I can but they are currently out of stock. Gotta wait till they get some more or get it elsewhere.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
I think it'd be worth the wait then, yeah?

the 5150 III are damn amazing amps and when you can use it without the woosh then that'll be amazing

and i'll wanna steal it again.
Quote by signedinbloodnz
I think it'd be worth the wait then, yeah?

the 5150 III are damn amazing amps and when you can use it without the woosh then that'll be amazing

and i'll wanna steal it again.

haha. hopefully the wait will be worth it
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Bad news. The preamp tubes didn't do the trick. My guess it's a bad solder joint inside...though im not going poking around in there. If I have to repair an amp on the first day i get it, no thanks. It sucks that a 1600 dollar amp is Made in Mexico. Oh well, I'm gonna go to the store later and run some more amps and see what I like, or wait just get another 5150 III thinking it was a lemon. Might give the 6505+ a go. Bias mod it and good to go.

NAD was fun while it lasted though..heheh

Unfortunately this is not a unique situation. My tech has had quite a few of these in for repair. One completely caught on fire. There was an update of somekind made to the internals of this amp (sorry, don't remember what it was anymore). If for some circumstance yours is one that needs an update you can contact a local Fender repair facility for help. I would probably return yours though since it's new. Ask for an exchange and wait it out. They are really nice amps when you get a good one. It's worth waiting for a new one I think. Either way, good luck man. Sorry about your luck.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Unfortunately this is not a unique situation. My tech has had quite a few of these in for repair. One completely caught on fire. There was an update of somekind made to the internals of this amp (sorry, don't remember what it was anymore). If for some circumstance yours is one that needs an update you can contact a local Fender repair facility for help. I would probably return yours though since it's new. Ask for an exchange and wait it out. They are really nice amps when you get a good one. It's worth waiting for a new one I think. Either way, good luck man. Sorry about your luck.

Caught on fire ehh? When I had mine on for longer than 10 minutes I started to notice a funky burning smell so I turned the amp off before I damaged anything.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, and as much as I love the good ole 6505 to me you would be taking a huge step down. The 5150 III trumps it in every way man...

I wouldn't say that, i'd much rather have a good ole 5150 for playing extreme metal, the 5153 just wasn't as tight and aggressive.

But for everything else, the 5153 is much better, yes.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Johnbryant
Any tube can have a blue glow, it has nothing to do with the tube dieing or what type of tube it is. The only reason some tubes have a bule glow is becasue the tube has some manufactures use kobalt in their tubes, electrons put a charge on the kobalt parts and kobalt electrons end up leaching out, and the metal tends to give off a blue glow as it breaks down. This is completly normal and means nothing.

this is true, most of the time it's just impurities in the manufacturing process, and can happen with any tube. The vivid fluorescent blue doesn't mean anything about tube life. It looks like it's sticking to the glass or parts of the tube. There is another blue however that is not good, it's the purple pinkish blue that's kind of hazy and sitting between the plates. This is a sign of air in the tube and indicates a problem with the seal of the vacuum. This is not good and the tube should be replaced.

Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

I wouldn't say that, i'd much rather have a good ole 5150 for playing extreme metal, the 5153 just wasn't as tight and aggressive.

have to agree, the 5153 rapes it in versatility, but for extreme metal, the 5150 wins IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx

You are correct, but how does an amp only good at one thing make it better then an amp that is great at everything. That's a flaw in my book and not a good selling point. Why step down, that's like going from a splawn to a JCM800 just because its a tad bit better at an original classic rock tone but sucks at everything else. And i'm pretty sure he didnt look at that head and say I only want brutal out of it.

But dont get me wrong for balls out new metal only the 5150 trumps a hell of alot amps. But given the choice I would still pick a 5150III over it. Plus the thing is still new no telling how raw and tight she can get with the right setup.

But like they say different strokes for different folks.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You are correct, but how does an amp only good at one thing make it better then an amp that is great at everything. That's a flaw in my book and not a good selling point. Why step down, that's like going from a splawn to a JCM800 just because its a tad bit better at an original classic rock tone but sucks at everything else. And i'm pretty sure he didnt look at that head and say I only want brutal out of it.

But dont get me wrong for balls out new metal only the 5150 trumps a hell of alot amps. But given the choice I would still pick a 5150III over it. Plus the thing is still new no telling how raw and tight she can get with the right setup.

But like they say different strokes for different folks.

I was just pointing out the one area the 5153 doesn't trump the original in
I still say the III is the better overall amp, that's hard to disagree with.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Page 1 of 2