Poll: Should I play bass with my fingers or a pick?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I play bass with my fingers or a pick?
Fingers
20 95%
Pick
1 5%
Voters: 21.
I play bass quite alot, and usually play sorta things like Red Hot Chili Peppers and somewhat metal styles but I don't know if I should just play with a pick or with my fingers?
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

//Are you as think as i drunk you are?//

Quote by DrPants PhD

-Some pregnant teacher threw up on my sister, lawl.
OWNED
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
play with both, its not like you can't.

this and reporting...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
why are you reporting me?

i said play with both. like if its chilli's play with your fingers. if its metal play with a pick.
Fingers is the way to go. Those big bass strings need somthing a bit bigger than a pick. And unlike guitar, you have a ton of space inbetween strings.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
hmm....the humanity, i think you have a dirty mind. Glad I figured out why report on good advice. Your mind was elsewhere.
Yeah Wtf up the ****s up with the reporting?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
no pick vs finger threads. read the rules. both are useful and needed styles, you should play both.

EDIT: I was not implementing my dirty mind.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

You should get practice with both, people saying fingers are the only real way to play bass belong together with the people that say distortion is ruining the guitars sound.

In the ice age.
why did you report that? he didnt do anything wrong

w/e, i play with my fingers, i used to play with a pick but gave that up now that my band has a second guitarist and now I only need to worry about the low end (which fingers is better for).

but yeah, with a pick, you get a better attack and more treble

with fingers, a bigger bass sound, you can also get a decent amount of treble by plucking near the bridge. although sometimes with fingers i've noticed, you may get an annoying sore-throat-bronchitis kind of sound (hard to explain, listen to make them suffer by cannibal corpse (especially the beginning) and focus on the bass, you'll hear what i'm talking about - don't get me wrong, alex webster is an amazing bassist) when the fingers pluck the string.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
the thread wasn't about pick vs fingers....it wasn't like 'WHICH IS BETTER? PICK OR FINGERS?'

The thread starter was merely inquiring the public's opinion on which style should he consult. He was not pitting the techniques against each other. And he says he plays somewhat metal styles, so i recommend fingers.
Quote by Tezzquill
the thread wasn't about pick vs fingers....it wasn't like 'WHICH IS BETTER? PICK OR FINGERS?'

The thread starter was merely inquiring the public's opinion on which style should he consult. He was not pitting the techniques against each other. And he says he plays somewhat metal styles, so i recommend fingers.

THANK YOU
Have Heart

xXx STRAIGHT EDGE xXx

//Are you as think as i drunk you are?//

Quote by DrPants PhD

-Some pregnant teacher threw up on my sister, lawl.
OWNED
Quote by the humanity
no pick vs finger threads. read the rules. both are useful and needed styles, you should play both.

Where have you people been? It's a mortal sin to make these threads here or at least it was for a while. I'm pretty sure it's stickied.

EDIT: This isn't a Pick vs. Fingers thread but it's close enough. I've seen tons of threads like this go to hell really quick, that's why humanity reported it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by the humanity

HOW COULD THAT BE INTERPRETED DIRTY! IM STUMPED!!!!! SRSLY EVERYONE!
Try adding more delay.
Caps is cruise control for cool.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hey guys, quit posting a reported thread.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

This IS a Pick Vs. Finger thread. And SHOULD be closed, but I'm feeling benevolent today so I'm going to let it go till it gets bad enough to close. If one of my fellow mods decides to close it, feel free to and I will not care in the slightest.

I personally would use my fingers, because I can play faster and better with mine, but some people can do better with picks, so it's all just a question of style, I don't think one style is better for one type of genre or not. But picks give a more... sharp sound is how I would phrase it, and fingers give more of a beefy sound.

But with fingers it's easyier to slap and pop, because you don't have to worry about losing your pick, which I've done before...
The reason this is getting closed is:

1. No vs thread.
2. There are hundreds of other threads out there on this topic. Use the search bar for the love of god.
3. These usually end up in a lovely flame war where a mod has to end up warning, banning etc a few folks because emotions run high.

Merry Christmas and remember you're all bassists and better people for it and accepting of all styles of playing your instrument.