i've been playing for about a year, and im self taught, so i'm looking for a little bit of direction.
so far i have theses techniques and stuff down nicely:

Alternate picking
Harmonics
Pinch Harmonics
Bends
powerchords
some sweep picking
slides
finger tapping
palm mute
finger mute
and all the general stuff you learn in your first 12 months...

Where do i go from here? i really want to be able to play fast/slow heavy riffs and so on. imm not really too worried about soloing yet but should i look at soon?
i just need some points to work towards if someone can help

\m/
Clancy
Ask your guitar teacher maybe? Idk I'm below your level lol.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
play everything until you find something you cant do and then learn

i wish i had talent....
It has come to my recent attention that our good friend CoreysMonster is not permanently detained in the Fotb.

i would like to make an apology to the following people:

that is all.

I use Linux
Music theory?

Everything you listed was more technique than it was music theory.

Learn to play in different styles too.

That can come in handy when writing a song. You can implement different styles for possibly a more unique sound.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by metalmanjosip
play everything until you find something you cant do and then learn

i wish i had talent....
well i do, but its harder to find some new material lately, that im interested in playing
Quote by x_thurston_x
Music theory?

Everything you listed was more technique than it was music theory.

Learn to play in different styles too.

That can come in handy when writing a song. You can implement different styles for possibly a more unique sound.

yeah, i have dabbled in some acoustic, and i love blues guitarwork, so i might dig a little deeper
All of the notes and intervals on the fret board, learn some chord theory, learn general theory. Not to be a dick, but from the sound of your recordings you need to go back over all that stuff you listed and pay a Shiit load of attention to your rhythm and tempo too.
Learn whole songs that challenge you, then put your own spin on things where you find it necessary. I think it helps you develop your own style. I'm no expert though.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
Quote by Nike-Man
All of the notes and intervals on the fret board, learn some chord theory, learn general theory. Not to be a dick, but from the sound of your recordings you need to go back over all that stuff you listed and pay a Shiit load of attention to your rhythm and tempo too.

yeah bro, theres no point listening to m recordings, because my microphone screws them up and my soundboard is trippy, so im looking at getting some recording ****t
IDK, I've been playing like 19 months or so, and I'm barely able to do some of the stuff you listed, also, I'm not 100% on what "Alternate picking" is exsactly(newbish, I know), But I know a hella lot of music theory, because I thought for some reason that was far more important than technique, but yeah, theory=solos usually, I can do alot of improvised stuff with theory knowledge, it is super useful.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Tech death is the way to go. The Faceless and Arsis are a good place to start. Now this post is probably going to start two arguments. One is that The Faceless would be considered technical deathcore to some. They fall between the category of technical deathcore and technical death metal, and in this case I'm just throwing them into tech death to shorten this. The second is probably that you're going to complain about how hard tech death is. That's the point of why I suggested it. It's hard to learn and play, but it's also good because it tests your skill all the time, whether it be in the timings, solos, riffs, whatever. Point being, learn some tech death stuff. Start with The Faceless' album Akeldama and Arsis songs.
Quote by darkeskater
Tech death is the way to go. The Faceless and Arsis are a good place to start. Now this post is probably going to start two arguments. One is that The Faceless would be considered technical deathcore to some. They fall between the category of technical deathcore and technical death metal, and in this case I'm just throwing them into tech death to shorten this. The second is probably that you're going to complain about how hard tech death is. That's the point of why I suggested it. It's hard to learn and play, but it's also good because it tests your skill all the time, whether it be in the timings, solos, riffs, whatever. Point being, learn some tech death stuff. Start with The Faceless' album Akeldama and Arsis songs.

lol, yeah, i dunno if i could really play that stuff- i mean tech death has to be one the most melodic fast complex genres of guitarwork, but i'll look into it, thanks bro
Learn all styles of guitar. This has taken my guitar playing to another level. I'm a metalhead but sometimes it gets boring. Learn Jazz, Blues, Finger Picking, Classical, and play a lot on a cleaner tone as your mistakes come out more..
The most talented man on earth...
Seriously, just listen to songs and try to play aload of styles until you find one that you're comfortable with. Currently my guitar playing is too metal orientated for my liking so I'm learning songs like Muse to try and balance it out. Always try new styles out mate, it'll increase your abilities exponentially.

Good luck
yeah, i have been trying out some other styles, and i've found that im actyally good at blues and country stuff, and i hate to admit it but i tried some of michael jacksons early songs and they were mad fun
Teeth picking. That stuff's hard!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Quote by gavz_verdikt
Teeth picking. That stuff's hard!

Or, better yet, teeth sweeping
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,