well, i've finally found the perfect,cheap guitar..the TW155 AS from Tanglewood...

but the problem is, when i checked the guitar thoroughly while i was trying it, i saw that the bridge pins weren't in a perfect straight line...i also noticed this on other guitars from other brands...

is it suppose to be like that?

oh yeah..and does anyone have this guitar too? what do you think of it?
the bridge is perfectly fine...but is it normal for the brige pins to be out of line
If it is all randomly crooked then its not right. Otherwise, its probably just to look cool
I googled your guitar....when you said "cheap" I was expecting something else. It looks nice from the description.

To answer your question directly, it is not normal. Does that mean it's bad? Not necessarily.

Bad, broken down into two parts: sound, and manufacture.

Sound--don't worry about it.

Manufacture--Small concern.

Factories set up jigs to punch out pieces, and then put them together.

Some factories buy pieces from other factories. Like cars. The car manufacturer doesn't make all the parts. They buy them, and then assemble them.

The bridge was carved and drilled by some machine, somewhere. Then it was put in a box with a thousand other bridges, and distributed to the manufacturing line.

The face of the guitar is produced the same way. It is shaped, drilled, etc, and then delivered to the assembly line.

So, the million dollar question is-----did the holes in the bridge line up with the holes in the face of the guitar? Probably not.

This might not sound like much, depending on which way the holes are out of alignment.

Here is the problem. Get a piece of paper, and draw two round circles, one on top of the other. Make the second one a little off center of the first one. What you actually end up with is an oval, relatively speaking. Unless the bridge was hand fit and and finished, you probably have an oval going on.

What the oval can do is let the end of the guitar string get more up in the hole with the bridge pin...(depending on the relationship between bridge hold and face hole)...that's not the way it's designed to work.

So, if it were me and, as you say, this was the perfect guitar, I would get a flashlight and an inspection mirror and look inside at the pins where they come through the face.

Look at the ends of the strings. Are they fit properly on the bottom, or are they trying to climb up into the bridge pin hole? If you don't know how strings are supposed to fit up on the underside, you can google and find pics.

I know this might sound like a lot to go through, but if it's the guitar you want, it only take a minute or two to check it out.

If that is the problem, it can be fixed. I'm buying the tool to fix one of my guitars that has a similar problem.

I wouldn't necessarily let it be a deal killer.

But, you might be able to use this info to leverage a better price. First, you have a cosmetic issue with the alignment. Second, you might have a potential issue on the underside that a luthier will have to solve for you.
Quote by NoobOnZone
well, i've finally found the perfect,cheap guitar..the TW155 AS from Tanglewood...

but the problem is, when i checked the guitar thoroughly while i was trying it, i saw that the bridge pins weren't in a perfect straight line...i also noticed this on other guitars from other brands...

is it suppose to be like that?

oh yeah..and does anyone have this guitar too? what do you think of it?

Are you asking about the bridge pins being at an angle across the face of the bridge just like the saddle is? If so, then no worries, it's supposed to be that way. This gives each string the same amount for the break angle(the short bit of string between the pins and the top of the saddle). Are the pins sitting at different heights? Again, no worries, as this can be fixed next time the strings are changed. Do the pins do a zig-zag as you sight across them? That would be odd, and if it's this then I'd maybe steer clear of that particular guitar.
actually, i just discovered the pic on the tanglewood website of the guitar has its bridge pins slightly out of line..can you guys check it out?
THe pic I'm looking at, well, I can't see the pins so well.

Provide a link.

I did scope out some of their other guitars, and their pins seem to be in a straight line.
Quote by LeftyDave
Are you asking about the bridge pins being at an angle across the face of the bridge just like the saddle is? If so, then no worries, it's supposed to be that way. This gives each string the same amount for the break angle(the short bit of string between the pins and the top of the saddle). Are the pins sitting at different heights? Again, no worries, as this can be fixed next time the strings are changed. Do the pins do a zig-zag as you sight across them? That would be odd, and if it's this then I'd maybe steer clear of that particular guitar.

Listen to Dave. He is one of the most knowledgable people in this forum, and like always, he's right.

EDIT: I just saw a picture of a Tanglewood. I hate their headstocks. They ripped off Martin AND Takamine!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Dec 19, 2008,
wait...heres a picture of it..

look closely...its exactly how the actual one i'm interested in looks like...

the first two string pins are slightly off line
Wow, that's hard to see. But, like I said before, I wouldn't let it be a deal killer.
If it sounds and feels good, buy it.

It's as you have been told.

The bridge pins are in line with the saddle, so that each string has the same length behind the saddle.

That will be fine.
It isn't a flaw. That is how all acoustic bridges are.

Is anyone else seeing the headstock design rip off? It's like a Martin head with a Takamine logo!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
It isn't a flaw. That is how all acoustic bridges are.

Is anyone else seeing the headstock design rip off? It's like a Martin head with a Takamine logo!

It is EXACTLY like a Martin with a Takemine Logo, apart from the logo, says Tanglewood
... ...

That really bothers me. They ripped off two huge companies! Does anyone else smell a lawsuit in the future?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
nono..i mean the pins...i'm not talking about whether their parallel with the saddle...if you look closely to the first two pins on the right, they are slightly lower in linement...

ah anyways, i plays perfectly..sounds great too!

well, aren't there other headstocks that are just simple like that too? and well teh name IS kinda long..
Honestly, I don't recall ever hearing that Martin holds a patent on the shape of it's headstock. It's purely functional is all. Now the name that's plastered onto it, hell yea, but not so sure about that shape. It's a fairly common design for acoustic guitars and there are others with that same shape. You can buy a new neck for an acoustic guitar from Stewart Macdonald or Warmoth with this shape. If it were a patent problem, it's easy enough to get around by making subtle changes to the shape and calling it your own.
And back to NoobOnZone's thing, the main reason some guitars have some pins offset like this is to keep even pressure on the saddle. The saddle is compensated(at an angle) and if the pins and strings were all in a nice line with the rest of the guitar, there would be uneven pressure applied to the saddle. It's easily overcome by changing the layout of the pins so that they more closely match that of the saddle, with the end result being a more even downforce on the saddle.
BTW, I'm also toying with the idea of purchasing a Tanglewood guitar. They just so happen to have a lefty 12 stringer in their lineup, and it's at a very affordable price. Quite tempting seeing as how I've wanted a 12 string for a long time now, but decent ones for lefties are usually either too expensive, or would have to be custom built, and are still too expensive.
Hey guys, don't take my headstock thing personally. I was just kidding around...and in all honesty it bothers me a little when a company doesn't come up with its own unique headstock. You can easily tell a Martin, Taylor, Takamine, Epiphone, Gibson, Breedlove, Washburn, and Seagull apart.

I don't know why, but it's just one of my little pointless pet peeves
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
^ It's cool, I just don't want people to get turned off of a guitar line just because of the shape of the headstock and the possibility that it could be a patent infringement. It's rather doubtful that the Tanglewoods would still be in business if they were ripping off Martin. Sort of a David and Goliath scenario here. But in this one Goliath wins. Hell, I don't know. Maybe there's some pending lawsuit going on and we don't know about it. It's still not going to stop me from trying to buy this:

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/default.asp?cID=66459285&sID=66459293

Assuming I can get one shipped here to my dealer in the US. He has connections tho, so we shall see. I'm most impressed with the specs of the guitar. All solid woods, bone nut and saddle, MOP snowflake inlays on fretboard, lefty, and it's a 12 stringer. Almost too good to be true for the price tag.
oh gosh..i so need a new acoustic and i so want this one...yet my other friend wants this one too..
So? You can both have one. It's not like people will be like Z0mGZ y0u H@z t3h $am3 G33tarz!
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray