Page 1 of 2
Quote by AllTimeNewbie
You are surprised?

yeah i am, ive been head banging for years, i feel fine...... i think.....
Uhm...
Duh?
As a devoted metalhead, it's not exactly news. I would have thought that having any metalhead say "the show as great, but I couldn't move my neck for 3 days after" would have been a decent enough indication. I got a much more in depth study in an email about 6 hours ago from my mum. In it, the researcher indicated that to gague this, he went to see Motley Crue, Motorhead and Ozzy Osbourne, and all I could think was "I would love to see this guy try and get accurate readings at a Cannibal Corpse, Nile or Dimmu Borgir" show.

In summary;
Head banging is obviously detrimental to health. Playing music at those levels is as well. Such problems can be avoided by wearing ear plugs (even when seeing bands), and not pushing it.

Duh.
For real...

I do it, but not all the time at a break neck *get it? Lawl...* pace.

I try to do almost a lazy style of headbang, big arch but slower speed. Gets the hair going pretty good without me getting a bullet to the brain
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
What's wrong with you people? Since when did hip-thrusting go out of style?

*Humps the air*
Quote by Survivalism
Apparently, common sense is bad for you, too.

sorry, i didnt know head banging causing strokes was common sense lol
For about the first 30 gigs I did with my current band (first decent band, sof irst time I really put on a 'performance' on stage, as opposed to just standing there) I would have an aching neck the next morning.

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for things you enjoy doing - would I rather stand there like a shop window dummy and suffer no physical stress, or try and accentuate the music at the possible risk of an aching neck the next morning? The latter for sure. That being said, we're far from 'br00tal' metal, just old school metal with a modern twist if it makes sense.

Quote by YoHendrix

Footballers and other athletes also have strokes and some have died of heart failure - does that means those sports should be classed as detrimental to your health? If you look into EVERY eventuality everything could be considered dangerous. Risk and Safety assessments just take the fun out of everyday life most of the time, rather than their intended job.
Quote by YoHendrix

Guitarist from Evanescence anyone?

damn i wish there was an over-sized facepalm smiley.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Footballers and other athletes also have strokes and some have died of heart failure - does that means those sports should be classed as detrimental to your health? If you look into EVERY eventuality everything could be considered dangerous. Risk and Safety assessments just take the fun out of everyday life most of the time, rather than their intended job.

Yeah that's a good point, everything physically enjoyable could be a health risk

F*ck health risks, im head banging anyway!
I don't headbang anyways, I think. I get lost in my music, so I pay no attention to myself or the environment anyways o_O
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music."
— Albert Einstein
i headbanged for the whole 3 inches of blood concert and when i got outside i could barely keep my head to see where i was going hahaa it was awesome night, theres no doubt its bad for your neck, but look at kerry king and corpsegrinders necks they are huge from headbanging they prob dont feel a thing now, so i guess the lesson is build your neck muscles up then headbang and youll be ok
Shredder Guitar wrote:

what the hell "even my chains...."

yeah, we dont wanna hear about your sexual devices, or anything of that matter.
Anyone else notice how biased that is against metal? The arrogant little comments about easy listening and ****.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
Yeah, because jerking your head and neck around to the beat of a 200BPM song ISN'T going to be bad for you.

A little common sense peeps, surely.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
he got a stroke from headbanging?

Terry Balsamo (guitarist for Cold and Evanescence) according to wiki:

In November of 2005, Balsamo suffered a stroke. The doctors informed him that it was a result of a blood clot in his neck that formed from headbanging on-stage. Terry has since recovered and is back touring with the band. As a result from his injury, he now uses his dreadlocks as a stage act by shaking them and bringing them forward while standing still, so as not to create too much movement and thus avoiding further problems.

I was too lazy to find the actual article here in UG.

EDIT: Terry Balsamo
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Dec 18, 2008,
Ain't this common knowledge?

Also:

"It applies the "theoretical headbanging model" to cartoon wunderkinder Beavis and Butt-head, dancing to The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" at 164 beats per minute.

The range of motion of Beavis' head is about 45 degrees, which is below the injury threshold.

For Butt-head, though, the prospects are not so great.

He headbangs with a range of motion of about 75 degrees, with the risk of "level one" head injuries -- headaches and dizziness."

That's brilliant.
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Trivium
Anyone else notice how biased that is against metal? The arrogant little comments about easy listening and ****.

yeah that's were i got 'WTF' from
Every time you swing your head around it's like giving yourself a mini concussion as your brain is sloshing around in your head. Makes sense.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
You know why it's biased against metal? Because metal is shite.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

you do realize that is the most ****ed up sentence ever
Metal fans could wear a neck brace while headbanging -- or stick to listening to Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, Enya and Richard Clayderman, joke Patton and McIntosh.

Sense.
None was f**king made.
Quote by Terastr
Sense.
None was f**king made.

i agree, they are really trying to insult Metal lovers......

although Micheal Bolton is awesome !
Quote by YoHendrix
you do realize that is the most ****ed up sentence ever

Mate, most metal bands just pull songs straight out of their arsecrack.

There are only a small number of bands in that genre that don't use repetitive chord sequences or really stale musical ideas.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist

Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by rabidguitarist

There are only a small number of bands in that genre that don't use repetitive chord sequences or really stale musical ideas.

Look, if your suming up Metal as ****, repetitive and stale, you chatting absolute ****! and if you judging Metal by the one or two songs you've heard by Avenged Sevenfold you are a moron! please go listen to some Priest and shut the **** up!
Quote by NinjaLamppost
This has been known for ages mate...a couple of members of metal bands have had neck injuries from headbanging the whole time at shows.

It's a pretty bad article, but it's true.

Thats correct!
check out Jason Newsted on wikipedia
Quote by rabidguitarist

You could say that about most popular styles of music. Just because some bands in a genre suck, doesn't mean they all do. Get off your high horse.
Quote by YoHendrix
Look, if your suming up Metal as ****, repetitive and stale, you chatting absolute ****! and if you judging Metal by the one or two songs you've heard by Avenged Sevenfold you are a moron! please go listen to some Priest and shut the **** up!

I spent a good few years listening to only metal, and when you've listened to that much metal, you get tired of hearing the same chords over and over again, the same simple vocal melodies over and over again, and the same tired concepts and unimaginative ideas.

Like I said, I'm not summing metal up, but the majority of what I've heard is musical bollocks. There are only a few bands I know of that truly make good metal music.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Page 1 of 2