Right, I thought about putting this in the gear thread but I'm guessing that's for guitar-related gear, mostly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm looking for a mic that's good for recording vocals and instruments. I have a budget of about $200-250 (about 120-150 for you Americans.)
I'm not worried so much about live performance, but it would be nice to have it able to do both.

I was thinking of the Shure SM57 or SM58. Anyone have any suggestions?
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Rode M3 Seriously.

Edit: I wasn't paying attention after I saw the first $ price hehe, I'm not sure what they'd cost over there so you'd prbably have to stretch your budget a little but for recording vocals and instruments without having various mics for their own nuances I'd say the M3 is great for the price - I own one and use it for acoustic guitars and have used it for vocals before. I got mine for £75 thought that was in a shop's closing down sale...

Rode M3 (Aus site)
Review
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Dec 18, 2008,
GO with the sm58 they're bullet proof and always sound great
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by roaddawg07
GO with the sm58 they're bullet proof and always sound great

Not the best for recording though. I'd go with a nice condenser.. but the pit really isn't the place for this thread.. The gear forum would get alot better responses.
I step up to da mic. Bust a rhyme about my hoes, tippin' on fo' fo's.. and someone shoots me in the face. Because rap is stupid.

Quote by Laces Out Danny
YOU ARE the PIT!!!
SM57s are more for recording instruments, i don't think they hold up too well against vocals too much, when recording guitars with an SM58 (or equivelent) it sounds very trebly, i think you should look at condensers like the rest said, maybe an AKGC1000, although i am not sure on price.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
57's and 58's are good (especially live) but a condenser mic is much better for recording. Make sure you have something to power them (either phantom power, some can have a battery) and be more careful with them.