Page 1 of 2
Bit of a vague title, I admit, but it's something a bit different from the usual topics that are posted here in AT.

Obviously most of the people who post and lurk around here are looking to push their abilities past those of casual players, but is there any particular reason you do this?
ever since i heard little wing (hendrix version, original and best) and canon rock (funtwo version) i've wanted to be able to play them both. so need to get better to be able to play both
Well tbh, I kinda have this slight rivalry with one of my mates to play impressive stuff, probs the wrong reasons but it seems to be working.
I would also like to be able to play something on the spot, remember it and have it sounding good enough to be left alone with no changing or tweaking for the song.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Desire of wanting to play reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaally really fast and being able to know what to play without thinking too hard.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
chicks (deep down its the reason we all play...unless your a girl or gay)
Quote by Tempoe

I'm not a girl...

I'm definitely not gay...

But no, seriously, now that I think about it, the reason why I wanted to be good was to look for a sort of ecstasy from playing guitar, kind of like playing a beautiful melody and afterwards feeling a wet sensation in your pants...

Yeah...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Uhhhh, because I don't do the 50% thing.
Quote by Tempoe
Or an intelligent human being?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
because i'm intensely jealous of the guitarists who can be 'one' with the guitar and music, because when I play well, it doesn't matter what's going on elsewhere, I'm on top of the world, because it gives me something to do, yeah partly because of chicks, because I like playing crowds, because, well just because
I want to play what's in my head without having to think too much about the technical side - ie. being able to be creative without having limits of what I can pull off or not (within reason of course), and just being able to devote more of my mind to the playing, and less to the mechanics of it.
That and I want to be able pick stuff up faster. Rather than learning something, then having to spend a bunch of time working it up to speed, just be able to learn it and play it.
Quote by Freepower
Because playing and listening to my own music is more fun the betterer I am.

^ I like that answer.

I think my reason is pretty much the same....... My main goal is to enjoy playing ( of course I hope people enjoy listening to me play as well). learning new things and getting "better", definitely contribute to that enjoyment.
shred is gaudy music
This

Quote by SilverDark
Desire of wanting to play reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaally really fast and being able to know what to play without thinking too hard.

This

Quote by SimplyBen
Well tbh, I kinda have this slight rivalry with one of my mates to play impressive stuff, probs the wrong reasons but it seems to be working.
I would also like to be able to play something on the spot, remember it and have it sounding good enough to be left alone with no changing or tweaking for the song.

This
Quote by Roast Beef
blowjobs

This
Quote by SilverDark

AND THIS
Quote by ramm_ty
Uhhhh, because I don't do the 50% thing.

Want me to tell you why I'm here? Cause I wanna be the ****ing very best, like no one ever was!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
I can't think of myself settling down with being contrite and mediocre at guiar

Besides, I love music in general and I can't see myself living w/o it.
The music in my head will drive me insane if I don't learn how to play it. Also, the chicks in my area dig teh shredz. Im so ****ing lucky .

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Just about every single answer in this thread applies to me in some way.

The desire to play fast, wanting to express myself, wanting to emulate my idols, playing for teh wimminz on some level, because I enjoy it and because I like improving my skills a huge amount.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by WishfulShredder
wow
a lot of you sound like Ash Ketchum

I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To play guitar is my real test
Blowjobs is the reason (oooh)
I will travel across the land
Searchin' far and wide
Each jam to understand
The power that's inside! (Power inside!)
Quote by Roast Beef
I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To play guitar is my real test
Blowjobs is the reason (oooh)
I will travel across the land
Searchin' far and wide
Each jam to understand
The power that's inside! (Power inside!)

I lol'd
i would like to be able to play with the big wigs of music. i also want to be good because i have never really been good at anything. everyone has always been better than me. guitar is about the only thing i am good at and i feel a sense of being higher in rank than most people.
lol it was my point to sound like the pokemon guy, and it appears as if you guys caught on!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
A lot of it involves imitating my favorite guitar players

But to be honest I want to be able to play some really cool sounding complex stuff just to prove I can do it.

A lot of the songs I like to write are relatively simple like Nirvana/Nine Inch Nails type stuff.

I just don't want people to think "hey he sucks cause he's just playing 3-chord rock."

Eventually I'd like to get to a point where I could write a solo like Alexi Laiho. But the bottom line is I just want people to know that I write simple stuff because I like it and I enjoy performing it, not because that's all I can do.

That's why I want to be really good.
ever since i started playing 4-5 years ago, the image of Slash blazing on top of a piano in November Rain has always been a guiding force towards me becoming a better player. or perhaps playing in front of thousands of fans, who have parted ways with there own cash just to listen to the music my band created (or will create in the near future)

that and personal gratification
I just love being on stage and playing for people, and the more advanced the piece is, or the more I can express myself with it, the more interested the audience will become, motivating me to practise and learn more advanced pieces etc.

May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
The music I most enjoy requires a good amount of practice and hard work... therefore I put forth a good amount of practice and hard work to be able to create and enjoy music. I also love to play guitar... I would get bored if I just played three power chords every day and that's it, without the desire to better myself I doubt I'd want to play.

Don't people always wish to better themselves in any way possible? It's human nature... or nurture, one of those.
Umm well the first part of it is definitely ego, i want everyone who plays with me to go "yeah he's ****ing good"

But the second part is guitar is basically my medium for music (Don't get me wrong i LOVE guitar) but when i was younger i had a junky keyboard i'd tool around on i didn't now any notes or what the hell i was really doing (I could read music i played trumpet at the time) but i knew what sounded cool and what didnt.

The more skillz i have the easier it is for the music im feeling to come out. and also, i love listening to satriani, vai, guthrie govan, shawn lane stuff like that, and although everone like does this whole "no soul" bull**** about them theres still soul in fast notes and i can feel it everytime i hear it and i want to play that.

plus i really wanna understand jazz theory soo i can hopefully arrange/write some music for my schools jazz band.
to play the music i listen to...which all happens to be a lot of fun and quite challenging heavy metal
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
To be on Guitar Hero one day.

Oh yea, and become a virtuoso and make millions of dollars and have chicks follow me everywhere and be famous. And because I like music.

But seriously, I really only want to make good music, and spread my favorited Genre. Metal.

And if I had a hot music teacher that would help. :P
I want to be KNOWN for being good. Like, not internationally, I just want people who know me to be able to say to their friends, have you heard him? He's good.

I don't know when I can say that I, personally, am good. I don't know what good is, beyond creating and playing technically challenging pieces, and more importantly, playing something that people will enjoy and remember. I don't think I'm good. When people ask me if I'm good, I ask somebody who's heard me play to tell the person what THEY think, because I don't think I'm good, but my friends do. Really, I just want to be remembered for being 'good' on guitar.
So if I come up with a cool idea I won't ever be unable to play it. And so I can play the music I enjoy listening to as well.
I want to be good because:
Its a form of art and a good way to express myself.
Another reason would be to do what everybody wants to do a little - show off.
And when I get older I'm planning on making a band perhaps to earn money on the side as its my hobby (I'm in one at the moment but not much big is happening).
I just love music ever since I got drums a few Christmas's ago and since then I've learnt Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar and now I'm learning the nerdy instrument - electric violin.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
I want to be KNOWN for being good. Like, not internationally, I just want people who know me to be able to say to their friends, have you heard him? He's good.

that can get you into trouble. one of our family friends tells everybody (and i mean everybody) that im a demon at playing guitar, and seeing as though hes never really heard me play, its quite dangerous
It just so happened that the songs I like requires me to be good to be able to play them so I practice
The sense of self satisfaction and achievement. How selfish is that? Lol!

Being able to strum along to utter kak like Coldplay, James Morrison or Oasis (not that I do this) just doesn't do it for me.

The higher my level of technical ability the better I feel.
Page 1 of 2