i just had the opportunity of trying out a '70s custom shop Fender Jazz bass, unplugged and under the watch of the store owner, of course. the reason why i wanted to try it and why he let me handle a USD4.2k bass was so that i could see what playing a Jazz with pickup covers would feel like.

see, i'm planning on shipping in a '70s Reissue Jazz bass, along with the pickup and ashtray covers and thumbrest, and i'll install those by myself to pimp an MIM to look like a custom shop. my main concern was whether the pickup covers would obstruct my playing. now that i've tried it, i can say that it's going to take alot of getting used to if i want to install the pickup covers. it does wonders for slapping though, i can see why Marcus Miller wanted one on his sig bass.

the problem is, there is now way i can find these pickup and ashtray covers in my country. my only hope of getting them is by shipping them in together with my Fender. so, should i do it for the sake of cosmetics? i'm afraid that i'll be wasting money shipping in two pieces of metal that only hinder my playing.
i dunno, i found it easier since my palm could bounce off it without hitting the strings and muting them, i guess. that's how it goes for me, i also heard that it hinders some people from slapping too.
If it's not too expensive, try it out.
After a while, take em off and see if you play better without 'em. If not, then just keep 'em on.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
It depends how much you're talking for price and shipping. If it's a lot of money then I wouldn't worry about it, especially because it's only cosmetic. Also, if it hinders your playing, whether it's a lot of money or not, don't get them. That just doesn't make sense.
hmm okay. i can even sell them off if i don't want them anymore.

so has anyone here gotten pickup covers and gotten used to playing with them? it seems like the only way to play now is between the neck and bridge pickup, since playing in front of the neck pickup and at the bridge pickup is now impossible.
If you are getting the one for the bridge and has foam in it, It will dampen the sound and your slap tone will suffer.
BB.King +Freddie King+Albert King=three kings of blues!!
Dado23 Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbass
do they just make like pick up covers liek gibson guitars have? just like a metal palte, not a stupid hunk that goes over the strings?
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
At Least I Can Spell

Quote by telecastrmastr
do they just make like pick up covers liek gibson guitars have? just like a metal palte, not a stupid hunk that goes over the strings?

I counted at least six grammatical errors in that post.

You're talking about a different kind of pickup cover. Fender basses already have plastic covers on the pickups. We're talking about a piece that actually covers the pickup so that you can't see it. Totally different subject.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I counted at least six grammatical errors in that post.

You're talking about a different kind of pickup cover. Fender basses already have plastic covers on the pickups. We're talking about a piece that actually covers the pickup so that you can't see it. Totally different subject.

I counted 2 spelling errors, 1 punctuation error, three words that lack capitalisation, and 2 redundant words. =)

Edit: I also counted a fragmented sentence.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Whoa, you're right. It's been a year and a half since I was in an english class...I guess it's starting to show.

Aww man...I just realized I had a fragment in mine too. Maybe I should take a grammar class?
Nope, no sig here.
The funny thing is that I go to a french college. Go figure.
Chill, though, I was just doing it to troll. ialw4yzz rit3 l1ek th1sss lololol.
Quote by angus fan16
The Hormel content is starting to show in this thread.....

Personally, I've always found the pup cover and thumbrest to be a bit of a hindrance when trying to slap on those basses.
haha man you guys are grammar nazis.

looks like different people have different opinions on the covers. i'll go ahead ad ship them in anyway, i just can't resist the vintage look!
I own a 75 reissue Jazz bass that comes with a pickup cover on the neck pickup and at first it was a little weird to anchor my thumb to but by the first hour i was totally use to it and it doesnt hinder my playing at all. If your like me, which i think most people are, my anchor position is always changing like from onto the bridge pickup to the neck pup to on the E string.

What im trying to get at is, for lets say 25% of my playing im resting my thumb on the cover and since it is only like a 1/8 of an inch away from the spot im used to resting on it wasnt a huge difference to me. So, for me at least, it is not a hinderance at all, other than the fact that i cannot play right over the neck pup but i didnt do that much before anyways.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by anarkee
The Hormel content is starting to show in this thread.....

Personally, I've always found the pup cover and thumbrest to be a bit of a hindrance when trying to slap on those basses.

I see how it could make popping a little easier. but not the thump.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i would only get a bridge cover, the pick-up one would piss me off to ****.

Apparently the bridge ashtray can make the treble and harmonics more trebly, i dunno, they look kick ass tho. and i can get 1 bridge ashtray with the fender 'F' for £10 which is what i wanna do on my 70's vint mod jazz.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by Phishead42
I own a 75 reissue Jazz bass that comes with a pickup cover on the neck pickup and at first it was a little weird to anchor my thumb to but by the first hour i was totally use to it and it doesnt hinder my playing at all. If your like me, which i think most people are, my anchor position is always changing like from onto the bridge pickup to the neck pup to on the E string.

What im trying to get at is, for lets say 25% of my playing im resting my thumb on the cover and since it is only like a 1/8 of an inch away from the spot im used to resting on it wasnt a huge difference to me. So, for me at least, it is not a hinderance at all, other than the fact that i cannot play right over the neck pup but i didnt do that much before anyways.

thanks, that was just the answer i was hoping to get!

Quote by pandathe3
Apparently the bridge ashtray can make the treble and harmonics more trebly, i dunno, they look kick ass tho. and i can get 1 bridge ashtray with the fender 'F' for £10 which is what i wanna do on my 70's vint mod jazz.

go vintage!