If so, then this amp should be fine for me, considering that this band is the heaviest I play, and if it can do that, it should take care of any otyher band i play. Plus JCMs have the Marshall crunch.

Im just curious as to why both tube amps i have played; a 5150 combo and my Carvin V3 head, have not had that crisp distorted crunch that sounds amazing to me. Its almos the type of crunch a dist. pedal delivers, but i would prefer NO pedal. My friends MG had the crunch, but MG's suck. just curious as how he got it with his MG and podxt live, but i couldnt get it with my 5150 at the time.

but he uses an epi les paul custom and i use a hellraiser. could it be the pickups?

his passive vs. my EMGs?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Which JCM are you referring to? JCM800 probably wouldn't cut it, 900 would with an overdrive pedal to tighten up your sound, and the JCM2000 DSL would probably work well, and they're much better sounding than the TSLs.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
it sounds to me that your after a transister amp sound to be honest. man, screw the stigma that comes from MG's. I bet if it said JCM on it and sounded the exact same as an MG, you'd think it was perfect and buy it!

valves arn't always the best, they're very fashionable and people think you dont know **** about guitar if you buy an MG. WHO CARES?! If it sounds right, get it!!! Just to prove im not a MG fanboy, I play a JCM DSL, but thats the sound I want, I didn't buy it so i can say 'hey check me out with my all valve amp, i must be amazing!'

Food for thought. Don't conform to what some of these stupid kids on this forum say about solid state amps, buy the amp that gives you the sound you want like your friend did.
^

Hmm, that IS some tasty food for thought. I've actually been wanting a Marshall DSL for a very long time. i just got a really good deal on the Carvin, and I wanted to try it out. But if I could, I'd probably trade for a DSL and find SOME way to get the tone I was looking for.

Thanks!

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
It could be that you're not turning the amps up enough. Tube amps sound better when they're loud
Quote by J_Producer
it sounds to me that your after a transister amp sound to be honest. man, screw the stigma that comes from MG's. I bet if it said JCM on it and sounded the exact same as an MG, you'd think it was perfect and buy it!

valves arn't always the best, they're very fashionable and people think you dont know **** about guitar if you buy an MG. WHO CARES?! If it sounds right, get it!!! Just to prove im not a MG fanboy, I play a JCM DSL, but thats the sound I want, I didn't buy it so i can say 'hey check me out with my all valve amp, i must be amazing!'

Food for thought. Don't conform to what some of these stupid kids on this forum say about solid state amps, buy the amp that gives you the sound you want like your friend did.

I'm not a fanboy either, but I own an MG and don't think its worth all the bad hype it gets. Its not a bad amp, definitely overpriced, like just about every other marshall. But if you get it used like I did I think its worth the money. I have bought a couple other amps since this one, but I still use it to record some stuff, the cab as an extra to leave at pratice, and the head for a live backup. Had mine for almost 3 years now, gigged a lot with it, and no problems. Read the bold text in the quote above!!!
do you have any songs or tones you could tell us that kind of have the tone your after? my interpretation of what your wanting is quite a harsh chuggy chuggy kind of crisp sound. solid state amps are known for this sound, whereas a valve amp is known for a warm, crunchy sound. obviously the sound varies tremendously from amp to amp, but like I said, if your friend has the tone you want with an MG and a Pod, it might be worth getting an MG and some kind of amp modeller.

Thought this was quite funny: 'My friends MG had the crunch, but MG's suck.'

Are you saying that the tone you want sucks?? Lol I'm not taking the piss, but just pointing out that the stigma of MG's alone turn people off even if its exactly the sound they're looking for! If I were you, I would buy the MG (get the MG100 watt stack if it makes you feel better) and feel pity for any of the narrow minded kids that slag you off for having one, because you got the tone you wanted! You'll save a lot of money on initial purchase and valve replacment too!!!

Don't conform to valves for the sake of it!!!
^

This is very insightful. Well, to be honest, and as bad and dirty as it seems to say. I want that crisp crunchy tone because the bands i cover have that tone and they ALL use tube amps!

songs that i love, but can't seem to get the tone:

We'rewolf- Every Time I die: JCM800
This song is Called- TDWP: JCM800 or Mesa Triple rec
dry the river- maylene & the sons of disaster: JCM2000
underoath- any song (their lead uses..once again...JCM800)
any punk/pop- FOB, MCR, Taking Back sunday (JCM800 or JCM2000)

it seems that every band comes down to marshall, or that they used marshall a great deal sometime in their careers

my idea is:

Marshall tone+ my knowledge of how to play their songs= the sound i want

idk though...maybe they use a buttload of pedals

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
TDWP uses rectos. I recommend just getting a single recto since they are
1. the cheapest
2. have the best clean channel out of the recto family

When you aren't playing metal, just throw the dirty channel into vintage or raw.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Really your 5150 should be able to get a good JCM800 thing going on, since its based on the Peavey VTM which was the first hotrodded JCM800. I really don't see what you are looking for, a while back you where want a JSX or Triple XXX, now a JCM 800 I understand you are looking for your amp, but what tone are looking to get? Devil Wears Prada uses JCM800 and Boogie Triple Retifiers. Honestly I think the JCM800 would not do what you are wanting, most of the metal bands that use jcm800 use 5150 or Retifiers to really beef up thier tone. I would look into a Rectifier, or posible a Peavey XXX or JSX and able to get what ever tone you are looking for.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
^^

yeah, i've heard really good things about Mesa's. I would love a Rectifier

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Seems to me like you just need to work on your technique.
Valve amps are very responsive to how you play, unlike solid state.
Get yourself an Ibanez Tubescreamer to tighten up the sound a bit if you really need to.
TDWP run's two heads a piece.
Chris uses a 6505 and a Triple Rectifier and uses a TS9.
Jeremy uses a JCM 800 2203 and a Triple Rectifier and uses a SD-1 and TS9.

The way I see it. Get a good OD and you should be able to achieve their tone, with some good EQing.

I think a good amp head to go for is the Peavey Triple XXX. Br00t4ls and Versatility. =]
Quote by jcp42877
If so, then this amp should be fine for me, considering that this band is the heaviest I play, and if it can do that, it should take care of any otyher band i play. Plus JCMs have the Marshall crunch.

Im just curious as to why both tube amps i have played; a 5150 combo and my Carvin V3 head, have not had that crisp distorted crunch that sounds amazing to me. Its almos the type of crunch a dist. pedal delivers, but i would prefer NO pedal. My friends MG had the crunch, but MG's suck. just curious as how he got it with his MG and podxt live, but i couldnt get it with my 5150 at the time.

but he uses an epi les paul custom and i use a hellraiser. could it be the pickups?

his passive vs. my EMGs?

You use your eyes wayyyyy to much and not your ears. Your saying a distortion pedal and an MG get the sounds you want but you won't buy them because others say they suck?

Although it very well could be your EMG's A DSL might do it but TRY before you buy. You're obviously having some trouble so don't go jumping in blindly.