Is the Marshall MG15DFX a good practice amp to use with a Gibson SG or should I get a tube amp or what?
Depends on your budget really. The MG gets a lot of bad reviews on this site, but as far as a practice amp I think they're fine (flameshield). I got the half stack used really cheap, and I still use it as a backup even though I have a tube amp now. Just go play one, if you like it buy it.
Quote by eyebanez333
Depends on your budget really. The MG gets a lot of bad reviews on this site, but as far as a practice amp I think they're fine (flameshield). I got the half stack used really cheap, and I still use it as a backup even though I have a tube amp now. Just go play one, if you like it buy it.

You give incredibly good advice, and you don't bandwagon like everyone else here. I like you.
Quote by ClementWave
You give incredibly good advice, and you don't bandwagon like everyone else here. I like you.

Thanks, I try.
Yeah i mean its all preference, try it out but also try other stuff in the price range, for a practice amp they're okay, but there a lot of other stuff in the price range that people generally seem to be happier with. Just go to a music shop and try stuff out.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Yeah no doubt there are better amps out there for the price...especially if you go used. But for a practice amp, and no music style, no budget, and no alternatives to compare it to.. . I guess I didn't make myself clear earlier...I don't mind the MG...but go play one AS WELL as others in its price range and see what you think. Always play something before you buy it. You can't trust any reviews, not even mine. Don't believe me...compare the reviews of the MG on here to those on Musicians Friend. Don't forget to swing by a mom and pop music shop and/or pawn shops are try some used gear before you make your decision. In this case, since you asked about a practice amp; I'm assuming that 1.) you already have a nice amp or 2.) you're a beginner.
Maybe you could try the Roland Cube series?
- LTD Eclipse 1000 w/SD's
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky transparent red w/SD's
- Marshall MG 50 DFX

ENGL fund €120/€1941.5
i think the marshall is ok..its not THAT bad
but i think its a bit overpriced
SO u should get it but get a used one ...u can find one easily for cheap
cuz this kinda amp...ull wanna get rid of later on
Quote by eyebanez333

At last, someone with some sense.

its a practice amp, it does the job. My MG30 is also o lot more reliable than the VOXAD30VT and for a practice amp, it sounds fine.

Reliability is an issue with moddeling amps IMHO because of the vibrations etc a loud volumes.

I used to crank my AD30 which died very quickly, the MG30 has never really been cranked that much or for very long and its about 5 + years old

Also, If I put my computer on top of tow 4x12 cabs I wouldn't expect it to last very long
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
If you have a Gibson SG, one would figure that you'd want to pair it up with a more expensive amplifier. Otherwise what was the point of spending all that money on that guitar?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
If you have a Gibson SG, one would figure that you'd want to pair it up with a more expensive amplifier. Otherwise what was the point of spending all that money on that guitar?

he wants a PRACTICE amp you f*cking tool, which is what we are saying.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
he wants a PRACTICE amp you f*cking tool, which is what we are saying.

Whoa there, way to overreact. The guy didn't specify a price range or what sort of tone he's looking after. And for the record, there are a lot of amps that are better for practicing than a Marshall MG15. Just because it says Marshall on it doesn't mean it lives up to the name.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Perhaps a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix would be a better choice? I've heard good things about them both.
There's nothing really wrong with the mg. Its fine for a cheap practice amp.

Just don't expect crazy intense tones out of it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by MustangSVT
Whoa there, way to overreact. The guy didn't specify a price range or what sort of tone he's looking after. And for the record, there are a lot of amps that are better for practicing than a Marshall MG15. Just because it says Marshall on it doesn't mean it lives up to the name.

quite right - apologies - bad mood, freind died on sunday ready and willing to kill someone for being a tool

just saying that as a PRACTICE amp it's fine - in other words, he's not gonna use it to jam or gig so in all honesty, tone is not really the issue. he just needs to hear him(or her)self playing etc

apologies again dude
'quite right - apologies - bad mood, freind died on sunday ready and willing to kill someone for being a tool'

pix or it didn't happen......

....sorry, just couldn't resist. no disrespect and i feel for ya
Quote by J_Producer
'quite right - apologies - bad mood, freind died on sunday ready and willing to kill someone for being a tool'

pix or it didn't happen......

....sorry, just couldn't resist. no disrespect and i feel for ya

no worries, made me laugh.

I better go play in the pit and cheer up i suppose
Tone is subjective. I can't believe we got to 20 posts in a MG thread and nobody said it yet. There are simply better and more reliable amps for the money. If we had genre, budget limits, knew if the TS was going to ever jam with a drummer, etc we could list them. I once owned an MG and soon fell out of love with it. Vox Da5, MicroCube or Vypyr 15 would all be worth checking out too.
Quote by cuthbertg
quite right - apologies - bad mood, freind died on sunday ready and willing to kill someone for being a tool

just saying that as a PRACTICE amp it's fine - in other words, he's not gonna use it to jam or gig so in all honesty, tone is not really the issue. he just needs to hear him(or her)self playing etc

apologies again dude

Sorry to hear about your friend, my condoleances.

As for the whole practice amp thing, I suppose it's subjective. For me, I want a good tone when practicing, so I got something suited for the type of music I play, and I just play it in my basement, not in a band or anything. Other people may feel differently about this.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by MustangSVT
Sorry to hear about your friend, my condoleances.

As for the whole practice amp thing, I suppose it's subjective. For me, I want a good tone when practicing, so I got something suited for the type of music I play, and I just play it in my basement, not in a band or anything. Other people may feel differently about this.

Thanks - and sorry TS + everyone, didn't mean to hijack thread and make everyone feel sorr for me

It is subjective, personally i have always liked lo-fi stuff, so I kind of get a kick out of crappy sounding amps - I used to love playing through my stereo or TV back in the day.

That quote about the MG button is funny - what is it meant to do anyway? personally i dont really notice a difference so don't use it?
Quote by cuthbertg
That quote about the MG button is funny - what is it meant to do anyway? personally i dont really notice a difference so don't use it?

I think they meant the button for the overdrive or something like that. I've never used a Marshall so I wouldn't know.

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Quote by cuthbertg
no worries, made me laugh.

I better go play in the pit and cheer up i suppose

yaaaaay!! you took a joke!!! i was expecting a massive rant from 20 kids about respect, tact etc etc.

you my friend, are a dude
^I'm glad he took it as a joke because I felt that was completely unnecessary.

Fitzpatrick-
Budget?
Music Style?
Home or Gig? Practice amp
New or Used?
Closest Major City?
What do you have now?

cuthbertg - sorry to hear of your loss
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I'm glad he took it as a joke because I felt that was completely unnecessary.

Fitzpatrick-
Budget?
Music Style?
Home or Gig? Practice amp
New or Used?
Closest Major City?
What do you have now?

cuthbertg - sorry to hear of your loss

thats why he's the dude and your the douche!
Quote by J_Producer
thats why he's the dude and your the douche!

No he isn't. Some of us have lost close friends and wouldn't joke about it. That's all.

TS - good luck with your amp decision.
Thanks Greg. I'm not sure why I was called a douche. If someone asked me for pics to prove my friend was dead I'd tell them to F*CK OFF, even if it was a joke.

Fitzpatrick - sorry your thread got all jacked up. Please answer my questions and we'll help you out.