I can squeal on my guitar on the 3 lower strings, what's an easier way to do it with the 3 higher strings?(does the whammy bar help at all with squealing overall?)
do you mean artificial harmonics?

If so it's just hitting the string right with your thumb as you pick.
I do this, it just doesn't seem to work, would be easier if i got better string action or perhaps higher gauged strings?
Quote by AlexiIbanez
do you mean artificial harmonics?

If so it's just hitting the string right with your thumb as you pick.

Not only do you need to hit your string with your thumb the right WAY (light touch, very swift, not too long or you'll mute the string), but also in the right SPOT! You can't do pinch harmonics by touching the string ANYWHERE.. It's only possible at specific locations.

Which locations? Well, the spots that divide your string into equal parts... i.e. the halfway point, 1/3 point, 1/4 point, etc... Keep in mind that these locations (or "nodes") depend on where you fret the string!

So, experiment, and try to find out where you can touch the string to produce squeals (i.e. where the "nodes" are!).
It requires a lot of practice, it's really not as easy as it sounds.

Keep trying, or check out some youtube tutorials.
Thanks!
Do you have to do it differently with the higher strings, like picking softer, or is it exactly the same?
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Not only do you need to hit your string with your thumb the right WAY (light touch, very swift, not too long or you'll mute the string), but also in the right SPOT! You can't do pinch harmonics by touching the string ANYWHERE.. It's only possible at specific locations.

Which locations? Well, the spots that divide your string into equal parts... i.e. the halfway point, 1/3 point, 1/4 point, etc... Keep in mind that these locations (or "nodes") depend on where you fret the string!

So, experiment, and try to find out where you can touch the string to produce squeals (i.e. where the "nodes" are!).

I am well aware of the locations of different sounding harmonics on each string. I was merely trying to understand the OP's question.
Quote by common_man_tk
Thanks!
Do you have to do it differently with the higher strings, like picking softer, or is it exactly the same?

pretty much the same for me. the thing is that you will need to have a good play around with it for some time finding out spots where you can hit them.
I actually find it much more challenging since changing to Daddario 0.10's. When I had Zakk Wylde strings I could do them without much trouble. I guess the strings have a lot to do with it. Try using your bridge pickups too.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack