I think the strings on my strat are getting caught up in the nut when i use the wammy bar. I do not have the time or money yet to get a new nut(graphite) put on, so im probably going to widen the nut slots and lube them up a little bit. what actually happens if i cut the slots too wide?
f-ed up guitar. they'll slide around in the slots and you'll lose tone, and it will be damn near unplayable. just don't do it. just wait until you DO have the time and money, and do it right.
It takes less than three minutes to install a new nut and only about 10 bucks to buy a graphite one. What's wrong with you?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
It takes less than three minutes to install a new nut and only about 10 bucks to buy a graphite one. What's wrong with you?

$10 + 3 minutes are VERY hard to come by these days. so hard that who has the money to pay for internet access or computers, or even the TIME to post in a forum.....
My guitar instructor had this problem with his Strat for years; he reccommended me to this.

http://www.blamepro.com/mwn/tips/nutlube.htm

/problem
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by _Sanitarium_
3 minutes are VERY hard to come by these days

And yet you're a prog-head.

I guess not everyone has time like I do. So little to do, so much time, I guess.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Its easy to screw up the nut on your guitar and make the problem worse. So if you dont have the money for a nut and to get it cut right leave the wammy alone until you can get it fixed.
Quote by Raijouta

the only repair person that i know of that could fix my guitar that i would trust charges about 25 labor for it, and with other things i gotta buy, college, etc, its not easy to get it done
Quote by ESP_Shreder
http://www.blamepro.com/mwn/tips/nutlube.htm

that'll solve everything. Looks like a real winner!

It won't solve everything, if the nut is fooked.

OP:

If you have a Strat style axe, then the nut sits in a slot.

By a Graphtec pre slotted nut for a strat.

Buy some super glue.

Knock the old nut out across the guitar, after scoring any finish around it.

Clean the slot, glue in new nut.

Done.