So recently the singer in my band made a decision that I didn't agree with and he didn't even talk about it.. just went ahead and did it and created tension with our old drummer. I won't get into the gorey details but now we threw in our "substitute" drummer we have been working with in our old drummers place at shows. he is older than the rest of us but is somewhat a good drummer. ***

He has a jazz style of playing which sounds awesome but at the same time it doesn't fit the rock covers we do. While working on him earlier *before the conflict with old drummer hapened* we all agreed he was no where ready to be at a show and we would wait longer before we put him in.

Now that was probably 2-3 weeks ago and the drummer hasnt worked on any of the songs from the list we gave him since and we played a show last weekend. To be short, it was god awful... some songs went okay but he just couldn't ease up on the drumming, he didn't grasp for alot of the songs - less is more.

Now after the show I suggested we cancel all shows within a month or two of now to get him more ready, but the other two members of the band threw out my thoughts and just wanted to wing it... I tried to reason saying we can always get the gig again, but it will be hard if we bring a band that was hyped up with an old drummer and use an new drummer - who isn't ready and suck it up losing our rep...

What would you guys do in this situation? I have made posts before with conflicts with other band members and they want to try and wing our way through gigs with someone we can't get to adapt to a more rock style of drumming. I am debating on leaving them soon which will make them more crippled without a guitarist but I can't sit around when they refuse to work with the new drummer and refuse to give up 6 or so shows in the month and a halfish period.

***reason we have a substitute drummer was our old one had to serve a month after getting too many dui's and they didnt want to wait for him to get out.
try and get the old drummer back, man. the new drummer just isnt gonna get it...sounds like the other band memebers dont feel like waiting for the new drummer to train...is it like some HUGE slap to the face that can never be made up? lol. if not, then leave em. bands dont work well when ppl arent happy with the result.
are you gonna get the old drummer back when he gets out? if so, just try to get everyone to practice between shows and get the substitute to get to know the material better until the original drummer gets out
well the old drummer didn't leave cause of jail he left cause singer and him had conflicts that the singer didn't want to talk about but rather.... shout out.. and he made a decision without the rest of us..

if he stayed he would of went to jail and come back playing and the sub drummer new this till he was put into fulltime...

The drumming is a huge slap to the face because an example would be... on the chick song "bitch" its a slower song but he plays it like its some kind of death metal fused into jazz and it throws the tempo off. I have been trying to work with him cause I seem to have the best ear and grasp on music then the other two members but how do you train an old dog to do new tricks?
Quote by ehlert99

I won't get into the gorey details
While working on him earlier

That it is a weird story.
I like how you melded two lines in seperate paragraphs together to make them sound like something sick.
Quote by ehlert99
I like how you melded two lines in seperate paragraphs together to make them sound like something sick.

Somewhat of a strange speciality of mine.
Quote by atthedrive-thru
if you say you might leave the band why don't just start a new one with the old drummer
Could be good - you just need bass and vocals. you never know your bassist might come with you to the new band. Good vocalists are hard to find though.
Typical singer primadonna BS.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
Quote by atthedrive-thru
if you say you might leave the band why don't just start a new one with the old drummer

This is a good idea.
Quote by unininium
Could be good - you just need bass and vocals. you never know your bassist might come with you to the new band. Good vocalists are hard to find though.

yeah, that's what i was thinking when i wrote that, hell maybe the new singer will realize what a dumb decision he's making too
Quote by ehlert99

Now after the show I suggested we cancel all shows within a month or two of now to get him more ready, but the other two members of the band threw out my thoughts and just wanted to wing it... I tried to reason saying we can always get the gig again, but it will be hard if we bring a band that was hyped up with an old drummer and use an new drummer - who isn't ready and suck it up losing our rep...

See the bit in bold? That means you have just been outvoted, and in any democratic band, you have to go with the majority vote.
Quote by ehlert99

What would you guys do in this situation? I have made posts before with conflicts with other band members and they want to try and wing our way through gigs with someone we can't get to adapt to a more rock style of drumming. I am debating on leaving them soon which will make them more crippled without a guitarist but I can't sit around when they refuse to work with the new drummer and refuse to give up 6 or so shows in the month and a halfish period.

I really do appreciate that rather than leaving, you'd rather try to somehow 'fix' the band, but face it, it's just not gonna happen, not with the other guys outvoting you.
There's a chance that intense gigging and winging it at every gig will eventualy make you all really good musicians, but it's a hard way of doing it.
Main thing to think about is are you still enjoying the band, even with all the problems? If you were suddenly not in the band anymore, would it be a great loss to yourself or a relief?
If you think it would be a relief, then leave.
Remember 'Rule Number One'
''If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing!''