I am a metal guitarist. I play music along the lines of suicide silence, or whitechapel. whatever. I found on craigslist someone selling a Peavey Transtube Supreme 100w with a peavey cab with it. He wants $900. Hes selling it because his band broke up and he doesnt need it anymore.

I haven't played it at all. So is this head good overall for metal? Is 900 a decent price?
A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
-- Demetri Martin

Maryland Deathcore
Hang The Wench
well, i saw the review on harmony central and the guy there payed 200 dollars for one, i think is really overpriced since it isn't a full tube amp, for metal, get a used 5150 for that money.
Look for the Peavey XXL Head. Sounds great and uses the Transtube circuitry. Read reviews on Harmony central.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
You can get a 6505/5150 used for that price and it will be infinitely better
ohai little sig.
Quote by henis
well, i saw the review on harmony central and the guy there payed 200 dollars for one, i think is really overpriced since it isn't a full tube amp, for metal, get a used 5150 for that money.

you're right about the 5150 thing, but a 6505 sounds even better actually. but a transtube is actually a tube amp, so i suppose you misread 2000 for 200. :') I've played it, and it's got a great sound. But it's not really suitable for deathcore in that matter. If that's what you like, and I like that too, you will want to get an Engl or Krank if you really want to kill everybody.
900 What?? Bananas?? If US Dollars he is way high, as others sugested look into a 5150, XXX or JSX, all these amps are full tube amps and a great for metal.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Actually a transtube is not a tube amp, it is tube modeling circuitry that is designed to sound and respond like a tube amp, which IMO does neither very well. The $900 is outrageous unless you are getting a mint 1960 cab with it or something.
Quote by jenjef
you're right about the 5150 thing, but a 6505 sounds even better actually. but a transtube is actually a tube amp, so i suppose you misread 2000 for 200. :') I've played it, and it's got a great sound. But it's not really suitable for deathcore in that matter. If that's what you like, and I like that too, you will want to get an Engl or Krank if you really want to kill everybody.

I can see quite a few things wrong in your post mate
First, the 5150 and 6505 are exactly the same amp, just re-issued and renamed
Also, the transtube is in no way a tube amp, they are completely solid state, and the only solid state amps worth paying 2000 for are ones such as the high-end Randalls and Line 6 Vettas
ohai little sig.
Quote by jenjef
you're right about the 5150 thing, but a 6505 sounds even better actually. but a transtube is actually a tube amp, .

The transtube is not a tube amp or a hybird, its simply a soild state with a "transtube" (Tansistor-tube) transistor curcuit which does nothing but atempt to emulate a tube amps dynamics.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by jenjef

No the amp both the TS and other poster were speaking of is solid state and worth 200. I recently saw one with cab going for 450 canadian. A transtube is something like a peavey bandit that is not tube. Your right about the engl and krank but they seem to be a large jump from his price range. I'd look for an 5150/6505 head in good condition then get a cab from avatar or Vader. The bugera 6202 is considered to be the poor mans 6505 and some say the cleans are better. I have no personal experience with this but it seems worth checking out and for the price you cant go wrong.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni