Hello guys, I've just bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 - HS. At the shop I felt in love with its sound cranked up into a Mesa.

However, at home I have a VOX AC30, with a small BOSS blues driver BD-2. I'd like obtain a Marshall or Mesa overdriven sound with my vox, but the BD-2 is not good at it.. What do you suggest?

1- change amplifier (it'll take long time since I poured all my money for the gibson).
2- change effect pedal.. which one?
Quote by rhcp-legends
what a stupid thing to say

I'd like to see you get a Mesa sound out of a Vox.
Change amp.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
A Vox isn't going to sound like a marshall or a mesa. Just buy a new amp. Also a pedal will not help as it will not actually change the sound of the amp.
Ok, I'll change amp.

But.. in the mean-time, what do you suggest for a good overdrive without sounding too much digital on the Vox? I'd like to make my Vox more badass.. It's a short term solution.. i know..
Quote by thezack
Ok, I'll change amp.

But.. in the mean-time, what do you suggest for a good overdrive without sounding too much digital on the Vox? I'd like to make my Vox more badass.. It's a short term solution.. i know..

It's worth looking at the Damage Control Demonizer. While I'm personally not a fan, it's meant to be one of the best pedals for heavy distortion sounds. It costs a few hundred though.
Lovepedal Purple Plexi does the best JCM800 in a box I'm aware of. They're discontinued, but you can find them on ebay or classifieds sometimes at reasonable prices.
may also want to look into Wampler superplextortion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Xotic BB preamp would be good to look in to. Maybe a Fulltone OCD.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
To push the AC30 into those extremes, you would need a hi-gain distortion pedal, and very possibly an EQ pedal.

It will get you maybe a tad bit near to the specific sounds you want.

I suggest sell it, and purchase a Rectoverb combo.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Quote by Miss G
Zvex Box of Rock.

Does more of a JTM45 impression than a JCM800.

To the TS: check out the Carl Martin Plexitone pedal.
Quote by al112987
Does more of a JTM45 impression than a JCM800.

To the TS: check out the Carl Martin Plexitone pedal.

The Box of Rock can get pretty grainy though. It can pull of cranked 800 tone, just not the full preamp voulme tones.

He could always boost the pedal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Box of Rock can get pretty grainy though. It can pull of cranked 800 tone, just not the full preamp voulme tones.

He could always boost the pedal.

It's not voiced like a JCM800 though, Zach Vex said he designed it to sound like a JTM45, which it does a great impression of. But it's too loose and flabby sounding on the low end to do high gain styles particularly well.
Quote by Horlicks
Change your amp.

Better yet, change your mind. 
Quote by gerdner
Better yet, change your mind. 

9 year old thread. please don't post in old threads.