So, Im thinking about getting a JCM 800 Combo.

Do I have to crank up really loud in order to get some distortion?
Or can I get some cool sounds when Im playing at bedroom volume?

Thanks
Bedroom level = good preamp distortion
Cranked = great power-amp distortion

It doesn't sound bad quiet, it sounds great loud.
The amp is a Master volume amp, meaning that you can turn your preamp volume (your gain or distortion, whatever you want to call it) up and still play the amp at bedroom volumes.

The only problem is that the amp won't really shine unless you get that master past 4. That's pretty damn loud.

If you aren't gigging at clubs unmiced, you should definately look into the 18 watt Marshalls.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
it has a master volume, so you can get the preamp saturation at any volume. so especially your playing something that uses tight gain, your set. cranking it will help with the tone, but its not a necessity. congrats on finding the amp though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
it has a master volume, so you can get the preamp saturation at any volume. so especially your playing something that uses tight gain, your set. cranking it will help with the tone, but its not a necessity. congrats on finding the amp though

There are about 3-4 of them every month on ebay, the combos go away for about 650€.
Well do you play in a band? Using it only at home isn't going to be great, not bad, but not great. But if you have a band, then get one!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well do you play in a band? Using it only at home isn't going to be great, not bad, but not great. But if you have a band, then get one!

I'm doing this for a friend who is not in a band and I don't think that he will be in one any time soon, he doesn't even have a guitar ATM

I guess what he's looking for is a 80's metal like tone and most of his favourite bands use at least one JCM 800 stack (GnR, Mötley).