A non-string-playing friend asked me a question, and I didn't really have an answer for him, I figured this is the most appropriate forum to ask it on.

There are companies like Dean and Gibson that make good guitars, but crappy basses. Conversely, companies like Squier make good basses (for the price, anyway) but crappy guitars. It seems like construction methods for guitars and basses wouldn't be that different, so why is it that these gaps in quality exist?
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Dec 18, 2008,
Despite having the same company logo, even being built in the same factory, you have to remember that these are two completely different products.

An analogy is that these are a Spiderman toy and a Hulk toy. Yes, they are both toys, both by marvel comics company, but completely different in structure, build quality, price.
I realize that guitars and basses are different, but it still seems odd that a company that could build one well would be unwilling/unable to build the other one comparably well. I would think they're similar enough that the principles of building one well would translate into being able to build the other well. I guess to go with the analogy, if a toy company could put forth the effort of making nicely detailed Spiderman toys that were well-proportioned, moved right, and had some cool features, why would that same company make a Hulk toy that looks like a green gorilla?

I'd think it would be bad for business. Like, when I was buying my 2nd bass, I would see a lot of Squiers and, driven by my roommate's dislike of Squier guitars, I'd avoid their basses as well. Although, on the contrary, I was half considering getting an Epiphone Thunderbird because he swears by his Gibson SG.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
I realize that guitars and basses are different, but it still seems odd that a company that could build one well would be unwilling/unable to build the other one comparably well.

For a few good examples of this, have a look at the automotive industry. I doubt very much you'll be able to name a single mainstream car manufacturer that doesn't turn out at least one line that's - for whatever reason, in your opinion - a load of rubbish.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Quote by CarpUK
For a few good examples of this, have a look at the automotive industry. I doubt very much you'll be able to name a single mainstream car manufacturer that doesn't turn out at least one line that's - for whatever reason, in your opinion - a load of rubbish.

Agreed just because my car company can make a car well doesnt mean that we can make semis of the same quality.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yea, this is beginning to make sense. Squier and the others seem to be doing well enough for themselves that their business plan is working. I guess they've got enough reputation, positive and negative, that spending the time and money and leveling off their qualities isn't going to do them much good at this point.
It just depends which product you refer to.

For example, Dean makes some crappy guitars too. Just look at their cheap line Razorbacks and MLs. I'm pretty sure those guitars suck. They're probably made in china.

Then look at the Squier vintage modified tele and strat. Those are pretty good for they money I've heard.

And I have heard the modern Gibson guitars aren't all that great for the price they're asking for them, there's probably some lemons in there.

The fact of the matter is, you should forget brand name recognition when buying an instrument. Figure out your price range and the characteristics of the guitar you want (shape, tremolo, wood type, neck profile) and then look at what guitars are available.

For example my dream guitar is an Explorer, but when I get around to buying one, I will make sure I try out the Hamer Standard and the Dean, those 2 brands make an Explorer that's close shape to the original, not just the Gibson.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer