it's in the key of Zdim. *sarcasm*. In seriousness, is the progression Em, G, C, Am? or something else?
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Quote by Rocknroller309
it's in the key of Zdim. *sarcasm*. In seriousness, is the progression Em, G, C, Am? or something else?

To Ts

If it's this is would be C Major, which is most logical (Em, G , C Am)

The tonal centre is E, but the notes are from different scales.

G - C - A - E; will resolve nicely.

G - C = C Major Scale

A - E = E Major scale.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
lol no its not in E major that would have G#, C# in it
its in Cmajor no sharps or flats
Gear:
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Strat
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
2x12 cab
crybaby 535q
Yamaha acoustic
zoom fire 36
boss mega distortion
No sharps or flats? Amaj has C#, and Emaj has G#. But OP didn't really specify the nature of the chords.
My guess would be it's in Em actually, but the Em itself has been replaced with E major. It's not that uncommon, Richie Sambora's "Ballad of Youth" for example does just that. The A would be thedominant major which would strongly lead back to Em.

- edit - And if you're asking cause you want to solo over it, you'll need to play the Emajor scale over the E and then switch to Eminor scale, and maybe E harmonic minor over the A if you want to really underline the harmony.
Last edited by Aziraphale at Dec 18, 2008,
I'm pretty sure it is C major due to lack of accidentals, but it doesn't sound that great.

80th best UGer
It *should* be C major. The E would be your 3rd chord, but since the 3rd chord in a Major scale is a minor chord (iii), it is most likely some type of inverted 7th chord (if it is fact a E maj.). But then again, the likeliness that someone would make a third chord into a 7th would be fairly strange, since 7th's are usually used to create tension before resolution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, sirs.

EDIT: Aziraphale, "A" is not the dominant in the key of "E" minor. "A" is the sub-dominant, making "B" the dominant (5th note of the scale).
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Last edited by Johl at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by Johl
It *should* be C major. The E would be your 3rd chord, but since the 3rd chord in a Major scale is a minor chord (iii), it is most likely some type of inverted 7th chord (if it is fact a E maj.). But then again, the likeliness that someone would make a third chord into a 7th would be fairly strange, since 7th's are usually used to create tension before resolution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, sirs.

EDIT: Aziraphale, "A" is not the dominant in the key of "E" minor. "A" is the sub-dominant, making "B" the dominant (5th note of the scale).

You're right, I thought backwards. The A does indeed lead to D major. I don't think TS' question is really answerable, there's too little context to really place a key on it. I think the C sounds like a sub-dominant, but the G doesn't sound like a tonic. If I were to play it on bass I'd say it was in Em. The whole thing sounds like a way to go to D major, which as a dominant would lead back to G/Em. It could also be used as a way to switch keys from G major to E major.

- edit - And an E7 would be extremely common in the key of C, as the third chord (dominant of the tonic parallel), gets a major third when you play harmonic minor. I.e. in the key of A harmonic minor, the dominant is E7, not Em. The E7 would go from being the dominant parallel in C to being the major dominant in Am. So it wouldn't be in C per se, but a lot of songs swing between C and Am in tonality (respectively in other keys, of course). Making the distinction is rarely necessary, as it would take a ridiculously unmusical improviser to be able to play in Am but not in C major..
Last edited by Aziraphale at Dec 18, 2008,