Page 1 of 2
I don't like country music at all. Just not my thing, but my friend told me about Brad Paisley's album "Play" and I was blown away. Its mostly instrumental guitar songs and I was very impressed with his ability. For those who like solo rock albums I recommend you check it out. Try "Cliffs of Rock City." http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_MMF9vPQ0
Jackson Soloist SL-3
Squire Strat
Crate XT120R
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Dunlop Crybaby
I've heard the same thing. have to check it out.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
try his album, time well wasted, i think its his best (although not instrumental except 1 song).
I love the guy, he's not that country really when you compare him with other artists but it plays a big part in his songs.
There's a lot of slick country pickers, but you gotta put up with that whinny ass fiddle crap and BS lyrics. This seems to be a cut above, sounds like Brad has been listening to Eric Johnson. Thanks for the link.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
Quote by aaciseric
I love the guy, he's not that country really when you compare him with other artists but it plays a big part in his songs.

Sure he is, just not the usual sort of pop country. Very twangy.

Anyhow, he is an awesome guitarist, but I don't always like his lyrics (Ticks, especially, bugs the hell out of me). Good stuff still.
Quote by nightraven
inb4 harmy

brad paisley is awesome

but there's a thread in b&a with lots of harmy spam

>.<

Feel free to make a comment on my videos:

Here's a Brad Paisley Solo Mix 1 and 2

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlZPm-g6Hw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lhq8KhAtX0

I made these a long time ago, of course they were made before his instrumental album, Play. He's gotten much better now.

Brad Paisley is a better guitar player than Urban, I believe because he's so versatile and Brad has the technique that Keith doesn't - ability to play Jazz, Classical/Flamenco, Blues, Country Shred (Chicken Picking), the ability to play bluegrass on an acoustic and even more talented - the ability to Travis Pick. I doubt many guitar players would disagree.

Brad's also released an Instrumental Album and that sets him apart from most guitar players. Aa a generally true fact, a crap guitarist wouldn't release an instrumental guitar album.

Here's him displaying Master Merle Travis Style picking:
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=SqLnsaAL7Gs

Here's him displaying Jazz technique (listen out for the jazz solos)
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=unP_WO2T4ps

Here's him displaying his Chicken Picking technique
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=pUj5sKM0rXY

Here's a live video of him playing one of his instrumentals:
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-Ipi1dnng

And yes, Brad can Sweep Pick and alternate Pick - here's his Eric Johnson Tribute, Cliifs of Rock City:

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_MMF9vPQ0

Here's Brad Paisley and Urban Dueting - good solos at the end:

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7iaYKUrBM

Brad is a Master Hybrid Picker

Here's Brad Paisley playing a duet with James Burton, Vince Gill, Albert Lee, John Jorgenson, Brent Mason, Redd Volkaert & Steve Wariner all on one track. Those of you who don't know these people should - they are country legends.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=A6BJ2E8eKww
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Him and his band are awesome - every one of them. What a voice too!

But I like country though. He's one of my favourite artists for sure.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
I'm not big on country - some old guys, Shooter Jennings, and Brad are basically it.

But man, Paisley is a beast. First time I heard "Throttleneck," I was just like, "DA-YUM "
I was expecting something good but that was pretty horrible.
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
Horrible? Any guitar player that calls Brad Paisley "Horrible" needs therapy. What exactly do you find so horrible?

-BT
Its pretty impressive but the way you guys were talking I thought I would like him. I like a lot of country but most contemporary country is pretty crappy.
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
Cliffs of Rock City doesn't do Brad Paisley that much justice. It's a great song but Brad can do so much more - his jazz instrumentals are very impressive as well as his more faster-paced songs such as Time Warp/Departure/The Nervous Breakdown. One of the songs that will always have me in awe is the vocal version of Make a Mistake With Me - absolutely brilliant Merle Travis Picking, spot on like the man himself with the technicality of Chet Atkins!

RedRockabiliy: Try the videos that I have linked to in my thread. They are mostly all my videos.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 20, 2008,
Yeah, that's great footage of him. He's really good at hybrid picking cleanly.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Nope. It's the first time he's demonstrated an ability to play surf guitar. I'm sure in the near future, he'll do more. He's done almost everything now: Countrypop, Traditional Country, Bluegrass, Shred, Heavy Metal, Pop, Alternative, Blues, Jazz, Merle Travis Picking, Old Western and now surf.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Nope. It's the first time he's demonstrated an ability to play surf guitar. I'm sure in the near future, he'll do more. He's done almost everything now: Countrypop, Traditional Country, Bluegrass, Shred, Heavy Metal, Pop, Alternative, Blues, Jazz, Merle Travis Picking, Old Western and now surf.

If he stopped doing the ones in bold he would be infinitely better imo. Also if he did some acoustic bluegrass. That would be interesting to see how he would pull it off, I am sure pretty well.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
If he stopped doing the ones in bold he would be infinitely better imo. Also if he did some acoustic bluegrass. That would be interesting to see how he would pull it off, I am sure pretty well.

He does do acoustic bluegrass - see Two Feet of Topsoil (granted, not his best song) and his other acoustic songs - try his instrumental, Kentucky Jelly

I am in disagreement with your above comment on countrypop and pop. It makes Brad very diverse to appeal to everyone and he does stick with his country routes - listen to his first album, Who Needs Pictures and you'll see it's all very traditional. It makes Brad that better a player because he can play other genres and he's not afraid of doing it. Here's Brad Paisley's ultimate Bluegrass instrumental, Munster Rag - really crazy guitar towards the end.

Here's also a cover of ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man, which also demonstrates Brad's exceptional guitar skills - see the solos:

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=3vRW2e_CeJI

Want more? Here's him playing with the legendary Tommy Emmanuel doing a Merle Travis Cover, Cannonball Rag. His lead on acoustic is pretty fluid.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=bU5Et3CkgiI

Brad Paisley is a better guitarist than a lot of people think.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 30, 2008,
He's gotta sell records and the Pop Country stuff sells hugely! He obviously has to keep the record company happy. This allows him to put out an instrumental album between the regular ones.

Two Feet of Topsoil in a funny song, but the playing is unreal. The tempo alone makes me wanna run away!

Happy New year!
Do you have any idea how much CASH country artists make? The #1 format of FM radio in the USA is country. Taylor Swift just passed 4 million sales. Country fans tend to be rural and when Bubba ain't got no broadband, he goes to Walmart and plunks down his 12.00.
Money is addictive. Why not put out funny little pop tunes, make millions and still put out seriously smoking instrumentals.....I would!
The indie scene is great for artists, but see how a die hard indie act turns pop as soon as they get a hit. Fiest is the perfect example....Apple actually got her US citizenship as part of her deal.

Indie = Poor for the most part.
I wouldn't make terrible music to make money. I would make the music I want to make whether it made me tons of money or not. I like money but I love music so that's how I would order my priorities. If I could make enough money in indie world to support myself and continue doing what I want to do then I would be completely content. If you put out music because the record companies want you to and so you can make money then you are a *****.
First of all, it isn't "terrible music", its music YOU think is terrible. The vast majority of people I play Paisley's "funny" tunes for laugh, and comment on the clever arrangements and killer playing. And, a lot of those people are professional musicians, as I work in the recording industry and am lucky enough to hang with them. Jazzers, Blues cats, etc.
Do you think Brad Paisley does not love music and love what he does? I take it from our banter that you are very young, as your views are "anti-mainstream".

Answer me this....if, say, the "terrible" tune Online from Paisley had no lyrics, would it still be "terrible"? If so, grab your guitar, fire up an MP3 and throw one side out of phase and listen back on mono. That should eliminate the vox.
Then try to nail the opening riff.....not the solo or the hard parts....just the opening riff. It sounds like a cakewalk but its a biotch! I know you don't question his technical ability, but don't blow-off his pop-country tunes musically....they are VERY clever and the riffs cannot be denied.
Quote by BillyTee
Do you think Brad Paisley does not love music and love what he does?

I will let myself a few posts up answer
Quote by Beakwithteeth

I am sure he likes that stuff though, that's probably why he does it.

I have said I am sure he enjoys what he does, I do not. Your previous defense was that he does it to make money which I think is an invalid argument because it does not give the songs any merit they didn't have before. Of course I mean it is terrible music to me, music is subjective and I cannot speak for anyone else's opinion.

We have also been through the difficulty of the opening riff or "Online". I have not attempted to play it, I have taken your word for it that it is difficult to play. I still think it is a terrible song no matter how hard to play it is or how much effort he put into it.

I never said that Brad should stop releasing the pop, if he wants to that is fine. I am only saying that as long as he is a primarily pop-country artist he will never be my cup of tea. I still enjoy his playing though and respect him.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
^ That's not an excuse. Plenty of people are signed to record labels that don't have to put out bull****. He could put out his own stuff or be on an indie label.

Sure its a great excuse. He most likely has a family to support, and quite honestly, unless you're a big name making marketable music (ie: not music for musicians), music does not pay. Nothing wrong with selling out just to make money if you can fuel something you really love doing off of it. It sounds like you've never had a job and never had to pay for anything to me.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Brad is talented enough where if he played straight country he would make plenty of money to support himself. Especially now that he has established himself, right now he is so popular he could put out a trip-hop album and it would chart.

I would rather work at Wal-Mart to make my money and play non-marketable music if that's what I wanted to make than make music specifically so it will sell. As I said though, I don't get the impression that that is what Brad is doing so this argument is completely irrelevant to this thread.
What about the thousands of cover bands that play a ton of crappy songs at bars just so they can play a few originals and hawk their own cd's after the show? Or jobbers who play weddings and parties but are really closet blues players? Or better yet, people who make a ton of coin writing music for commercials? Do they love it....**** no! Do they pursue other avenues for the music they enjoy? For sure. Although I believe Paisley enjoys his humorous tunes, I think you need to realize that if one can make a good living writing or performing music that may not be exactly what is ones favorite, he or she is blessed....

....it beats working at Walmart.....take it from one who knows.
See my avatar

Brad is amazingly talented. I want to look to him for inspiration for my playing, but I'm such a noob that I really can't incorporate any of his styles in my playing.

Play is awesome. I love reading the insert that he wrote about the album. It really shows how he has this huge record label under his control, rather than him being under their control. He says "I went in to the label, and told them that I wanted to do an instrumental. Rather than getting the no I expected, they immediately asked me when I wanted to start recording."

Well, something like that.

And about the funny, pop-ish songs, I think everyone likes to just relax and do something light, humorus, and just flat-out fun every once in a while.

I love how he has a spiritual song on all of his albums. What A Friend We Have In Jesus on Play is absolutely beautiful
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Page 1 of 2