Hello everyone!

I've got a Christmas gig coming up for the people I do guitar lessons with. Basically, we learn some songs... Then my guitar teacher puts me with a band that can play those songs for the night (of course, we meet and rehearse before then)

The songs I am playing are:
Run To You - Bryan Adams
Holiday - Greenday
Newborn - Muse

I've got a few questions... My guitar teacher's told me that I'm only doing the chorus and solo for Run To You, so I'll have to stand around while someone else plays the intro (with another person playing the lead that goes over the intro) what can I do during this time?

I'm not sure how many of you are into Muse, but I think Newborn is a great song. Does anybody know what I should play after the first riff, cause there's some weird sound that might be something like Bellamy's Whammy. Also, live, Bellamy plays some thing with his Whammy after the solo, just a few notes... But I'd love to know what these are. This performance is a good example of this. (But the one on the HAARP CD is better)

And if you have any general tips... Please share them!
Cheers
Last edited by The Gore Child at Dec 18, 2008,
I dont know the muse song but for when your not playing just walk around the stage, look at the crowd, get eye contact with as many people as possible. Act as if you own the stage, but dont try and outstage the players. be casual. It will be hard if you're shy, i know i was when i was first in that position but just act as if your not. The worst thing you could possibly do is stand rigidly with your hands in your pocket. At the very least sway about and look into the crowd.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Burn a Christmas tree, and steal a santa's beard =D
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Ha ha, don't think I'll be doing that :P Would be cool though. Maybe when it's a gig I've set up :P

The only thing I'm worried about really is the standing around...
The noise after the piano intro is Matt using his Kaoss Pad to create noise while using his Whammy Bar to pitch shift it several times. He then does a pickslide down and up, until he gets to a very high fret, bends it, and does a volume swell.
Quote by WyvernOmega
The noise after the piano intro is Matt using his Kaoss Pad to create noise while using his Whammy Bar to pitch shift it several times. He then does a pickslide down and up, until he gets to a very high fret, bends it, and does a volume swell.

Wow! Cookie for you! Cheers for this.. I think I'll try and fade in with the E minor (?) chord like on the track... Wouldn't you just love a Kaoss Pad? Wish I could steal one :P
You good sir made my sig. :P

On a serious note, that could work. Use the killswitch trick with your volume control, strike the chord, volume swell, max the distortion, and start shredding. You could also hit the strings above the nut or do a pinch harmonic to get a nice screech.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
If you're really worried about looking ackward on run to you, you could just turn you're volume off and play the verse. People probably wouldn't notice, especially if theres a bunch of other guitars. If someone askes you could just say your amp was messed up.
Quote by WyvernOmega
You good sir made my sig. :P

On a serious note, that could work. Use the killswitch trick with your volume control, strike the chord, volume swell, max the distortion, and start shredding. You could also hit the strings above the nut or do a pinch harmonic to get a nice screech.

Wow! First time I've ever been sigged! Cheers! What's the killswitch trick? I installed a killswitch into my guitar, so I could probs do it.

I think I'll do what the poster above me said and mime the Run To You intro :P Thanks!

Gigs tomorrow night! It's not my first... But ALOT of my mates are going, so slightly nervous!
I agree with Frostfire. I did that once when I was recruited with an hour's notice into a country & Irish band and where the feck does 'Walk the Line' go in key changes. The only person who noticed was my guitar roadie.
We did our Christmas gig last night (mad Friday, so called because it's the day most businesses close for the Christmas holidays and EVERYBODY goes to the pub) at the Talbot Hotel in Burnley.
To be honest, I was dreading it, it was fairly last minute, hardly any advertising was done, we hadn't played a gig in months and we'd had no rehearsals.

But we had a support act, 'Mutz Nutz' a punk band that was made up of our drummer, and a couple of really good friends of ours. It was their debut gig and they were incredible, although the place was surprisingly quiet (probably not the correct word for it because those that were there were anything but quiet) but watching them and really enjoying their gig at least made me feel better.
After they finished, I went outside for a smoke and when I came back inside, the place was jumping, absolutely crammed full.
We went on stage, did the business, no problem, quite a fun gig infact, but when we'd played our final standard encore (Paranoid obviously, us being a Sabbath tribute) which normally signals to the crowd that we ain't coming back on after this one, they just wouldn't let us off, the crowd chanted 'More, more, more.' for about 10 minutes solid.
We tried to go and sit down but we were surrounded by people all yelling 'Go on, get back on ya bastards!' so eventualy, to one of the biggest cheers I've ever heard, we went back on.
We looked at each other and said 'So what are we gonna do?' A couple of Sabbath songs were suggested, then our guitarist said, 'How about doing something a little different? Something else instead of Sabbath songs?'
So we dedicated the next song to Mutz Nutz and did Blitzkrieg Bop and the place erupted. People were bouncing all over the place, beer was spilt and thrown around and we kicked some serious ass, even if I do say so myself.
Then we launched into Louie Louie and followed it with the most extreme rendition of Born To Be Wild that I've ever heard, it sounded amazing (even though our bass player had never played it before and I had to go over and shout the notes to him ) and I don't think I've ever felt so proud of my guys. After that, the landlord invited us to stay behind for a lock in once most of the crowd were gone and we all got well and truly plastered (hey, even the entertainment are entitled to a Christmas drink)
All in all, I had one of the best gigs of my life, and to think how nervous I was about it beforehand.
I just wish I could get rid of this hangover and that my voice would return.

So to The Gore Child, I would say don't worry about it, remember it's Christmas and that a party atmosphere will be in the air and everyone will be up for a bit of fun, so just go for it and enjoy yourself.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by The Gore Child
Wow! First time I've ever been sigged! Cheers! What's the killswitch trick? I installed a killswitch into my guitar, so I could probs do it.

I think I'll do what the poster above me said and mime the Run To You intro :P Thanks!

Gigs tomorrow night! It's not my first... But ALOT of my mates are going, so slightly nervous!

The killswitch trick actually doesn't require a kill switch! You turn two volume knobs up, two down. Then flick your pickups so it's on mute. Then strike the chord, do a volume swell to about half volume, then before you do the next effect, flick the pickup so that it's affected by the other two toning knobs. The volume will be substantially higher and it'll allow you to do the New Born Beginning Solo/Riff

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Hey! Cheers for all the replies so far! Had a practice of all the songs today... Just one problem I guess, on New Born, my guitar teacher's lending me his Boss multi-effects pedal (GT 10 I THINK, but don't quote me on that).. The setting's are a clean tone for the beginning of New Born, but then it's on Fat Strat for the rest. I've asked him if I can change it to a more distorted amp model (like a fuzz) but he said it'd take too long and he'd have to change all the sound levels or something, but when we played today, the other guitarist (who's also abit of a show-off) kinda drowned out anything I was playing, as he's using his Boss Me-50 multi-effects pedal.

Any idea on how I can get around this?
Cheers!
Quote by The Gore Child
Hey! Cheers for all the replies so far! Had a practice of all the songs today... Just one problem I guess, on New Born, my guitar teacher's lending me his Boss multi-effects pedal (GT 10 I THINK, but don't quote me on that).. The setting's are a clean tone for the beginning of New Born, but then it's on Fat Strat for the rest. I've asked him if I can change it to a more distorted amp model (like a fuzz) but he said it'd take too long and he'd have to change all the sound levels or something, but when we played today, the other guitarist (who's also abit of a show-off) kinda drowned out anything I was playing, as he's using his Boss Me-50 multi-effects pedal.

Any idea on how I can get around this?
Cheers!

Turn your amp up?
Apparently if I did this.. the guy doing the sound would just turn it back down again or something stupid?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
We did our Christmas gig last night (mad Friday, so called because it's the day most businesses close for the Christmas holidays and EVERYBODY goes to the pub) at the Talbot Hotel in Burnley.
To be honest, I was dreading it, it was fairly last minute, hardly any advertising was done, we hadn't played a gig in months and we'd had no rehearsals.

But we had a support act, 'Mutz Nutz' a punk band that was made up of our drummer, and a couple of really good friends of ours. It was their debut gig and they were incredible, although the place was surprisingly quiet (probably not the correct word for it because those that were there were anything but quiet) but watching them and really enjoying their gig at least made me feel better.
After they finished, I went outside for a smoke and when I came back inside, the place was jumping, absolutely crammed full.
We went on stage, did the business, no problem, quite a fun gig infact, but when we'd played our final standard encore (Paranoid obviously, us being a Sabbath tribute) which normally signals to the crowd that we ain't coming back on after this one, they just wouldn't let us off, the crowd chanted 'More, more, more.' for about 10 minutes solid.
We tried to go and sit down but we were surrounded by people all yelling 'Go on, get back on ya bastards!' so eventualy, to one of the biggest cheers I've ever heard, we went back on.
We looked at each other and said 'So what are we gonna do?' A couple of Sabbath songs were suggested, then our guitarist said, 'How about doing something a little different? Something else instead of Sabbath songs?'
So we dedicated the next song to Mutz Nutz and did Blitzkrieg Bop and the place erupted. People were bouncing all over the place, beer was spilt and thrown around and we kicked some serious ass, even if I do say so myself.
Then we launched into Louie Louie and followed it with the most extreme rendition of Born To Be Wild that I've ever heard, it sounded amazing (even though our bass player had never played it before and I had to go over and shout the notes to him ) and I don't think I've ever felt so proud of my guys. After that, the landlord invited us to stay behind for a lock in once most of the crowd were gone and we all got well and truly plastered (hey, even the entertainment are entitled to a Christmas drink)
All in all, I had one of the best gigs of my life, and to think how nervous I was about it beforehand.
I just wish I could get rid of this hangover and that my voice would return.

So to The Gore Child, I would say don't worry about it, remember it's Christmas and that a party atmosphere will be in the air and everyone will be up for a bit of fun, so just go for it and enjoy yourself.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't worry, no alcoholics were harmed during this gig. We went over everything with a vacum cleaner, then wrung out the dust bag over a bucket and gave 'em all a straw each.