Ok, everybody knows Guitarcenter is the Walmart of guitars, but they are getting a little annoying. I only go there because they have so much stuff local music stores dont, but at a higher price.

I think they put like bots on their sites to do reviews for some of their products, because some of the reviews are rediculously stupid.

"It just doesn't get any better for Blues guitarists like me. I started playing in 1963, and I had an original 1963 Model of this guitar that I traded into in the 70's. It was like a wife to me. The look, feel and TONE of these is phenominal. This ES-345 reissue I have now is actually better.."

How is a re-issue better? Unless they put new stuff in it, which they DIDNT. Also, i saw the most expensive strat is like custom-painted by an artist, comes witha carpet, and amp for like $25,000. There were several reviews saying "dont buy it, the paint felcks off and the amp is glitchy" and the next ay that review was deleted! Also, some cracker said it wa an "excellent guitar, worth every penny". It's jsut a normal strat with different paint, an amp and a carpet.

I guess GC thinks they can pull cheap stuff like this and get away with it.....and sadly they are.
1) This belongs in the Pit.
2) We know, there's not much love for GC here.
so his original 63 was badly setup

the glitchy-amp review was obviously a fake so its only to be expected that it was deleted

...quit the hate man. buy at thomann's. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
We all know guitar center sucks ass thats why I go to a local shop for all my guitaring needs.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I have had good and bad experiences with guitar center. I will say the good outweigh the bad. They are usually more than helpfull to me. But they know be my name and know i spend alot of money in there. I dont just go in there to plug the most expensive guitar into the most expensive amp and leave.
ahh dude, that totally sucks man. i'm from canada and we don't have any GC's around but I always hit one up when I'm down in the states.

i would have to agree with you though, they are really expensive and don't really offer many good deals. i was really surprised that i was getting better deals on most stuff at my local canadian music stores.

in my experience, they have a decent profit margin to deal with so don't always take the sticker price as the final price. do some research before hand and find the best price available on the same brand new product and let the sales guy know. next thing you know he will be crunching numbers with his calculator at the computer while scoping out their cost price.

those are when the real deals come!
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Shop local, FTW.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Quote by dudebud
ahh dude, that totally sucks man. i'm from canada and we don't have any GC's around but I always hit one up when I'm down in the states.

i would have to agree with you though, they are really expensive and don't really offer many good deals. i was really surprised that i was getting better deals on most stuff at my local canadian music stores.

in my experience, they have a decent profit margin to deal with so don't always take the sticker price as the final price. do some research before hand and find the best price available on the same brand new product and let the sales guy know. next thing you know he will be crunching numbers with his calculator at the computer while scoping out their cost price.

those are when the real deals come!

Guitar Center price matches! They will meet or beat anybody's price. And my locally owned guitar shop sucks! They are a bunch of lying crooked jerks! Ive actually had them try to tell me a guitar i was looking at was mahogany, and i knew damn well it was agathis because i researched it on-line. They will say anything to anybody to make a sale. I asked my locally owned guitar shop once how much it would cost for a setup, truss rod, intonation, etc. He told me 80 bucks.... Yeah whatever. c ya.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Dec 18, 2008,
Theyre good because it allows you to try a lot of stuff out, but i agree with you on some of the reviews such as the classic...
"I've been playing for over 20 years and have had every kind of guitar from Gibson's to high end Fenders. I bought this Squier for my kid, but it was so good I kept it for myself, and I can get just as good of tone if not better out of this than my high end American Strats. It is simply an amazing value and beats guitar 4x its price. Stop reading, and go get it now."

haha like wtf, if you've been playin for 20 years and think the squier is better than u dont have hands and are deaf...I mean come on
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Another thing that annoys me is they use to have this awesome wall with all of the best and coolest guitars hanging on it that you can try out. It was full of LPs, Gretsches, Fenders, etc. Then they turned it into starter packs only, and they moved all the cool guitars up to their only other spot, the dreaded Ceiling hooks. They arent on the ceiling but might as well be. Be prepared to ask someone to take a different guitar down for you every 5 damn minutes if you want to look at it. I know the Start-packs are for the holidays and all the people who recently started playing guitar (if you ask me, blame kids who think they will own at guitar because they are good at the plastic version.) but seriously....

I know this is at every store but also the kids who sit there and "shred" the same solo or I-IV-V progression because they think they are good.

I would go local but that;s basically the closest music store to my house, and all the other places have the same stuff, or stuff like LTD's and i guess "Carltons" or something like that.
Quote by nemjeff13
Theyre good because it allows you to try a lot of stuff out, but i agree with you on some of the reviews such as the classic...
"I've been playing for over 20 years and have had every kind of guitar from Gibson's to high end Fenders. I bought this Squier for my kid, but it was so good I kept it for myself, and I can get just as good of tone if not better out of this than my high end American Strats. It is simply an amazing value and beats guitar 4x its price. Stop reading, and go get it now."

haha like wtf, if you've been playin for 20 years and think the squier is better than u dont have hands and are deaf...I mean come on

Dude they keep trying to sell this squeir tele for $169, played it at GC, sounds like crap just compared to my ibanez, and theres this total Bs review for it.

EXACT WORDS:

"I own 24 guitars, ranging from Ernie Ball, Peavey, Gibson, and Fender, but this little Tele is my favorite! I recently started getting pretty heavy into country and flatpicking and just wanted a tele mostly for the tone, and when I picked this little guy up...I was impressed. As far as the play-a-bility of the guitar, it matches my Wolfgangs and Axis. The durability is comparable to some of my high priced Gibsons. I'm leaving it stock....no need to change anything. The pick ups are fine, the neck is fast, and the hardware is good. I'm getting another one in a different color soon as I get some extra cash."

I loled.
Quote by Dragon05555
Dude they keep trying to sell this squeir tele for $169, played it at GC, sounds like crap just compared to my ibanez, and theres this total Bs review for it.

EXACT WORDS:

"I own 24 guitars, ranging from Ernie Ball, Peavey, Gibson, and Fender, but this little Tele is my favorite! I recently started getting pretty heavy into country and flatpicking and just wanted a tele mostly for the tone, and when I picked this little guy up...I was impressed. As far as the play-a-bility of the guitar, it matches my Wolfgangs and Axis. The durability is comparable to some of my high priced Gibsons. I'm leaving it stock....no need to change anything. The pick ups are fine, the neck is fast, and the hardware is good. I'm getting another one in a different color soon as I get some extra cash."

I loled.

Stuff like that is probally written by some dumb kid who is worried about everybody thinking he has a good guitar. Ant its probally his only guitar. He just wants to tell his freinds, "go read the reviews on my guitar" I do hate how guitar center pushes those Laguna guitars and spider amps on people. Guitar center owns Laguna. Of course they are gonna say they are good, Thats all profit, no middle man at all.
For reviews only trust Harmony Central. (and maybe UG)
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
For reviews only trust Harmony Central. (and maybe UG)

I don't even trust a decent number of reviews here or on HC, especially not the HC ones. Take them all with a grain of salt, you'll have fanboys and haters for everything. Keep in mind the relative budget of the people who buy a given guitar and you realize that 10/10 is very relative. If you can find a review that's well-written and clearly had a lot of thought put in to it that's one thing and they can at least have some weight in my decisions, but so many reviews are "OMG SO AWESOOOOOMMMMEEEEE " or "OMFG THIS IS CRAAAAAAPPPPPP ", which really doesn't help. You get someone who says "This is good/bad, and here's why", that's a review I'll pay attention to.
Guitar Center has the exact same price as everyone other major dealer on all the exact same stuff. They have a lot of great stuff. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it. Find me a bad review on something in the reviews on this site.
Quote by Nightfyre
I don't even trust a decent number of reviews here or on HC, especially not the HC ones. Take them all with a grain of salt, you'll have fanboys and haters for everything. Keep in mind the relative budget of the people who buy a given guitar and you realize that 10/10 is very relative. If you can find a review that's well-written and clearly had a lot of thought put in to it that's one thing and they can at least have some weight in my decisions, but so many reviews are "OMG SO AWESOOOOOMMMMEEEEE " or "OMFG THIS IS CRAAAAAAPPPPPP ", which really doesn't help. You get someone who says "This is good/bad, and here's why", that's a review I'll pay attention to.

Actually on HarmonyCentral I've always found the reviews very helpful, 4 out of 5 reviews I agree with after I've bought the instrument. and usually each product has over 20 reviews so it's not so bad

for the ENGL amp I spent over three hours at work reading the reviews over there. payed
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I honestly don't trust any review at all online. I do believe some people's opinions on here and also another forum when I made my own thread (see the Who to listen to list). I mean I've read some reviews of my own amp Peavey Envoy110 and some guy was like "I've played guitar for X number of years, and this 40W amp just rocks, great tone" etc. etc. Gimme a break. Just rocks compared to WHAT? That's the question. I tried out a Peavey Classic 30 stack and a Mesa Express 5:25 last weekend and if I didn't know any better, the Peavey Classic 30 would be the greatest amp ever. But I also tried a Traynor YCV50 the same day and to my ears, the Traynor not only sounded just as good, but it also had more features and had more gain available and more headroom on the clean channel, so I went with the Traynor. If you don't compare these amps to something else, it's pretty hard to make a judgement.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
yea i always look for reviews that are like 7 or 8/10 on here and 3-4 on HC...........but GC is cheaper than my local shop and i always get a deal at GC,never paid thier asking price....unless i order something oneline,ofcourse
Quote by nemjeff13

I don't really think that it matters if one of the guitars is more expensive than the other.
I perfer 600€ WSL guitars over any 2000€ Music Man with EMG's any day.
I agree with you on the stupid reviews, you cant trust them. For the line 6 spider III 75w all you hear is people saying

"its the greatest amp that you can get for this price you shouldn't need anything else it sounds awesome and that its the only amp you will ever need."
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
also, I love their selection, and they always give me the best deals, seeing its next door to a sam ash and if i tell them something is less next door they knock the price down. I know people complain about GC service, and yeah it isn't great but its far better than sam ash's(at least in richmond, VA). At least the people at GC are educated about most of the products in the store and don't tell me to buy something just because its more expensive. There aren't any local stores near me and the closest music store near me sucks so I have to go a hour and a half away to richmond just to try something out.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I've had some good experiences from guitarcenter. the salespeople, at least at the one I go to, are usually very helpful. There are 2 things that piss me off about them though.

First of all, the reviews suck. I mean, i've seen reviews praising the Line 6 spider series and Marshall MG when I know enough to know that they're full of bs. That's why before I make a purchase, I'll either test them out myself and/or look for UG revies via the searchbar.

Secondly, their supply and diversity of brands are quite limited. I would've liked to have shopped for a Mesa or something of higher quality. They just don't have everything that I want, and that pisses me off.
TROGDOR!!!!!!
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I do hate how guitar center pushes those Laguna guitars and spider amps on people. Guitar center owns Laguna. Of course they are gonna say they are good, Thats all profit, no middle man at all.

Laguna's are actually pretty good and ive never had a salesman recommend me one when ive been in there. The spider's though, they really do push those things on you, no matter what. Do they get bigger profit off of them than if they sold another amp that was the same price? Or do they just want to give inexperienced buyers a sub-par amp because they are assholes?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Guitar Center is the only place that can even stay in business in Michigan. I've seen so many music stores close here. Actually when I think about it, EVERY other store besides GC comes and goes so fast they're gone before you even get to go there.
I always try out a "new Guitar" there and then buy from "Chuck Levins" in wheaton , MD...They beat GC prices buy at least 15 percent and if your nice and bargain nice with them you can do even better... Washington music center IE "chuck levins" rocks!
I don't have GC here, but if it's anything like Allan's Music, I'd go there to try stuff because they don't really care (I could be there all day and no employees would come up and say "Hey can I help you with anything?", which I guess is a plus for my purposes but for people actually interested in buying, it's really bad service), but all the local, small stores get really touchy if you play the guitars without intending to buy something. But the local stores try to get whatever they're given, so you can get major discounts there if you buy an expensive item.
Well, I have to say I love going to GC I go to a few every weekend. Juat a couple days ago one of the sales staff turned me on to the greatest deal on a brand new Gibson Explorer w HSC originally priced at $949.00 marked down from $749.00 to $499.95. add the 10% off coupon and it was probably the best deal I ever got from GC on any brand new guitar.

I don't think you'll ever see a selection like they carry in any mom and pop stores and the prices are definately better. I think the only real problem is the huge turn over of the staff. You get to know a person there and they do well for you then they are gone and you have to start over growing a relationship with someone new that will take care or you and let you know if sopmething that comes in you might be interested in. Of course I buy and sell guirtars myself when i can turn them around for a quick profit and I buy a ton of gear for myself so these guys know me and I get the VIP treatment most of the time. Most of the guys I deal with have my home info so they can call me when they need to let me in on a sale or used guitar I might want. I have the same relationship with guys at Daddy's Junky music.

John
The guitar center where i live has a limited selection. They have a whole wall of gibsons and fenders, quite a few epiphone's And then just a couple Schecters and Jacksons, And a few Ibanez. I wish the selection was better. Is it really necessary to have 50 Les Pauls and 50 strats hanging on the wall?
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
the only time i buy from GC is when i know EXACTLY what i need and EXACTLY what im going to pay for it, if you go in there thinking "well ill talk to the salesmen and see what he thinks i need" your going to get your wallet raped
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Daddy's Junky Music is awesome... Non-commisioned salesmen, lots of decent amps (In other words, very few MG's/Spiders). Good Prices too!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by bornfidelity
so his original 63 was badly setup

the glitchy-amp review was obviously a fake so its only to be expected that it was deleted

...quit the hate man. buy at thomann's. ^^

Listen to this dude. I ordered an MIM strat from Thomann and I wasnt expecting it until tomorrow but it arrived today. It was also 100 cheaper than the shops where I live AND it came with a really nice padded Fender Bag, which the local shops dont offer. It arrived in perfect condition too. I'm definitly gonna use Thomann again'
i use ebay. for all my expensive toys. get at least 30-40 percent off. the only thing i buy from gc anymore are strings and cables and fast frets. or multi fx pedals since they are digital and therefore digital stuffs tend to break down over time. but for guitars and amps. ebay is your friend.
My GC has this one HORRIBLE employee. I don't even know his name, but every other word is 'dude'. He's trying to talk to me like he's a teenager, and it really, really grates on me. AND he recommends bad stuff, and lies about being able to get discounts.
Otherwise, they have a decent selection of guitars. But horrible selection of amps. And the aisles are narrow, so you have a tough time getting around people. Never enough stools, the good amps never seem to plugged in/working, etc. Same with the pedal stand. The boss stand is nice, but all the other ones they have never seem to be plugged into the right amp.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300