What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Fender Bass VI and how does it compare to other 6 string basses? I'm contemplating between this and a Peavey Cirrus 6 String USA. Which would be better? And if I tuned the Fender Bass VI to what normal 6 strings are, would it still sound good?
Oh god... Not this can o' worms again.

There's some information on the forum already, i suggest you search for it.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Oh god... Not this can o' worms again.

There's some information on the forum already, i suggest you search for it.

I already did search and found nothing about the Fender Bass VI. The search bar on this forum is terrible and never finds what I'm looking for, so if a thread about this already exists I wouldn't know it unless it was on the first page of the bass forum.
Well, it's somewhere in the area between a bass and a baritone guitar. Closer string spacing than on most basses, shorter scale and thinner strings too.
The Fender is very different. With the scale, the string spacing, and the neck, it feels more like a guitar. I found it very difficult to play fingerstyle. Chordal stuff was cool to play on it.

It's unlike another 6 string you have ever played.
if your looking for a good bass id go with the peavey the fender is more like a baritone guitar
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
it is, basically, the modern definition of a baritone guitar.

you play chords on it.

for an average 6 string bass, check out an Ibanez SR506. much easier to use anyway.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The bass VI is best described a literally a bass guitar. It's tuned the same way, but an octave lower. It's still a bass, in the same way that a double bass and an electric bass are both basses, but it definitely sounds different. As long as you know what you're in for, there's nothing wrong with getting one, but they're so blasted expensive right now that it's really not worth it.

Besides that, the Peavey is an awesome bass, I really don't know why you'd want a Bass VI instead of one of them.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by the humanity
it is, basically, the modern definition of a baritone guitar.

This

It's technically not a bass, but a Baritone Guitar, I think it was one of the first Baritones ever.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
^ No, it's a bass. It was designed as a bass, and has always been a bass. People have used it for a baritone, but when Leo designed it, he designed a bass.
Nope, no sig here.
Baritones tune to a low A, bass is a full octave.

The Bass VI has a longer scale neck than a baritone IIRC.

It is not a baritone guitar.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
last time I had this conversation it ended badly.

I'm leaving.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Mutant Corn
Besides that, the Peavey is an awesome bass, I really don't know why you'd want a Bass VI instead of one of them.

Agreed. It's an odd comparison. Like asking if you should eat licorice or wine gums.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Agreed. It's an odd comparison. Like asking if you should eat licorice or wine gums.

This.

Also, as much as I love the bass VI, the fender reissues of it are WAY overpriced. The Schecter Wildcat VI is a similar thing, supposed to be good, from what I've heard. There's sound clips of it at bassfuzz.com, in the test equipment section. Not bad for $600.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
The reason I'm deciding between them is because I love Fender and they're my first choice for everything, but that's the only 6 string bass they have without ordering from the Custom Shop. And it looks neat too, especially cause it's like a guitar and has a whammy bar. I know that's not very "bassy" but I don't care. But if it's too weird and too expensive, then I'd much rather get a normal 6 string bass from my next favorite company Peavey, and their Cirrus series is great (but also expensive).
the problem is it doesnt play too much like a bass the peavey on the other hand is an excellent choice
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Fender don't make a "normal" 6 string. most 6s are tuned B-C (ie, one added string on the top and on the bottom). The Bass VI is tuned E-e (like a guitar, but 1 octave lower). It's great for playing lead (apparently, Robert Smith plays one a lot in that role, although I'm not a big cure fan, and haven't bothered to figure out which songs he uses it on), but not that much else. I've never had the chance to play one, but Fender Custom Shop basses (like the VI) shouldn't cost half of what Fender charges. However, I do know of this French luthier who loves them, and makes exact replicas of the originals (as sort of a labor of love, I guess), and ships internationally. He even makes one with an active pre amp (better still, it has an active/passive switch and has all the original passive controls). I'm really GASing for one right now. They cost €1850, or ~$2600 (the active ones are €2100 or almost $3000) so I'm going to need to save up.

Here's his site

Knowing some French might help (good thing I'm studying it in school), as not all of the English language section is in English (though all the necessary pages are). Also, his English is kinda mediocre, though if I had to translate a site in English into French, I probably wouldn't do much better.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Two good examples of the bass VI in action are fascination street by the Cure and also 'I miss you' by Blink 182.

Not a Blink fan, but I do like the bass tone on this track.
Quote by Jateca
Two good examples of the bass VI in action are fascination street by the Cure and also 'I miss you' by Blink 182.

Not a Blink fan, but I do like the bass tone on this track.

Mark plays it live using a Bass VI, it was recorded using a standup.
Quote by Captain Insano
Mark plays it live using a Bass VI, it was recorded using a standup.

Really? I always though it sounded wayyy too twangy to be an upright. Not the tone I usually associate with a upright anyway.