The song by Led Zeppelin.

Foostels, I need it by Saturday.

I was thinking A pentatonic but Page seems to go all Bepop style with it.
Db maybe?

or not
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
It's definitely A w/ F# man, tough if you want to find the key, why don't you just try to play some pentatonic scales or something along with the song and listen which sounds best.
Quote by aetherspear
A pentatonic is not a key.

That's why I wrote A pentatonic

A
A
A
A
A
A

Thanks for the answers people
^ A pentatonic what? you do realize there are 2 different basic pentatonic keys, major and minor. is the point i believe aetherspear was trying to make.
Quote by z4twenny
^ A pentatonic what? you do realize there are 2 different basic pentatonic keys, major and minor. is the point i believe aetherspear was trying to make.

I think he was trying to tell me that a pentatonic isn't a key but rather a scale (right, no?)

And I meant Minor Penta, It's just gotten into my head that everyone uses the minor pentatonic that I forgot about the major
Song is in the key of A major, not A minor. Sure, the main riff uses the A minor penta scale, but it's no different then the blues, where you normally hear minor penta (both in solos and vocal melody) over major chords. Same concept.

Also if you listen carefully you can hear an A major chord in the middle part:

------------------
-2--0--2--5--2-
-2--0--2--5--2-
-2--0--2--5--2-
------------------
------------------

Also, the outro solo uses both A major and minor penta. It's common to use major penta in a major key (duh). It's very uncommon to use major penta in a minor key. (example: try soloing in C major penta over Since I've Been Loving You --- ugh!)
Quote by Declan87
minor pentatonic isn't a key either. Song's in A minor.

god-fook.

I know that much!

k, I'll just try out what fits best
The main riff is based off A minor pentatonic/blues. yeah, pentatonic isn't a key... but that's where this is coming from.... the song does not strictly adhere to the practices of the classical era, so you can't really analyze it in those confines..... this is rock & roll / blues based.

Mcanty5 is right in that in some parts the notes mostly come from D Major, though everything revolves around A..... so the key is not D Major or B minor.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by mcanty5
Technically it's in D major / B minor

This thread is almost a year old guys, I already played the song for my sisters Bday and everything went well :P
Doh

shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 13, 2009,
it's in C# minor.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by mcanty5
Technically it's in D major / B minor

why did you think it necessary to try to correct someone in a year old thread?
Db
A combined with F#
G major
A minor
A major
D major
C# minor

it's funny how so many people post conflicting answers to something as simple as a question about a key. The right answers are in there somewhere, but it must be very confusing to people new to this stuff :/

Unless you are completely sure about your answer, how about you keep quiet.
Quote by Beserker

it's funny how so many people post conflicting answers to something as simple as a question about a key. The right answers are in there somewhere, but it must be very confusing to people new to this stuff :/

Unless you are completely sure about your answer, how about you keep quiet.
This.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea