i wrote a tech death intro the other day and somebody told me it didnt make much musical sense and asked what scale i was using, to which i said idk. i figure that's a bad thing, so, most songs how many scales do they use per song? i've just been looking up note charts for the diminished scale in various keys and trying to write with those notes. basically what im getting at, how do i compose songs using scales? or know if i'm "making sense."
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
You generally write a song following a key signature. If you look for a key signature chart youll find it. and then you can have many different scales which will fit over that for your lead line which can change the style of the song drastically
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
i can't make much sense of most of the stuff ive looked at too far, despite needing a teacher, instead of doing that i've been doing this

diminished scale, key of C

http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=3&scch=C&scchnam=Diminished%2C+Half&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

and just using those notes, but its quite limiting
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

If you write something, and you think it sounds good, then use it. It's not a requirement that a song strictly follow a certain scale. Many songs are based off of a scale but have chromatic notes thrown in for flavor. You shouldn't let scales and stuff like that stunt your creativity.
I am a Rocker; I Rock out!
(Semicolons ftw)
it's more so somebody told me my piece i wrote the other day didn't much much sense compositionally, even though i thought it sounded pretty cool.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

He probably meant the notes you were playing didn't fit into any key just using alot of chromatics or accidentals

reguardless, you should learn the basics of music theory

start from the beggining, don't jump right into diminished scales when you have no idea what they are.

Learn your major scale
I bring that kind of situation up with myself a lot. I'll pull some riff out of my head, when i get something that I think sounds good, I'll try to analyze it. Sometimes figuring out what scale it's in is like doing long division. And sometimes I can't find any logical scale that fits what i played. I had a very hard time with this concept at first, because i like to analyze whatever i play, because it's easier for me to write more parts to a song if i know what key etc... to play in. It's difficult for me when i write metal riffs especially, because metal uses a lot of chromatic notes
(Semicolons ftw)
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
He probably meant the notes you were playing didn't fit into any key just using alot of chromatics or accidentals

reguardless, you should learn the basics of music theory

start from the beggining, don't jump right into diminished scales when you have no idea what they are.

Learn your major scale

I agree, the major scale and the theory behind the 7 modes is very important. I don't have them memorized perfectly yet, but i know them well enough that i can figure out different songs by know what scale they're in.
(Semicolons ftw)