So I'm getting a new guitar for Christmas. A Fender MIM Tele. What I want to do is make that guitar my standard tuned one and have my old Ibanez GRX20 be my dedicated detuned guitar (C F Bb Eb G C). I want to modify it to fit this role better.

What I want to do:
Replace the tuners and nut (To make it stay in tune for longer than five minutes)
Replace the pickups (Right now it sounds as if I took Dave Mustaine's sound and dragged it through the mud for about three and a half miles, DISCLAIMER: I like Megadeth ) I wanna go for a Queens of the Stone Age-esque sound

Is this a good idea or bad idea?
If I did it, what are some good parts I can get?
?!
Last edited by grenade24 at Dec 18, 2008,
Grover tuners? Do ALOT of research before changing pickups. Investigate the wood your guitar is made of. For example from playing at the guitar store; active pickups suit an alder body wheras mahogany IMO would be a sacrafice for actives. Please look into what pickups suit what guitars, because you could be making a huge mistake. Maybe Seymour Duncan JB and 59? I mean i dont know but look into it man.
That sounds about fine, but might involve some woodwork depending on the sizes of parts you get etc. Look at seymour duncan, Dimarzio, Dean for high gain pickups (im assuming tthats what you want for drop C) also put on thicker strings.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Yeah just make damn sure you do your research very well before you buy anything
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by charlie__flynn
That sounds about fine, but might involve some woodwork depending on the sizes of parts you get etc. Look at seymour duncan, Dimarzio, Dean for high gain pickups (im assuming tthats what you want for drop C) also put on thicker strings.

I'm gonna be using .11s probably.
And I dont want the pickups too high gain.
?!
Look into a Duncan Invader SH-8 in the bridge position i really like it personally and one of the guys in queens of the stoneage use it i think but they are made to be a high gain passive pickup but id look into them some schecters have them in so go to your local store and ask for a schecter with one and give it a whirl and see what u think
qotsa also uses bass amps for their guitars to achieve thier sound i think so just keep that in mind
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
There are better pups for high gain than the Invader. My advice would be to do lots of research and then, when you think you have an idea of what you want for the pups, go try guitars that already have them in and let your ears decide.
youre tuning that low and u want it to sound like QOTSA???
ambitious

and there is nothing wrong with dave mustaines sound!
QOTSA downtuned for many a year.

Most of their hits are in C standard. Dave Mustaine's got a fine sound, it just doesn't seem to me Megadeth would cover Go With The Flow.
Quote by alternitivebass
qotsa also uses bass amps for their guitars to achieve thier sound i think so just keep that in mind

I don't want to sound like QOTSA 100% of the time, just when I play my Ibanez.
?!
Quote by Guitargod12345
a new guitar

I'm already getting the telecaster for christmas, so the leftover money from people that have no idea what to get me will go towards the upgrades on my Ibanez.
?!
Quote by grenade24
So I'm getting a new guitar for Christmas. A Fender MIM Tele. What I want to do is make that guitar my standard tuned one and have my old Ibanez GRX20 be my dedicated detuned guitar (C F Bb Eb G C). I want to modify it to fit this role better.

What I want to do:
Replace the tuners and nut (To make it stay in tune for longer than five minutes)
Replace the pickups (Right now it sounds as if I took Dave Mustaine's sound and dragged it through the mud for about three and a half miles) I wanna go for a Queens of the Stone Age-esque sound

Is this a good idea or bad idea?
If I did it, what are some good parts I can get?
I find that the tuners on even the most inexpensive guitars can hold tune if restringing is done properly.

Definitely replace the plastic nut.

Before replacing the PUs, do you have a decent amp?

Quote by ortrigger
There are better pups for high gain than the Invader. My advice would be to do lots of research and then, when you think you have an idea of what you want for the pups, go try guitars that already have them in and let your ears decide.

What would be some brands to look at?
Would I be able to get sound samples of them?
?!
Quote by Ippon

Definitely replace the plastic nut.

Before replacing the PUs, do you have a decent amp?

I think my VoxAD50VT qualifies for much better than "decent".

What kind of nut would I be able to replace it with?
?!
look into an earvana nut there awesome or any regular graphite nut is good as long as its the proper size
Quote by JessyB96
look into an earvana nut there awesome or any regular graphite nut is good as long as its the proper size

Ok, thanks.

Ill definitely be replacing the tuners and nut, and have decided on a bridge pickup, a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader. (Thanks for the suggestion JessyB96). I went to their site and looked around in other various places for sound samples and it seems to be just what I need.

One problem. I dont know if it would be worth it to put an $80 pickup in a guitar that was only about $150.

Is it worth it to put the Invader in? (It is a rather well made guitar aside from the pickups and tuners)
If so, when i put it in, will i ever be able to take it out to put into another guitar?
?!
I think that a cheapass modded guitar can out come ALOT of the high priced guitars if done correctly.

I really don't know any high gain pup besides the invader, my friend just ignored it and got pedals to outcome this issue when had it.

But after reasearching and reading a bit i ended by selecting this as one of the highest gain pickups i got to find.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lace-Sensor-Red-Red-Dually-Humbucker-Pickup-482422-i1400758.gc

Even higher than invaders IMO.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
i have a similar question to yours grenade24. I'd like to know if its worth installing pickups on a Washburn
x-series $200 guitar its got a basswood body and 2 hum-bucker pickups and they don't make the one i have any more,think its a x-20 or something.
Quote by Line6
I think that a cheapass modded guitar can out come ALOT of the high priced guitars if done correctly.

I really don't know any high gain pup besides the invader, my friend just ignored it and got pedals to outcome this issue when had it.

But after reasearching and reading a bit i ended by selecting this as one of the highest gain pickups i got to find.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lace-Sensor-Red-Red-Dually-Humbucker-Pickup-482422-i1400758.gc

Even higher than invaders IMO.

I'm not looking for insanely high gain, I'm looking for the right sound, and so far the Invaders have been the only ones to fit what I need them for.

Ok, it settled, my next project is modding the hell out of my Ibanez.
Probably gonna go with Grover Tuners, a graphite nut(not sure what kind), and a Seymour Duncan SH8 Invader in the bridge position of my guitar.
?!
honestly mate upgrading a crap guitar usually works out awesome i personally haven't done it much outside of pickup changes but my little brother took a junk jay turser explorer and popped a floyd rose original in it a dimarzio tone zone then painted it to his liking and it sounds just as good as my esp eclipse that i payed about a grand for and this cost him maybe 400 for the guitar and upgrades. and im glad ur into the invader i personally love those pickups i used to have one in a crappy flying v before i sold it. still got it lying around in case