what the hell is with 'tehguitarist'?
i dont play jazz, but its an impressive way of playing guitar that requires as much skill as any other
probly got his nose too far up the ass of metal that he cant bare to diversify his tastes ... tool

(im not bashing metal, just 'tehguitarist')
Quote by thrash-it-up
i dont play jazz, but its an impressive way of playing guitar that requires as much skill as any other
probly got his nose too far up the ass of metal that he cant bare to diversify his tastes ... tool

Yeah he's just being a fag. I've got my nose so far up the ass of metal its crazy, but I still have respect for jazz. Personally, I think its a cool thing to play.
Whats a sig?
Quote by thrash-it-up

I agree
im not a big jazz player, i do like to play the chords tho its great practise, but it is an incredble form of guitar playing.

Check out 'Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan' for some a great chord sequence and for one of the best solos ever written, very jazzy and borderline rock.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Its not as easy as just going out and buying a tab book. I would however recommend getting a real book. They usually have around 200 charts (notation of the the head and chord changes) that you can work with. The most important thing you can do to play jazz however is to listen to the records. The more you listen the better you will be in your solos.

The video you posted is an arrangement of Miles Davis' original. What the guy in the video did was take the changes (from a chart or by ear) and the head and played them together by outlining the chords in arpeggios, changing the bass with the chords and playing the head on top of it all. In all probability he didn't use a book or anything but his knowledge of theory and his feel for jazz to come up with it.

EDIT: I've done an arrangement of Naima by John Coltrane, Summertime would be a good one to work up, Autumn Leaves would be pretty neat as well. Really any song would work but you have to arrange it your self. Thats half the fun!
Sig What?
Last edited by darth awsome at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by TehGuitarist
*Warned*

No.

But you got banned.
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.