i'm much into tech death metal and i've been yearning to play the arpeggios and fast scale runs of the genre and what not but i can't pick too fast. i was wondering, what should i be working on metronome wise? should i just start with playing a note for every click? i don't understand it really, doing 1 note per click as opposed to 16th/8th notes per click doesn't seem like i'm going to build speed, yet i can't do 16th/8th notes too fast.

My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
play in 16ths but do it SLOW

you are probably gonna need to sweep pick as well, this stuff takes time

just build up the speed as you go but don't expect instant results
Quote by rorywal

just build up the speed as you go but don't expect instant results

^This.
Depending on your level, start playing scales at let's say 65-85 BPM and move up to and beyond 120.
Shreding techniques like sweep picking will help, but imo, get fast just alternate picking first!
Learn songs and play them behind a backing track. If there are techniques that are not included in any song you would like to learn make a backing track yourself with a drum loop. Leave metronome practice for 2 month before you go into a studio to record your first album. =D
i can already do 3 string sweeps, i can tap, i can do semi-decent legato (on one string i can do it perfectly, moving around not so much) but i'm not too FAST...i've been doing chromatic runs at 4 notes per second starting at 50 bpm and i'm just going to work my way up. hopefully this helps.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION