Are Dimarzios good metal pickups? I am talking mostly about D-Activators and Evolutions. I play a lot of metal, ranging from death metal to metalcore to classic and power metal. I am buying a new guitar soon, either Ibanez or ESP because my Dean has horrible stock pickups and a thick neck. The new guitar will be $300 to 400. I dont want to spend another 210 bucks on EMGs but possible 150 bucks on Dimarzios. Please help me out.
D-activators are great for metal, they're the stock pups on the Ibanez Xiphos and sounded amazing when I tried them out
ohai little sig.
i always liked tonezones...and yes they are good metal pickups, they make alot of hot pups.
In addition to the D Activators and Evos try out an X2N bridge if you can. They're extremely hot, but if you EQ them right, they pretty much can do no wrong as a metal pickup. If you're curious as to a sound, check out some of Death's later recordings, when Chuck starting using an X2N for basically everything.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
But Dimarzios can play good highs, lows, and mids right? Not just one or the other?
Lots of metal players use Dimarzio pickups. So it would be pretty safe to assume they work well!

Just make sure you get the right model...sounds like you want a high-output pickup.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by matx33
Lots of metal players use Dimarzio pickups. So it would be pretty safe to assume they work well!

Just make sure you get the right model...sounds like you want a high-output pickup.

Yes I would like high-output pickups. My Dean pickups are the lowest output I have heard. Tapping is nearly impossible on them. And they don't sound too compared to other stocks.
Does anyone know if PAF pros are good?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Yes they're very good, but i wouldn't recommend them for really heavy metal... Paf pros..think Paul Gilbert tone
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
dimarzio makes great pickups for practically every genre.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
What amp are you using?

And pickups have sod all to do with your ability to tap - if that's your problem then it's not the pickups fault.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hell yeah. And Drop-Sonics too
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Tone Zone/Evos are a winning combination
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Death, Symphony X (the album Paradise Lost), and many others use DiMarzio pickups. So yes
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Why are Dimarzios so cheap compared to EMGs? They are 20 bucks cheaper and have heard that they are close to as high output as EMGs and can play clean a lot better than them.
Not too sure. Maybe because EMG have the reputation and can push for more money than DiMarzio?

I'm sure far more 'famous' musicians use EMG than DiMarzio too so that may have something to do with it
DiMarzios work reallly well for metal, but one thing you have to be careful of is that you don't get one that cuts too much, because they make a bunch of really nice lead pups, but if you want a good metal rhythm sound you're going to have to avoid those. My main guitar is set up with a Tone Zone and a PAF Pro right now, and the TZ works great when I crank it, but if you want high gain stay away from the PAF. I've heard that X2Ns are noise machines, so you may want to go with D-Activators.

Also, I hate to say it, but if you want that really nice active pup sound, you're going to have to drop the money on some EMG's. It's all preference so go check some out and see what you like better, but remember that you'll hopefully have these for a long time, and it's better to spend a little extra money and get the best possible instead of spending less, regretting it, and then spending more money on the other later.
Quote by Tiki Rock
Why are Dimarzios so cheap compared to EMGs? They are 20 bucks cheaper and have heard that they are close to as high output as EMGs and can play clean a lot better than them.

EMGs are more complicated - remember, you're buying a battery powered pre-amp and a stereo jack well as the pickups themselves.

Active pickups are still a relatively small part of the market, Dimarzio have a much larger user base.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com