So I recently sold my Fender Jazz Special and got an Epiphone EB-3, which fills out my power trio a lot better. However, I'm still getting used to tweaking the EQ from a rattly Fender -- basically, crank the bass and lower the highs -- to a thick, muddy EB. At our last show, the bass and midtones caused the vocal mics to feed back. However, when I fiddle with cranking the highs, I lose a lot of the deeper, woodier tones I so desperately need.

Any other EB vets here? What have you done at shows? What is the magic formula on these to get just the right balance of tone and bite?

Epilogue: The guy ended up turning off the mic that was on the bass amp and just let my amp fill the room, which worked just fine -- though why he didn't line out into the sound system I'll never know.
Mids, man. Play with them enough and you'll find what you need. What sort of EQ does your amp have?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Anonymous Iggy
So I recently sold my Fender Jazz Special and got an Epiphone EB-3,

whyyyyyyyyyyy!

yeah i hated my eb3, would have traded you any day haha. i agree with mutant though, mids
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Dec 18, 2008,
*opens mouth* *closes mouth* *opens mouth* *closes mouth*

Why?!

At any rate, definitely cut out subbass frequencies, like the lowest possible EQ placement to 80ish or so. That will help. Also, boost mids and don't cut and highs.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
*opens mouth* *closes mouth* *opens mouth* *closes mouth*

Why?!

At any rate, definitely cut out subbass frequencies, like the lowest possible EQ placement to 80ish or so. That will help. Also, boost mids and don't cut any highs.

Heh, what can I say -- I was raised on Macca basslines, where you aim for mobile, melodic basslines over growly GnR thuds.

Anyway, I've tried messing around with increasing the mids, but that's the range that makes the house rattle and the snare/tom heads vibrate -- and the range the big ol' neck pickup likes to harp on.

Oh, my EQ: Bass, Mid, High, overall Tone; also, I'm playing through a Hartke B90, for what that's worth.