I know the major scale and the wwhwwwh thing, but I only know it in the 6th string. How do I know what notes I have to hit on the other strings?
Quote by cad2blender
I know the major scale and the wwhwwwh thing, but I only know it in the 6th string. How do I know what notes I have to hit on the other strings?

Learn some scale patterns...
that system is not linked to strings in any way. It's linked to notes.

The C Major scale, worked out using that system is as follows:

C-W-D-W-E-H-F-W-G-W-A-W-B-H-C

which takes us to C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

It's nothing to do with the strings, those are just the notes you play in order to play in C Major.
6th string 5th fret = 5th string open.
use that knowledge
that's the thing, I know some but I want to know if I ALWAYS have to use them or not. Some say you should not memorize them, others say just memorize the intervals
if you learn the scale shapes for the major scale they can be used all over the neck so you can use them in any key

there are probably about five or so shapes so its not that hard

it all just sticks in the end

you don't need to know the theory necessarily to play a scale
if you learn the scale shapes for the major scale they can be used all over the neck so you can use them in any key

So I can use the same shape as the Gmajor scale , but I simply begin on say, A note on the 6th string that will become the A major scale instead of the Gmajor scale?
you find the same notes on the other strings.so say you were playing the g major scale on the 6th string...
E--3--5--7--8--10--12--14--15

you then just shift notes around so for instance 7th fret on the E string is the same as the 2nd fret on the A string.do it for all of them and you'll end up wiuth either...

D-------------------2--4--5
A---------2--3--5----------
E--3--5---------------------

to extend to all 6 string you simply start the note cycle again

also,if you get confused more and more,have a look at some of the scale lessons the lessons area,they tend to help a lot
exactly, if you play the shape with the root on the 5th fret (low E) that's A major, shift it down to 3rd and you have G major

just get the scale shapes off the net
Thanks a lot guys. It now makes tons of more sense This stuff is pretty confusing when you learn by yourself. I can use any shape I just simply move around the root and I get another scale in a different key... I have seen the light....
You need to learn the notes, the tones, whatever the name is, and then find the tones/notes on the other strings, below where you begin on the string you're on.. or above.. whatever.

Just hit same same notes, on different strings., not that hard. It'll take abit of thinking, so write it down, when you're done, you have a scale pattern.

Though it's ten times easier just to find the patterns on the internet.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!