Is there a scientific explanation for why time can feel like it is different durring different situations?

Say you have tryouts for something. When your done trying out you think oh god it must be hours later than when I started but as soon as you look at the clock it turns out only 5 mins have passed by.

Oh this example is the best. When your sleeping and you you go to sleep for 5 seconds and when you wake up it is half and hour later.

Why the eff does this happen?
Sleep. It's just 'cause you're not concious and you don't notice time passing.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
because when you sleep your brain becomes unconcsious (sp?), therefore not being aware of time passing by.
Kyuss is quite possibly the best sound on the planet
Quote by Ozloz
because when you sleep your brain becomes unconcsious (sp?), therefore not being aware of time passing by.

Part of it does.
Carmel is hawt
I wanna know why work drags so much when its not busy.
Every second feels like an eternity.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
cause time flies when you having fun, and slows down when you stressed
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I always find return car journeys go quicker than the outbound journey for some reason. Ann its not because i drive faster.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
It's something to do with our brain's perception of time or something, and how we can control it to a certain extent. Or not control it, so it feels different, etc. This is the moment when I really wish I bothered to properly memorise New Scientist articles. The one thing I do remember is speculation that in the future, distant or not so very, we may well learn to change our perception of time when we want to, thus slowing or spedding up time. Awesome.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Quote by HammettHead

Right. The brain can only handle 3 stimulii at once.
Whether its looking at something, hearing something, feeling something or any other, only 3 can be done at the same time.
Once something new is added, one of the 3 gets ignored.
(Note, people with epilepsy do not have this ability, hence why they get fits when their brain gets overloaded)

When you're busy working, the brain takes in different stimulii, but not time, hence why time feels like it's going so fast.

But when there's less work, time can act as a stimulus and make you more aware, making you feel it going slower.
Carmel is hawt
This is something I don't understand at all. The other thing is, how can time be different for different people?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Jako215
but how does that explain time feeling different for the first situation.

If your mind isn't distracted by any interesting activity you tend to pay more attention to time, hence it seeming to pass slowly. If you are engaged in something then you are paying less attention to it and therefore it feels as though it's moving faster
ohai little sig.
Quote by HammettHead

It's probably cause you think more when your bored. Somewhat tires you out/slows you down. thats my guess. Thinking about **** can be more straining then actual work.
I imagine it is just because you are not registering it so do not notice time passing but when you are forced to think about it you notice every second so it seems much slower.

/I had a go.
If you hit your watch against a wall, then look at your watch to see if it still works it takes what feels like 10 seconds. It's solely because your brain goes in overdrive, and render's and processes more frames.
-J
Quote by aaciseric
I imagine it is just because you are not registering it so do not notice time passing but when you are forced to think about it you notice every second so it seems much slower.

/I had a go.

Like when you activate Slowmo to kick some Replica soldier ass! F*ck you ORIGIN!
Quote by Jako215
Is there a scientific explanation for why time can feel like it is different durring different situations?

Say you have tryouts for something. When your done trying out you think oh god it must be hours later than when I started but as soon as you look at the clock it turns out only 5 mins have passed by.
Adrenaline

Quote by Jako215
Oh this example is the best. When your sleeping and you you go to sleep for 5 seconds and when you wake up it is half and hour later.

Why the eff does this happen?
You lost consciousness therefore you were not conscious of time.
Quote by rabidguitarist
This is something I don't understand at all. The other thing is, how can time be different for different people?
It isn't, you're ability to judge it is.
Quote by Zecromancer
Does anyone care to explain why times passes by slowly while on drugs?

No. Nobody.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
It's DMT. For those of you who don't know, DMT is a hallucinogenic chemical. It also exists naturally in our bodies and is released by our brains during REM sleep. DMT is what causes us to dream. It also causes a distortion of time.
During times of inactivity, your brain releases small amounts of DMT, which causes you to feel as though time is moving slower than it really is. When you're active, your brain doesn't release any, so you don't feel that distortion of time that you do during a slow work day or a period of boredom.
Quote by Jako215

hate that. has made me late so many times.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by Supertait
I always find return car journeys go quicker than the outbound journey for some reason. Ann its not because i drive faster.

i notice that too... its odd....
I wonder if there is some sort of science behind the feeling of a day..

like when you say "oh it feels like a wednesday" on a saturday or something.

and i hate the feeling of thursdays.. they always just end up being ****.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
I wonder if there is some sort of science behind the feeling of a day..

like when you say "oh it feels like a wednesday" on a saturday or something.

and i hate the feeling of thursdays.. they always just end up being ****.

Now THIS is a question whose answer will bring us one step closer to the meaning of life.
Your brain can slow your perception of time to an extent. For example if you're a wide receiver (in american football) and you're about to make a catch, you brain would divert most of your sensory impulses to your vision. Basically it would increase the 'frame rate' of your vision so to speak, and time would seem to slow down.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
relativity
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by Supertait

I think that has to do with anticipation. When the anticipation is high, or at least higher, at the prospect of arriving somewhere new it will seem longer. But when you're going home the anticipation is lower because it's not new or exciting and the time just goes quickly because you aren't really actively thinking about it.