Page 1 of 2
All right, this may be a stupid question, but I can't find measure in centimeters of how big Marshall MG30DFX amp really is.

To me it seems a lot bigger than any other 30w amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why do you care??

If it fits in your fireplace then it doesn't matter what its measurements are.

if you dont understand what hes implying, then listen to me: DONT GET THAT AMP
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why do you care??

HA
476 x 410 x 240 mm

your welcome
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by holydiver7
it's not worth the price?

Hit the nail right on the head.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why do you care??

win
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It's not very big compared to other amps like that.
It's just the same size as any other tbh, or it's made a little bit bigger to help it sell more. Seems to work. But yeah, it is a bad choice in amp. But if you like it, go for it.
Sweet.
Quote by holydiver7
Thanks.

But why I shouldn't get, it's not worth the price?

Nope!

They are poorly constructed and made from very cheap parts, but it sold for the price it is because it says "Marshall" on it.

You should look into the Roland Cube series, the Vox Valvetronix series, and the Peavey Vypyr series - they are all a good bit different from each other but they are all good amps. Try all three of those and I'm sure you will be happy with one of them!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why do you care??

That was good. But I still want to make a bar out of those amps.

TS - Budget? Do you play anything besides Dio? Please give bands/songs you play so we can actually help you. Can you buy used? Do you plan on gigging with a drummer?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
That was good. But I still want to make a bar out of those amps.

TS - Budget? Do you play anything besides Dio? Please give bands/songs you play so we can actually help you. Can you buy used? Do you plan on gigging with a drummer?

A bar out of marshall cabs would be pretty sweet... Hook up a home stereo system to them... Well I know what my next bar project will be lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
A bar out of marshall cabs would be pretty sweet... Hook up a home stereo system to them... Well I know what my next bar project will be lol

Cabs! I hadn't thought of that, I was going to stack combos but two cabs would be perfect. Thanks IP! You sir are a genius!

TS - budget? bands? gig?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why do you care??

That statement was preeety much winsauce
Quote by gregs1020
Cabs! I hadn't thought of that, I was going to stack combos but two cabs would be perfect. Thanks IP! You sir are a genius!

TS - budget? bands? gig?

thats what im here for...
Well I need an amp mainly for rock and metal, bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Whitesnake, In Flames, Dio and so, but I would like to play some blues on it like ZZ Top, Gary Moore and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Now my budget is around 200$, perhaps 250$, so I would use it mostly for playing at home. I already have an amp with 15w, but I now I am looking for something more serious with more effects and 30w.

So if you have some proposals, I would be most grateful.
Vox valvetronix, Roland cube, or peavey vypyr series.

Go out to the closest guitar shop, and look for any of those that fit your budget (I think the 30w versions of all of them are around $250-300)
OK, I'll try these amps.

Just one more question - what about Orange Crush 30r?
Quote by holydiver7
OK, I'll try these amps.

Just one more question - what about Orange Crush 30r?

If thats the solid state, then I wouldn't go for it. From what I've read and heard the majority of people say that orange is only worth it for the tube amps, if your going solid state go for the roland.
I think a Peavey Vypyr would suit you well.
It's a modelling amp, from the better ones. I think you could afford the 30W version (it's around 200$).
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
About the Orange, yes it is a solid state, so I'll skip it then.

I have played on that Vox earlier and I didn't liked it, but I'll try it again, maybe I change my mind.

Still I believe it is a choice between Roland Cube and Peavey Vyper, I'll see which one suits me better.

Thanks for your help!
If you want effects, then the roland cube 30, vypyr 30, Vox AD30 or if you can find a used flextone in that price range it would be a good amp as well.
Quote by Nite_storm
If thats the solid state, then I wouldn't go for it. From what I've read and heard the majority of people say that orange is only worth it for the tube amps, if your going solid state go for the roland.

+1

It's way overpriced for what you're getting. It's not a bad amp, it's just not a financially smart decision.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by gregs1020
If you want effects, then the roland cube 30, vypyr 30, Vox AD30

Since I would also like to play Pink Floyd and a lot of Blues this will decide:

Which one has the best clean?
Quote by holydiver7
Since I would also like to play Pink Floyd and a lot of Blues this will decide:

Which one has the best clean?

Well good question, it's always a matter of opinion though. They all have good cleans, the Roland is more crisp while the Vox is warmer. I didn't try the cleans too much on the vypyr I tried since it's an amp geared more for metal - "in my opinion" but nothing struck me as being bad on the amp. I use a bit of reverb with cleans to warm them up so I found all three to have good cleans. My personal favorite was the Vox, but that doesn't mean you will agree when you try them. (I'm more of a blues guy, fwiw). I think the vox is better for floyd, and anything into hard rock/classic rock. For metal stuff, the roland and vypyr are probably better - get more metal tones.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
SuperChamp XD

Superior amp to the three I listed if it fits in your budget. Great call 311.
I just searched Fender Super Champ on the net - a tube amp with 15w, as I know that is better than 30w solid state amps, but it is over my budget - over 300$

And just, when you said Vox AD30, have you thought of Vox AD30VT or is it another model?
Yes the AD30VT, I just left off the vt part, sorry! Do you have any used amp options where you are? A used Flextone or SuperChamp XD may be attainable that way.
You can always try stretching your budget or take on a 2nd job/odd jobs. It's worth it.

BTW - the problem never goes away so get used to it. As your tone and brain and budget develop you will keep wanting the next best thing. It's called GAS.
No need to apologise, you helped me very much
That Vox seem to be some kind of combination, something between tube and solid state amp, I must admit that it's the first time I heard of something like that.

Used amps? Well, hardly. But I will remember what you said and if I find any used Super Champ or Flextone selling, I'll definitely try them out.

@311ZOSOVHJH
Well I believe that what you said is pure truth, I'll always look for something better, I can't help it

And to be honest it is hard for me, these days, to earn extra cash, I simply can't find enough time for another job.
Last edited by holydiver7 at Dec 19, 2008,
the mg's are good for metal, they have a lot of distortion, i like the mg over most other SS amps in the price range, as for blues, u'd have to use ur neck pickups on the clean channal and adjust your tone to get a bluesy sound from that amp, but i'd say its a good starter amp even tho pretty much everyone on here will tell you different, but what kind of guitar do you have?
Marshall MG series:
-Very overpriced
-You can get better for that much $$$
-Bad tone
-Somewhat unreliable.

Four VERY good reasons to NOT buy a Marshall MG.

Edit: Just saw this:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
SuperChamp XD

Great amp.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Hey I'm back with another question.

I have tried Roland Cube and Vox AD30VT and I liked Vox over Roland, but the guy that work in the shop have told me to look for Vox AD30VT XL since it is more rock oriented amp.

So my question is, what is the exact difference between Vox AD30VT and Vox AD30VT XL, beside different 11 amp settings and the fact that XL doesn't have auto wah?

And is XL also hybrid between tube and solid state amp?
Quote by hansolo1106
I think a Peavey Vypyr would suit you well.
It's a modelling amp, from the better ones. I think you could afford the 30W version (it's around 200$).

This this this this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2