Ok so heres the deal my band has a gig tomm. night that we play pretty regularly usually at least 3 or 4 times a month here lately, we started out opening for people but the last four or five shows here we've been headlining. well the owner gives me a call today and tells me that our opener has bailed and wanted to see if i could find him a band he could get on such short notice now i had some ideas of bands in my head that wouldve had no problem but they're all booked out. and im really not real keen on doing what im about to suggest but i owe this guy majorly. Well anyway me and my guitarist/singer have been doin small coffee shop acoustic gigs so i talked to him and he agrees that we can open up this show double the profits and such. what i want to know is how tough is this going to be, we're expected to play a 45 min. set first i believe then an hour break and a hour and a half set. has anyone ever done this and just what did i get myself into?
My band would play all night. From like 10:30pm till about 2:00am, that's like 3 and a half hours & about 27-28 songs. It can be done.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
My band would play all night. From like 10:30pm till about 2:00am, that's like 3 and a half hours & about 27-28 songs. It can be done.

yea ive played all night but the main thing im worried about is when we get to our main gig the one we're really worried about is my singers voice being shot, maybe we should take the acoustic cover of .45 off the set list haha
well, I'd do the band thing first and then acoustic, Dunno what kind of genre u guys do, But it's prolly metal or hardcore or something <- I could be very very wrong though.

If that's so then u should do that the acoustic comes behind the loud noises.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
TS, your grammar is disgusting.
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by G-loony
well, I'd do the band thing first and then acoustic, Dunno what kind of genre u guys do, But it's prolly metal or hardcore or something <- I could be very very wrong though.

If that's so then u should do that the acoustic comes behind the loud noises.

haha yea very wrong the acoustic set is gonna be jack johnson dispatch citizen cope type stuff, and i guess youd call the band alt rock maybe i really dont know how to classify us

and im not going to ask the rest of the band to open the show and play to fewer people when the two of us go up in front of a larger crowd, i would like to just play a longer set with the whole band but we dont have that much material ready
Last edited by dmiwshicldply at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by Corruption
TS, your grammar is disgusting.

i really dont give two ****s about impressing people with my grammer on a internet discussion board so blow me you condescending bastard
If this is a cover band then just have the band learn some insanely simple songs. If you do orginal's then consider throwing in some insanely simple cover songs and keep them within the limits of your singers voice so he/she doesn't suffer.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
we play a mixture of originals and covers and as far as tomm. goes we're gonna go ahead like this but we will be adding to our setlist in the near future in case this comes up again
Quote by dmiwshicldply
i really dont give two ****s about impressing people with my grammer on a internet discussion board so blow me you condescending bastard

I'm inclined to think you're in a punk band! Well said!
xD
God damn that made my night.
Well, could you find a different singer for the acoustic? Like someone that you know well outside of your band?
Quote by NckSprks
I'm inclined to think you're in a punk band! Well said!
xD
God damn that made my night.
Well, could you find a different singer for the acoustic? Like someone that you know well outside of your band?

why thank you
and we do play some punk

but that was my first thought to and i checked with the only person with any singing inclination thats not in a band and not booked that night and she has some kinda family christmas ****.

but i talked to my singer again and he feels confident he can pull it off so we'll just have to see how it works
Quote by dmiwshicldply
why thank you
and we do play some punk

but that was my first thought to and i checked with the only person with any singing inclination thats not in a band and not booked that night and she has some kinda family christmas ****.

but i talked to my singer again and he feels confident he can pull it off so we'll just have to see how it works

Yeah, that was a nice answer. :P Was the gig last night or is it in a few days? What songs are you playing?
Quote by dmiwshicldply
its tonight and which set? acoustic or band?

Both. Just say

ACOUSTIC
Blah. (Unplugged)
Bleeh. (Unplugged)

BAND
Blah.
Bleeh.
well i dont have the excact setlist with me but its goin to be something like this

Acoustic (not in any certain order)
rodeo clowns - jack johnson
the general - dispacth
two coins - dispatch
45 - shinedown
black hole sun - soundgarden
touch peel and stand - days of the new
sons gonna rise - citizen cope
the pusher - blind melon
dock of the bay - i think otis redding was the original singer but im not positive but i know this or the pusher is gonna be the last of the set

Band (again no certain order)
killing in the name of - RATM
milk - kings of leon
rockin in the free world - niel young
song 2 - blur
smells like teen spirit - nirvana
paint it black - the stones
your touch - the black keys
beer - reel big fish
date rape - sublime
louisiana saturday night - benjy davis project (if you havent heard of these guys download em they started out as a local band around here and their really cool guys too)
pardon me - incubus

there are more but i cant think of em right now, plus we havent made out the set list for the band gig yet so nothing is in stone but all of these will more than likely be played
killing in the name of - RATM
song 2 - blur
smells like teen spirit - nirvana

Don't know about there, But if we play those 3 songs here the crowd would go wild 'O_o
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
just to let yall know if any of you are interested the show was amazing if wanna know more details ask tomm. cause im ****ed up and goin 2 bed
I used to be in two seperate bands at once, and sometimes we would gig together... I'd end up doing two sets with the first band, and two with the headliner. Gave my audience a chance to see me do two different things, and put more money in my pocket.

More exposure + more money = WIN!

Expect to be tired, pulling double-duty can be a pain, literally.