I'm sick of it.....sick of sucking ass at guitar, sick of people saying I suck, sick of my horrible song writing skills, and sick of all my improvisations sounding like robotic emotionless garbage. I'm sick of not being able to play certain riffs or solos. I want to be good so bad, but I'm just stuck. I hear so many different things on how to shred I dunno what to believe. I'm not seeing results fast enough so that's also depressing.

So wtf do I do? How long should I practice a day? What do I practice? How do I make my playing more emotional? Do I practice songs or exercises for improvement?
Find a song by someone who doesnt suck. Learn that song. If you can't, practice what makes you not able to. Find a harder song. Learn that song. If you can't, practice what makes you not able to.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
u will never see results fast enough...dats wat playin the guitar is all about...perseverance...patience...if u cant play a certain riff or solo, just leave it for the time being...play somethin else...try the earlier riff after sometime...i remember there was a time when i cudnt play the intro solo of one...so i left it...played other stuff then one day out of the blue i tried playin it and found out i cud keep up...so then i sat down and mastered it....(kinda... )...about the improvisation cant say much...dunno much theory...learnin though...go ZeGuitarist !!!
Also to improve u gotta do exercises to build ur chops but also have to play songs at the same cuz its more fun...plus if u have frnds over u cud jam if u all know a few songs...jammin with mates always helps...
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
These are all good questions to ask a guitar teacher. Get lessons. Not every one can just wing it.
I'll agree with that. There's a TON of good that can come out of learning from a teacher. I'd at least try to get a more advanced guitarist to teach you a thing or two, even if its not a teacher. I wish that I would have learned from a teacher personally.
haha ya, jammin with buddies will help, make sure u dont have asshole neighbours tho, mine calls the cops everytime we jam
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled
I'm sick of it.....sick of sucking ass at guitar, sick of people saying I suck, sick of my horrible song writing skills, and sick of all my improvisations sounding like robotic emotionless garbage. I'm sick of not being able to play certain riffs or solos. I want to be good so bad, but I'm just stuck. I hear so many different things on how to shred I dunno what to believe. I'm not seeing results fast enough so that's also depressing.

So wtf do I do? How long should I practice a day? What do I practice? How do I make my playing more emotional? Do I practice songs or exercises for improvement?

Maybe the guitar isn't for you? It's not for everyone ya know.

Anyhow, learn how to play your instrument first, then worry about expressing yourself on it later.
First off let me say congratulations. By making this choice you have already started down the road to be a better guitarist. I applaud your desire to improve yourself and your instrumental capacities.

Practice as long as you want, the more practice the better you will get. What styles of music do you play? Judging by your mentioning of solo's/riffs and shredding I am guess metal or something with alot of technical abilities. You should learn basic music theory, ie chords, scales, what chord is major or minor, note names, easy stuff like that first then progress into harder music theory, learn technical skills like tapping, tremolo picking, OH also LEARN TO ALTERNATE PICK WELL!

There is really no way to make your playing more emotional. I guess the only thing I can tell you is to try to pull your solos/riffs or whatever playing from inside you. Making yourself part of the music is how you be emotional. Some people can do it. Others can't because they don't have a connection with the music they play. Alot of modern artists have this problem. Being emotional in your music is more than throwing your head back when you play an amazing solo. You can play a three note solo over the course of ten seconds, but HOW you play is what makes it emotional. B.B. King, Clapton, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Winter, alot of great bluesmen do emotional playing well because the music they play represents the way they feel inside. Emotional playing is all about, this is a crazy notion but bear with me, EMOTION.

Play songs and exercises for improvement. Playing exercises will get the basics down and the you can apply those basics to songs. Exercises are a great way to become better. Learn scales and once those are memorized then try improv-ing on them.

To become better you have to put in the time and effort. My biggest regret is not putting more time into my playing when I first started playing.

Good luck on your quest to become a better guitarist.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Dont try so hard to become good. Just try to be good. Think about something that makes you really happy or sad and do a sick solo with those soulful bends to a I-IV-V progression or something.

Just practice like pentatonic scales (5th and 6th string) with the linking mode and make up a song with some cool chords.

I know that;'s not great advice but to get a pretty good feel for the neck, pentatonics are essential. Dont be afriad to use 'dem blues notes in da scale tho!
Practice and love music in general, apply it to your life. Basically never quit, just keep going at it.

I remember when I couldn't pull off the intro to many stuff vs today...today I picked up my LP and I'm really close to getting 100% Master of Puppets intro downpicked like Metallica does it and I got so happy.

Find someone who loves music as much as you do and become really good friends is a good way of motivation. I just have so much fun when I'm jamming with someone.

Basically evolve as a guitarist so you become the best guitarist in the world...and that best guitarist to look at for each individual person is actually yourself. Be yourself rather than trying to emulate someone completely. That is what music really is...a way to express what you like, feel and are. Have fun man, it isn't a race, it's something you love.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I was once like you ...

then I bought a capo and started playing acoustic.

I'm happy now.

I kid guys.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled

1 So wtf do I do? 2 How long should I practice a day? 3 What do I practice? 4 How do I make my playing more emotional? 5 Do I practice songs or exercises for improvement?

1. Play your guitar.
2. A lot.
3. Hard Things.
4. Try not thinking about how you can make it emotional and play?
5. Both.

Bam, you're awesome.

NOTE: These are the only answers that will ever make you awesome ever. Good thing you made a thread on UG about how to be good.
Feed your mind.
We've all hit a wall at sometime or another.... use a metronome as much as possible, and work your way into those difficult riffs slowly.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
PERSEVERE

just keep practcing, get a teacher, anything worth doing takes time. if you're deterimined you'll do it. good luck!
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

What are some good warmup exercises that double as technique improvers?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
with that attitude you wont be able to play for ****.

seriously. stop caring about what others think, and learn to play for yourself at whatever pace pleases you and skill.
Maybe you just don't have any talent. Not everyone can be a good musician.
Quote by JF-SH1
First off let me say congratulations. By making this choice you have already started down the road to be a better guitarist. I applaud your desire to improve yourself and your instrumental capacities.

Practice as long as you want, the more practice the better you will get. What styles of music do you play? Judging by your mentioning of solo's/riffs and shredding I am guess metal or something with alot of technical abilities. You should learn basic music theory, ie chords, scales, what chord is major or minor, note names, easy stuff like that first then progress into harder music theory, learn technical skills like tapping, tremolo picking, OH also LEARN TO ALTERNATE PICK WELL!There is really no way to make your playing more emotional. I guess the only thing I can tell you is to try to pull your solos/riffs or whatever playing from inside you. Making yourself part of the music is how you be emotional. Some people can do it. Others can't because they don't have a connection with the music they play. Alot of modern artists have this problem. Being emotional in your music is more than throwing your head back when you play an amazing solo. You can play a three note solo over the course of ten seconds, but HOW you play is what makes it emotional. B.B. King, Clapton, Hubert Sumlin, Johnny Winter, alot of great bluesmen do emotional playing well because the music they play represents the way they feel inside. Emotional playing is all about, this is a crazy notion but bear with me, EMOTION.

Play songs and exercises for improvement. Playing exercises will get the basics down and the you can apply those basics to songs. Exercises are a great way to become better. Learn scales and once those are memorized then try improv-ing on them.

To become better you have to put in the time and effort. My biggest regret is not putting more time into my playing when I first started playing.

Good luck on your quest to become a better guitarist.

a BIG +1

I put a little emphasis on one particular area I wish I had learned much sooner.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
i find the same problem with writing lyrics and melodies. im not creative at all but im trying to write lyrics anyway. you should just try something new each day and if you dont like it, trash it and start over.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Just because a daewoo dealership has a tune-up service doesn't mean that the ****ers know what they're doing (no offense to anyone who drives a daewoo. pleas don't torture your little one cylinder engines to mow my lawn and bump into me)