lol, not really. I'm getting one, just named it that to catch your attention.

Just wondering, what would a good pickup combo be for metal and blues tones?

Keep in mind i'll probably be playing through a solid state for the next year or so. Also, I want to get the HSS Deluxe strat, would the wood it's made out of (Alder wood, I think. Am not getting the FMT/QMT. Also, I'll be getting a maple fretboard) sound good for both blues and metal?

That's pretty much it.

OH WAIT.

Just one more question, is it possible to recess the tremolo wood area and put in an Edge pro or other FR like tremolo?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I dont know about the pickups really but id go with some form of SD in the bridge. As for the trem its is possible but it will cost a ton and is not worth it really, if you want a new guitar with a trem you might as well just buy one.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
If you want a guitar with both good metal and blues tones, get a Epiphone Les Paul custom, great guitar, versitile sound.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Okay, you need to specify a few things first:
- Are you talking about a Fender Stratocaster or a Squier Stratocaster?
- Define what you mean by 'blues' and 'metal', because some people think Iron Maiden is 'metal' while other people would just call them 'rock', for example. If you could give specific examples of the sort of tones you'd like then that helps greatly.

Then there's two other things you should know:
- If you're playing through a solid state amp then there will be not point changing pickups. You need to get a tube amp first.
- Yes, you could route out the bridge further to make room for a floating trem. It'd be hard to do though if you're not sure what you're doing, it could perminantly ruin the guitar, it could be expensive if you get someone else to do it, and it'd probably be easier and cheaper to just get an HSS strat which already has a floating bridge - not to mention, are you sure you even need a floating bridge? They can be hard work to setup and maintain if you don't know what you're doing, and a well set up normal Strat bridge does 80% of what a floating trem does anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
how about buy a guitar with a FR already in it so you don't **** up a 1200 dollar guitar?

did you try the stock pups and not like them?

so let me see, you don't like the pups, you don't like the fact it doesn't have a FR, why do you like this guitar again? The name?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Don't get a strat and put a floyd in it, just get a jackson with HSS and a trem.

But I would get a super distortion in the bridge, and a set of Areas or Virtuals in the neck and middle.
you plan on spending over a grand on a guitar, and you don't want its pickups and trem? why the hell not just buy a MIM and redo that? or better yet, how about getting a guitar that has what you want in it already, and not just buy a guitar based on brand???
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
how about buy a guitar with a FR already in it so you don't **** up a 1200 dollar guitar?

did you try the stock pups and not like them?

so let me see, you don't like the pups, you don't like the fact it doesn't have a FR, why do you like this guitar again? The name?

It's not that I don't like the pickups, I haven't even heard them yet. But with my other fender experiences, the pickups weren't too hot, harmonic responsive, etc.

I'm fine with the fact that it doesn't have an FR, i'd prefer an FR for squelies/dime bombs, but the fender one is fine. I can get a digitech whammy for dime bombs, and use the whammy for dive bombs.

And I like the guitar because of it's feel. I love it's neck, perfect for my hand (I haven't even gone through my growth spurt yet, should I buy a fender now, or wait till I get my growth spurt, and then see if my hand grows to accomodate a jackson/ibby/schecter?)

Am only 14. Will be getting a tube amp when I'm 15/16. My older brother shares the account with me, he posts almost 99% of the time. this is my 4th post on the account.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by MrFlibble

- If you're playing through a solid state amp then there will be not point changing pickups. You need to get a tube amp first.

have you ever played diferent guitars trough the SS amp? it makes a diference, even with a small marshall MG
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by cthuludawn21
you plan on spending over a grand on a guitar, and you don't want its pickups and trem? why the hell not just buy a MIM and redo that? or better yet, how about getting a guitar that has what you want in it already, and not just buy a guitar based on brand???

****, stop assuming **** you don't know. I personally don't like fender as a brand, because everyone and their moms have one, I just like the feel of it.

To the guy who asked about music:

Thrash Metal, Death Metal, and Mathcore as in metal.

I.e Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, Protest the Hero etc.

Blues, just a jazzy smooth tone really. Smooth highs, great bass and mids somewhere inbetween. Kind of like EC's woman tone.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by V.U.K
It's not that I don't like the pickups, I haven't even heard them yet. But with my other fender experiences, the pickups weren't too hot, harmonic responsive, etc.

Well that is an important thing to hear before purchasing a guitar.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by litus
have you ever played diferent guitars trough the SS amp? it makes a diference, even with a small marshall MG
I've got eleven guitars, two tube amps and two solid state amps. Go figure.

Quote by V.U.K
Well there's no point thinking about changing pickups until you've heard the guitar through the amp you intend to use with it.

And I like the guitar because of it's feel. I love it's neck, perfect for my hand (I haven't even gone through my growth spurt yet, should I buy a fender now, or wait till I get my growth spurt, and then see if my hand grows to accomodate a jackson/ibby/schecter?)
Wait.

Am only 14. Will be getting a tube amp when I'm 15/16.
Well I'll say this once and once only: the most important part of your whole rig is your amp. It's your amp that actually puts the sound out there, it's the amp that defines the vast majority of your tone. There is no point getting something like a Fender Deluxe series before you have a better amp. If you really want the Fender neck but you've not got an amp that can do the guitar justice, you might as well just have a Squier copy or a mexican model, they're the same neck profile as most higher-end Fenders.

Amp first. Always.

Quote by V.U.K
Thrash Metal, Death Metal, and Mathcore as in metal.

I.e Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, Protest the Hero etc.

Blues, just a jazzy smooth tone really. Smooth highs, great bass and mids somewhere inbetween. Kind of like EC's woman tone.
Well, the 'woman' tone is a Gibson SG on the stock neck pickup with the tone knob rolled all the way back, with a wah-wah pedal set at a specific point forward to add treble, straight into a fully cranked tweed amp.

You're not going to get that on an HSS strat. It's a completely different kind of tone.

You're also going to really struggle to get both that kind of blues tone and a metal tone as heavy as you're talking about on the same amp and guitar.

Maybe, as a sort of comprimise, you could look at something like a basswood super-Strat with a low-output Alnico II humbucker in the neck and something like a Duncan Alternative 8 in the bridge, then for amp you'd need something medium-gain and just hope for the best (or be prepared to buy a couple of EQ pedals to switch between different tones). Either way, you're a bit screwed really. You're asking for two of the most distant extremes in one unit and that's just not going to happen.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I agree with the amp being the most important thing for tone. But i see absolutely nothing wrong with buying a nice guitar first and a nice amp later. I mean most serious players eventually get both anyway.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I agree with the amp being the most important thing for tone. But i see absolutely nothing wrong with buying a nice guitar first and a nice amp later. I mean most serious players eventually get both anyway.

yes but a bad guitar into nice amp will sound good but a good guitar in a bad amp will only sound ok he may learn to hate the strat because of his amp
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by MrFlibble
I've got eleven guitars, two tube amps and two solid state amps. Go figure.

Well there's no point thinking about changing pickups until you've heard the guitar through the amp you intend to use with it.

Wait.

Well I'll say this once and once only: the most important part of your whole rig is your amp. It's your amp that actually puts the sound out there, it's the amp that defines the vast majority of your tone. There is no point getting something like a Fender Deluxe series before you have a better amp. If you really want the Fender neck but you've not got an amp that can do the guitar justice, you might as well just have a Squier copy or a mexican model, they're the same neck profile as most higher-end Fenders.

Amp first. Always.

Well, the 'woman' tone is a Gibson SG on the stock neck pickup with the tone knob rolled all the way back, with a wah-wah pedal set at a specific point forward to add treble, straight into a fully cranked tweed amp.

You're not going to get that on an HSS strat. It's a completely different kind of tone.

You're also going to really struggle to get both that kind of blues tone and a metal tone as heavy as you're talking about on the same amp and guitar.

Maybe, as a sort of comprimise, you could look at something like a basswood super-Strat with a low-output Alnico II humbucker in the neck and something like a Duncan Alternative 8 in the bridge, then for amp you'd need something medium-gain and just hope for the best (or be prepared to buy a couple of EQ pedals to switch between different tones). Either way, you're a bit screwed really. You're asking for two of the most distant extremes in one unit and that's just not going to happen.

Hmm, alright. How would a Jackson SL3 Soloist do for the Metal tones, and then maybe one of http://www.rondomusic.com/valkhcslim.html those a few months later for the blues tone?

Still not sure which SS to get. Might get a tube. How does the Blues Jr. Sounds for getting an EC woman tone/SRV type tone? When I get a job + some money, i'll be buying:
Fuzz Face
OD Pedal, probably Maxon 808
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

^ New good amp. Now we're talking.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by alternitivebass
yes but a bad guitar into nice amp will sound good but a good guitar in a bad amp will only sound ok he may learn to hate the strat because of his amp

Yes thats is right, but on the other hand he might hate the scratchy pots and the crappy action on his cheap guitar that falls apart in a few years. So i guess its a catch 22. That is if he goes for a cheap guitar and a nice amp. For starting out i think ints good to kind of go middle of the road for both guitar and amp.
just saying but why dont you make an account?

anyway get an amp first, then a nice guitar
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by MrFlibble

yikes! if their ever was a thing known as bad advice then that right there would be it
only guitar you'll ever need.

Fender American Speacial Mahogany

The Mahogany body and HSS config, allows you to still chunk out with the metal. I purchased this thing 4 months ago, and it's the best guitar I've ever played. Since it is sort of a special edition, they can be kind of pesky to find. Guitar Center usually gets a couple per month. Try it out, you won't be disappointed.
my band
www.myspace.com/semeron

American Fender Mahogany HSS Strat
1987 Ibanez Saber Pro 540 s - FOR SALE
Epi SG

Peavey XXX 120 W head
Marshall 1960A
Boss DD-3
Boss EQ-7
Boss TU-2
Crybaby
The blues jr will get you to a passable SRV tone. It's a good amp, but it won't belch a great metal tone at any volume without some power tube break up. It's just voiced as a blues amp and not a metal amp. Great amp though IMO.

As far as guitar, I would suggest a lower level guitar with great pups. An HSS set up with good pups through a decent tube amp will get you the most tone for the buck. (assuming it's not made from plywood, re-read the bang for the buck part potential flamers). HSS is the best set up for versatility IMO. Metal typically comes from your bridge humbucker and blues from the first or first two SC pup positions close to the neck - so that's doable. I have not tried that Jackson so I can't really comment on it.
Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by MrFlibble
Then there's two other things you should know:

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, it's what I personally have observed.

Once again, IMO- This is only partially true. You definately aren't going to want hot pickups on a SS amp, they are designed to drive tubes and will generally sound muddy on SS's. However, cooler pickups can sound much better than stock pups through a SS amp because they are usually clearer and more articulate. Of course it also depends on exactly what SS amp you have. Overall if you are going to get hot pups, wait for a tube amp. If you're looking at something for the blues/classic rock, I don't see any harm in getting them now, especially if you're planning on eventually going tube.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yikes! if their ever was a thing known as bad advice then that right there would be it
Well what is the point? You might change pickups (killing the value of the guitar), then you get a better amp and you find those new pickups you put in actually don't sound any good. What if you changed pickups to ones with more bass to make the SS amp sound better, then you get a big tube head one day and you now find you've got too much bass and you need to go change pickups again?

You wouldn't go ordering new tyres and a turbo kit for a car you've not taken on the road yet.

EDIT: don't forget too we're talking about a guitar that already has very nice stock pickups.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by slpbaseb12

The Mahogany body and HSS config, allows you to still chunk out with the metal. I purchased this thing 4 months ago, and it's the best guitar I've ever played. Since it is sort of a special edition, they can be kind of pesky to find. Guitar Center usually gets a couple per month. Try it out, you won't be disappointed.

thats absolutely beautiful
get a blade rh4 classic has everything you look for and the falcon trem system absolutely leaves floyd in smoke. Excellent tuning stability and due to the VSC on board electronics (which can be bypassed at the flick of a switch) versatility is hard to beat. And playability...well ill stop there
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by slpbaseb12

I just bought one of these a few months ago. I can't put it down! You are right about the chunk sound. I can also get some really clean tones as well. I just stomp on my TS-9 Tube screamer and I blues it up too. The S1 system give you a huge range of possible tones. I highly suggest going down to the nearest Guitar Center and plugging one into an amp that you think you might own whether it is a SS or Tube. Then you will know how it sounds BEFORE you drop some coin. Lots of possibilities with this Fender.