Page 1 of 2
Alright, I like Muse as much as the next guy, but I don't get this idol worship of him.

It seems like US is the only place I've come across where people treat him like some genius. Is he a good musician? Certainly. But I would hardly regard him as innovative as some people here make him out to be.

Am I missing something?
Yeah, your brain... it just hasn't developed to the level. When you get there, you will see... Oh yeah! It will all be clear.
I think *inhales loudly* his voice is *inhales loudly* amazing.

Seriously, he's good but not that good.
I love Muse, but I sort of acknowledge him for his work with the piano more than guitar.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
He's on a long list of overrated guitarists, starting with:

Adam Jones
Jack White
Kurt Cobain
The Edge
John Frusciante

In America, I guess we tend to overrate that which gets popular, associating popularity with skill or talent.

How is Adam Jones overrated? Most people I talk to have never even heard of Tool, let alone their guitarist.
sings similar to buckley wrote decent tunes, plays ok guitar plays good piano good stage presence wtf more do you want?
I think he's pretty talented guitarist, lyricist, pianist, what have you. But by no means a "god." Of course, that doesn't mean I don't aspire to be able to play like him.
i dont like the guy. he's not inovative or anything. he's an average and overrated guitarrist
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Adam Jones
Jack White
Kurt Cobain
The Edge
John Frusciante

In America, I guess we tend to overrate that which gets popular, associating popularity with skill or talent.

Are you shitting me?

EDIT: Whatever, this thread is going to become a "Who's more overrated" now, even though I do believe Matt Bellamy is overrated. He is talented and very creative, but with every idol, they're usually overrated in the eyes of others who can't appreciate the music they create.
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by SlashYourFug
How is Adam Jones overrated? Most people I talk to have never even heard of Tool, let alone their guitarist.

you can still be overrated if you are less known to the general public.
Hes a good guitar player, and he is a increadibe piano player, songwriter and singer.

The reason hes so respected is he can do all of these things very well...
Quote by Karvid
Maybe the number three has a human fetish

Quote by SeveralSpecies
It is a book by Michael Behe arguing for Intelligent Design.

I assume it has great tits because it has been repeatedly titty f*cked by REAL scientists.

He's great on piano. He is innovative with his piano work in the sense that he mixes complex piano lines with rock songs.

His GUITARS are innovative with the technology tht are built into them, but i wouldn't say he is an innovative or technical guitarist.

So yes, innovative musician, to an extent
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
People love him, people just like him, others don't know him, others hate him.

Welcome to the world of, like, every musician, no?

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
all i can say is that Matthew Bellamy is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more talented than i am and ever will be, and i love his style and music.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
all i can say is that Matthew Bellamy is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more talented than i am and ever will be, and i love his style and music.

dont use his full name like that you sound like a stalker no offense. he is a loveable musician tho, i was on the bus home from the absolution gig and the girls were like yeah he makes my pussy wet. slags.
Quote by Ziesta
dont use his full name like that you sound like a stalker no offense.

What if people don't have nicknames? Does using their given name make them stalkers then?

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
I don't worship him, but i look up to him. I think he's a great songwriter,a nd an awesome musician. ****in' love Muse.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Adam Jones
Jack White
Kurt Cobain
The Edge
John Frusciante

if anything, adam jones is underrated
i dont see how people think adam jones is overrated. i dont see people going 'zomg best guitarist EVARRR"

i never see that. someone point it out to me...

no he isnt a virtuoso.

however i think the beauty of Tool's music lies in the density of the overall sound and melodies. Its almost as if you get lost in their songs. the songs also have many different parts. like its usualy never just verse-chorus-verse-etc.
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
This.

im diggin your rubber factory avatar. black keys are amazing! one of my favorite bands

that is all.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by Ziesta
dont use his full name like that you sound like a stalker no offense.

fuck off it's his name why shouldnt i call him by his own name you tool?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Are you shitting me?

EDIT: Whatever, this thread is going to become a "Who's more overrated" now, even though I do believe Matt Bellamy is overrated. He is talented and very creative, but with every idol, they're usually overrated in the eyes of others who can't appreciate the music they create.

Speaking of other overrated guitarists, it's Billy Corgan!!!

YAY BILLY
Quote by tugboat
What if people don't have nicknames? Does using their given name make them stalkers then?

no but parents and girlfriends use guys full names when everyone else calls them by a shortened name like matt. if we all said matthew no problem, capiche?
Quote by aetherspear
he's certainly more talented than Alexi Laiho.

no. alexi could kill the guy by just saying his name
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
His songs don't exactly showcase his guitar playing ability. He understands that you don't need to have a super fast solo and crazy fast and "technical" riffs to have a good song. I've heard him play some other stuff extremely well, and he can play many different styles. I love Muse possibly way too much so of course I'm biased but I think he's amazing

edit: this was sorta in response to someone else in the thread.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Of course Matt Bellamy isnt a guitar virtuoso or anythiong, nor does he try to be.

I hate it when people associate technicality with brilliance in music. I mean honestly, the Plug In Baby riff is not nearly as technical as, say, a shredder or a metal guitarist, but it is far more catchy and good-sounding, in my opinion.

Lets accept the fact that nobody cares if you can play a solo in a harmonic D-Dorian mode with syncopation on the dissonant notes if it sounds like crap.

That said, Matt Bellamy is a brilliant songwriter
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
fuck off it's his name why shouldnt i call him by his own name you tool?

That's what a stalker would say...
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Adam Jones
Jack White
Kurt Cobain
The Edge
John Frusciante

I'm not a bandwagon guy but Froosh is an amazing guitarist. I'm hoping what you mean is that he's not as good as people make him out to be, but still admitting he's awesome.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Good points.

And I'd just like to add that to those of you who brought up Alexi Laiho, congratulations on bringing up a joke in my title/sig, which is completely unrelated and off of the topic. Clearly you had nothing better to offer.

Anyway, I would agree that he makes for a better pianist and vocalist.
Page 1 of 2