hey guys....been reading up on getting a tube amp in the near future....are 2X12's really necessary to play gigs and sutch....i've been thinking either a peavey classic, fender hot rod, mesa f-50, and others...is a 1X12 enough?
Nope. To me, if it's it's a combo amp I'd never get anything besides a 1x12. Now if we're talking head and cab then a 2x12 is good, but a 2x12 combo is usually way too heavy.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I like the size of a 2X12. Not really the weight though. It's probably just me, but I like double speakers. 2x10 and 2x8 are cool too.

It doens't have much to do with volume, but some to do with the actual projection of the sound.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Ghold125
yes...speaker size doesnt really determine the volume of an amp

Not trying to be a douche, but the amount of speakers really does affect the perceived volume. Also, TS is asking about amount of speakers, not size. A 1x12 is more "directional" where as more speakers fill an area and do make it seem louder due to more air being pushed around.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I like the size of a 2X12. Not really the weight though. It's probably just me, but I like double speakers. 2x10 and 2x8 are cool too.

It doens't have much to do with volume, but some to do with the actual projection of the sound.

This. 2x12's push more air, for maximum sexiness and projection. Not only that, ttwo speakers tend to add bottom end. Weight is the only real drawback.
I have a Vader 2x12 and it's supposed to weigh 70 pounds, but so is my Randall head and it feels considerably heavier (could be because it's loaded with modules though). In fact, the 2x12 doesn't weigh that much to me and I consider myself a pathetic weakling. It's mostly just cumbersome cuz of the size.

Still more convenient than a 4x12 though
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I have a Vader 2x12 and it's supposed to weigh 70 pounds, but so is my Randall head and it feels considerably heavier (could be because it's loaded with modules though). In fact, the 2x12 doesn't weigh that much to me and I consider myself a pathetic weakling. It's mostly just cumbersome cuz of the size.

Still more convenient than a 4x12 though

Yeha I have an easier time lifting my oversize Peavey 4x12 than I do lifting my 6505+ head and apparently it weights about 30kg more
ohai little sig.
^That could be because the 4x12 has 2 handles though, so you lift it with both arms, not just 1 like the head
theyr necessary if you want to waste money. on the chiropractor, that is

/lame joke
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
If you get a 4x12 you can get help moving it hahaha
or do like me and get a roadie to do it for you!
Combos with a 2x12" configuration have a more powerful and more defined bottom end compared to those with 1x12". That's not only because of the additional speaker, but also because of the usually bigger cabinet surrounding the speaker(s). I find that because of this even medium- to low-gain amps can sound pretty heavy if they have two speakers, while combos with only one speaker often have problems in that area (obviously depends on the type of amp and speaker though, I'm just talking about general tendencies here).
You just get more 'oomph' from a 2x12" combo than from a 1x12". Whether you want that or not is up to you, of course.
The only problem is that big combos weigh a ton. Lugging around an AC30 is NO fun.
i use a 1x12 to gig all the time.
what doesnt make sense to me is when people say they need all these speakers to play their "big gigs." then when they get to these gigs they mic up one of those speakers. thats retarded. especially because sound guys dont like alot of stage volume anyway, so you mic up one speaker out of many, and you turn your amp down, and then you only hear yourself in the monitor.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
its often just an extra speaker to replace and carry around

112 ftw
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Honestly I prefer the tone out of a 2x12 and more so 4x12 cab then a 1x12. Moves more air, fills the room better, better lowend response and so on. But in the end its all personal preference man. Go out and test out a few and see what you like, the sky is the limit when it comes to speaker combinations and personal taste.
It's not necessary. I want the bare minimum for when I get my 6505+ becuase of it's ridiculous wattage (120w) but as long as you're mic'd it's all good. If not then surely you'd have issues cutting through in a live sitch?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
It's not necessary. I want the bare minimum for when I get my 6505+ becuase of it's ridiculous wattage (120w) but as long as you're mic'd it's all good. If not then surely you'd have issues cutting through in a live sitch?

i'd go for a 212 because if i didnt like the stock speaker it'd be a nightmare finding a 120w speaker that i liked
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Honestly I prefer the tone out of a 2x12 and more so 4x12 cab then a 1x12. Moves more air, fills the room better, better lowend response and so on. But in the end its all personal preference man. Go out and test out a few and see what you like, the sky is the limit when it comes to speaker combinations and personal taste.

thats nice and all, unless your recording or playing a huge show where they will mic one speaker anyway.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The size of the cabinet is a big factor. For the most part 1x12 cabinets are very boxy sounding, but there are some makers that make an oversized 1x12 that sounds HUGE. Likewise with detuned 2x12s which also sound huge.
Quote by chea_man
thats nice and all, unless your recording or playing a huge show where they will mic one speaker anyway.

I understand the convience factor but you cant argue numbers. A huge majority of the population uses 2x12 and 4x12 cabs live with great results. The same goes with recording studios. And have you ever seen what a head looks like on a 1x12 cab
I agree with Kevin Saale, a 2x12 combo is way too heavy to carry

I love 2x12 cabs though.

And have you ever seen what a head looks like on a 1x12 cab

Not as bad as a Tiny Terror on a 4x12, tbh. A lot of heads are that size and look just fine. Egnater Rebel, Krank Rev Jr, etc.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
I agree with Kevin Saale, a 2x12 combo is way too heavy to carry

I love 2x12 cabs though.

Not as bad as a Tiny Terror on a 4x12, tbh. A lot of heads are that size and look just fine. Egnater Rebel, Krank Rev Jr, etc.

Im not talking about mini heads. Im talking about full size heads on a 1x12 cab.