Page 1 of 3
Well, tonight I was bored and I discovered something very fun. I'm sure many UGers have tried this before. I got bored tonight and sat down and just started writing down tabs of notes I thought would sound good together. No guitar near me. I later got my guitar and played the tabs and they sound amazing! anyone else done this? I think I may start doing this if I have to come up with a new song on short notice. Heres the tabs I wrote..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------10-----------------------
---------5--------------9---------5---5--------------------------------------------------------------10-------------------------
------------10p5------8---8-7-----5---5-10p5-10p5-------3p2h3------(9)~~-7-7-7-7-9-9-9-9-10-10-10-10-----------------------------
------------------7-7--------5~-5---5-------------0-0-0-------0-0-0--------------------------------------------------------------
-------5------------------------------------------------------0-0--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------0-0--------------------------------------------------------------

In drop D.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
tabs are for losers, learn the NOTES and the THEORY

be educated, show you're educated

notation and theory aren't necessarily connected, but notation helps.

also, show you're worldly by not being an elitist prick.
Yes, well I don't tab it out.

I just do it all in my head and later on, I just pick up my guitar and play it.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

you dont have know how to read music to play guitar knowing how to read music doesnt make you play any better than anyone else
and some people play guitar for the fun of it, not to be arrogant running around saying "LUK I KNO THEERY IM TEH BESTEST!"
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

So did you join a tab website to shed the light of sheet music on us incompetents?
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

don't be a douchebag

yeah sometimes i tap rhythms on my desk and then i do it for my guitar/bass. Doesn't work out too good sometimes.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

So because someone writes a riff in tabs they're automatically ignorant of all music theory and notes? You're quite the jackass.
We often feel sad in the presence of music without words; and often more than that in the presence of music without music -M. Twain
It's like whammying without a whammy bar...it's pretty simple.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Sometimes I submit these kinds of songs to T&C for teh lulz.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by zedeathmetal
So did you join a tab website to shed the light of sheet music on us incompetents?

win!

anyways, TS, i like to write out the tab for a scale (IE, chart showing all the notes on the fretboard) and just run wild from there. sometimes its good, and sometimes...
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

Says the dude with the Blink 182 avatar.
to everyone flaming me

For 1 day I've been on this forum I see people laughing at other's bad spelling etc... Well, the tabs ARE like bad spelling or like Yoda talk

I have to agree their useful sometimes, but in order to really play guitar you need to learn the notes and the theory kids
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

dont b a dumbass jus cause somebody can t read music doesnt make them any less of a guitar player i know people wh can play the hell out of a guitar and dont know a lick of theory or anything theres no need to be arrogant if u think ur better then everyone else pick up a guitar and prove it otherwise all ur doin is blowin hot air
Quote by Shpongled
Says the dude with the Blink 182 avatar.

i was gonna say the EXACT same thing, but i felt like being an asshole to him instead, so i did

Quote by mary_had_a_lil
to everyone flaming me

For 1 day I've been on this forum I see people laughing at other's bad spelling etc... Well, the tabs ARE like bad spelling or like Yoda talk

I have to agree their useful sometimes, but in order to really play guitar you need to learn the notes and the theory kids

may i please kick you in the twat?
i LEARNED how to play guitar because of tabs, and not to be arrogant, my playing is probably a whole ****load more advanced than yours
do i know theory? hardly
do i know the notes? yes, but can i point one out right on impulse? no

you're teh ghey
Last edited by chrismacker at Dec 18, 2008,
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

Just because someone reads tabs doesn't make them an uneducated loser. Notes are hard to learn. If nobody read tabs, there would be no Ultimate Guitar, which means no Pit. So shove that up your ass.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
to everyone flaming me

hey dude have a nice big cup of shut the hell up.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

im gonna be tacky and quote the bible too

Remove the plank from your own eye before you judge the speck in others"~ or something like that..... Be educated.... Use capitals
~Defiant~
Quote by dethead666
hey dude have a nice big cup of shut the hell up.

This.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by chrismacker
i was gonna say the EXACT same thing, but i felt like being an asshole to him instead, so i did

may i please kick you in the twat?
i LEARNED how to play guitar because of tabs, and not to be arrogant, my playing is probably a whole ****load more advanced than yours
do i know theory? hardly
do i know the notes? yes, but can i point one out right on impulse? no

you're teh ghey

hey look do you even know who I am? you better see some of my youtube covers...lol and you say you're better than me lollllll
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

You must be a troll, because I don't think anyone can be that ignorant and uneducated. The irony would be too much for a person to actually not realize. You must be joking.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
hey look do you even know who I am? you better see some of my youtube covers...lol and you say you're better than me lollllll

omg hey guys we have a sacred prodigy on our hands HE'SSSS BEEENNNN ONNN YOUTUBE OMG OMG. Listen up asshole when i first signed up i too thought my **** didn't stink but soon i found out that don't work here so get a reality check and accept that just because your a theory nerd does not make you a better guitarist
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

how the fuk do u know hes not jus cause u got a damn vidoe on the net doesnt mean ur gods gift to guitar, and the fact that u think that way will end up bitein u in the ass arrogant people always git theres in the end u moron
i hate the whole..theory and notation go hand in hand. 2 seperate things and notation should be second nature before bothering with any major theory. maybe not reading the stave for notes but reading rhythms is essential for all musicians (people get bogged down in the other stuff)

whole note slow long,
half,
quarter medium speed length,

8th, faster speed shorter notes

16th notes fast notes very short

you mainly use quarter and 8th and 16th notes so look at which have lines across the top-quicker shorter..just look for the lines, and also count out 1and 2and 3and 4and eg smoke on the water 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and
Quote by metaldud536
People who know music theory and standard notaion can do this. Haven't you seen Amadeus?

It's...a Funny little tune...ahAHAHAHahaha!

...great movie...
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

Give us a link to one of your videos then, I'm intrigued as to how talented the guy with the Blink 182 avatar can be.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
to everyone flaming me

I just find it kind of funny that you have an avatar of a band whose guitarist has admitted that he doesn't know any theory and then go preach to everyone about learning it. Music theory and reading music are essential tools for guitarists but aren't needed. In the end all that matters is playing what sounds good to you. Did you expect the OP to write out the stuff on the staff lines instead and post that? I mean this is a guitar tab site dude.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
to everyone flaming me

don't be such a ****ing dambass, music has nothing what so ever to do with being able to read musical notation, or even knowing theory, music is about emotion and passion, so pull the rod out of your arse and grow the **** up.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by chrismacker
you dont have know how to read music to play guitar knowing how to read music doesnt make you play any better than anyone else
and some people play guitar for the fun of it, not to be arrogant running around saying "LUK I KNO THEERY IM TEH BESTEST!"

Exactly, I know theory and I know how to read music, I still suck at guitar
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
to everyone flaming me

Proof?

No?

Alright.

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by mary_had_a_lil

well ****, if you only play covers what's the point in knowing theory?
but no i havent seen your youtube

link?
ill watch

my technical death metal influence = way more advanced than your pop punk infulence
THAT'S how i know im better than you
Quote by Boogie Man
don't be such a ****ing dambass, music has nothing what so ever to do with being able to read musical notation, or even knowing theory, music is about emotion and passion, so pull the rod out of your arse and grow the **** up.

You can't deny that theory has anything to do with music, that's just ****ing stupid. Dambass.
Page 1 of 3