Ive heard that playing a bass through a guitar amp is damaging to the guitar amp, but is playing a guitar damaging to a bass amp? my little 5 watt practice amp is ****ed and I wont get my new one until christmas, so im left with a 20 watt bass amp. should i run my guitar through it or no?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Well, Electric or Not, its still an amp so I would.
Quote by break-me-in
I was never a Satanist in the first place.
Running a bass through a guitar amp will destroy it
Running a guitar through a bass amp is kind of a last resort amp (such as your case) and shouldnt be a long term solution, wont kill the bass amp like a bass does to a guitar amp.

You could also just play ampless, it sucks but whatever, a week til christmas
It's perfectly safe. Some guitarists play through Fender Bassman amps because they like the sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
maybe you should try running your guitar through the searchbar first. and its okay to run your guitar through a bass amp. a bass will wreck the guitar amp because the guitar amp cant handle as wide a frequency range than a bass amp.
yeah, thats what i thought guys. thanks for clearing it up. it doesnt sound amazing, but oh well. after fiddling with tone, etc for a while now i got it.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Ok first off, to kill a misconception that I've seen a lot around here.

Running a bass through a guitar amp does nothing to the amp. Running a bass through a set of speakers which cannot handle low frequencies for an extended amount of time will blow the speakers. If you use "guitar" speakers with a bass amp, you'd blow the speakers as well.

Other than that, there is nothing wrong with running a guitar through a bass amp or bass speakers. Jimi Hendrix used to run his guitar into a JTM45/100 (100 watt "bass" circuit) into two 4x12 cabinets with Celestion g12h30 55hz speakers.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 18, 2008,