Hey guys,

I'm a noob to the recording world and is asking for a bit of guidance. I mainly want to record guitar bass and perhaps vocals, (Drummer can program drums). These recordings will be for demo material and perhaps a solo project. I was checking out the line 6 toneport ux2 and also the zoom dfx.

check out the specs of the new zoom
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1971&brandID=4

it has a tube in it which i found interesting. A copy of cube base and also native instruments...

Which is a better buy? there around the same price.
My Gear
Randall RH 150 G3
Randall RXCM 412 Cab
Marshall MG 50 DFX
ESP LTD M-400
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Acoustic
I use a single EV Cobalt Co7 mic, works with everything, not the best for vocals, but with a little equalisation it'd be excellent. I just run directly into a computer I have setup with Sonar6.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
well, i dont know much about hardware, but guitar center is having a holiday sale where you can get sony acid software for free after mail in rebate. and you will be able to do a whole lot with that no matter what you use to record. just a suggestion.
hmmmm i dont really wanna mic everything. something that sounds great and you can bring anywhere...
My Gear
Randall RH 150 G3
Randall RXCM 412 Cab
Marshall MG 50 DFX
ESP LTD M-400
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Acoustic
I got myself a Toneport UX2 a while ago, and I must say I am very happy with it. Gearbox and POD Farm are two really good pieces of software, and mine also came with a basic version of Ableton Live although I never used it because I had Sony Acid. There are also TONS of videos in youtube that show the toneport, including a 6 or 7 part video made by Line 6 to advertise their product. That should give you a general idea about it. Good luck.
The Toneports are ok but NI makes a much better piece of modeling software than Line6...

The zoom package looks quite good for $200 in terms of what you get but I dont know how well the interface sounds or operates. Is it a USB 1.1, 2.0, or firewire connection?

The "Tube" is one of those little add-ons that some companies stick in there to add to the cost and image of the product, usually it wont add to the sound that much, if at all.