Alright, I was thinking of modding my strat with a set of Lace Sensor pickups. I heard the gold ones running through an AB Fender tube amp(albeit a much nicer one than mine in a much nicer strat than mine. ) when I went to see The Who, and I didn't hear what people talk about with them draining tone. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could recommend three for my strat? The tones I'm looking for are as follows;

Neck; That "spanking" SRV-style bell tone.

Mid-neck; Mainly just used to get the above, but mellower

Mid; Occasionally used for stuff Blackmore played, but otherwise I just need this to mix well with the other two.

Mid-bridge; My favourite position, so I can afford to have the other four sound like crap if it'll let this sound perfect. Basically I'm looking for that classic, 1960's British invasion "quacky" tone, the kind of tone Clapton and Gilmour got/get, but a bit more gain-friendly.

Bridge; That old 1950's fender twang and bite. I do need it to be more "powerful", so to speak, meaning I need it to be my lighter metal/harder-rock/"make the solo stand out" pickup.

My setup is in my sig, but I occasionally throw more stuff in, and lately I've been experimenting with my CE-5. So, recommendations amongst the Sensors? And just to note, I don't want something like the red or blue ones that sound like a humbucker; I want these things to retain the single-coil sound, as I have another guitar for stuff needing a humbucker.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
I only have experiences with the Gold, Hot Gold, and Red. Initially I thought the Gold sounded puny, so I tried the Hot Gold, very nice when playing at normal volumes. The Red is quite hot and probably too hot for the ones you're interested. Then I played the Gold cranked, and it became my favorite Lace for '60s-type SC Rock.

Have you tried the Fender 57/62 PUs? It sounds awesome on any Strat (even Squiers) through the proper amps.

I'm with Ippon on this one. I use the hot golds (I've played all the lace pickups), but the Fender pickups are very good as well. It mostly comes down to whether you want noiseless pickups or not.
Sounds like you'd want the Golds or hot golds.
I've had experience with those, but I had blue laces for a while.
The blues were very warm, and fairly hot pickups. Probably not what you're looking for, though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Ippon
I only have experiences with the Gold, Hot Gold, and Red. Initially I thought the Gold sounded puny, so I tried the Hot Gold, very nice when playing at normal volumes. The Red is quite hot and probably too hot for the ones you're interested. Then I played the Gold cranked, and it became my favorite Lace for '60s-type SC Rock.

Have you tried the Fender 57/62 PUs? It sounds awesome on any Strat (even Squiers) through the proper amps.

Could I get a link to the 57/62's? I was able to find the 69's and the 54's, but I couldn't find the 57/62's.

Edit; Nevermind, found they were discontinued. Alright then, for a tube amp with slight natural breakup and about a late-60's/early-70's overdrive thrown on via Tubescreamer, would the Gold or Hot Gold sound better?

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 19, 2008,
personally, im not a fan of the laces. i think you could nail those tones with another set of pickups. try corduroyEW. his clips are great.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
If you're looking for hard rock single coil tones, try a quarter pounder in the bridge. It's got big steel poles so it kind of does the p-90 thing, it's extremely hot as well.

the "rock attempt" in my profile is my FD2 and my strat in the bridge position, there's plenty more gain on tap there. At 7:35 in the "fulldrive 2 demo" is a good example of a hard rock tone with the bridge pup.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you're looking for hard rock single coil tones, try a quarter pounder in the bridge. It's got big steel poles so it kind of does the p-90 thing, it's extremely hot as well.

the "rock attempt" in my profile is my FD2 and my strat in the bridge position, there's plenty more gain on tap there. At 7:35 in the "fulldrive 2 demo" is a good example of a hard rock tone with the bridge pup.

Hmm...what pickups do you have in your strat? I want to say Tex Mex, but I recall you saying you swapped the pickups.

Tex mex in neck and middle, quarter pounder in bridge. I've gone through quite a few bridge pups, this one has done best for what I want (which is similar to what you want)
Also, to me the bridge and middle mixed sounded pretty good, the quarter pounder is very middy, almost nasaly clean, but the scoopage on the middle pickup works perfectly with it and it balances nicely.

I've recently rewired it so I can select the bridge and neck together and I must say it's a very nice tone. Gives a very full clean sound and with some gain I can get an EJ-esque lead tone.

I actually have a custom SSL-5 laying around that I've been meaning to give a try.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Tex mex in neck and middle, quarter pounder in bridge. I've gone through quite a few bridge pups, this one has done best for what I want (which is similar to what you want)
Also, to me the bridge and middle mixed sounded pretty good, the quarter pounder is very middy, almost nasaly clean, but the scoopage on the middle pickup works perfectly with it and it balances nicely.

I've recently rewired it so I can select the bridge and neck together and I must say it's a very nice tone. Gives a very full clean sound and with some gain I can get an EJ-esque lead tone.

I actually have a custom SSL-5 laying around that I've been meaning to give a try.

Hmm...alright, I'll look into that. Out of curiosity though, how'd the Tex Mex bridge pickup sound? I don't have the money to buy a set only to throw one out at the moment I'm afraid.