Page 1 of 3
How long do picks normally last you? I have been rotating through 2 fender heavies and a blue tortext for about a year now! What about you all?
I broke my favorite pick. It was a Jim Dunlop medium. I guess I tremolo picked too hard.
mine last a few months before the tips are too worn down for my liking. when i used thicker ones it was a lot longer but i prefer .73's so they wear a little quicker.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I havent broken a pick so far
now im not sure whether or not that speaks of my ill experience or of the soundness of my picks xD
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Yeah i guess it depends on the weight. I tend to lose most of mine, but i would say generally a month with a fender medium.
My Rig.
Destroyed.. UGH
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81/85, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster
--
1967 Fender Princeton
Boss TU-2 --> Boss MT-2 --> Maxon OD9 -->Boss DD-6
--
Past Gear:
5150 Blockletter, Avatar 412, Vox AC30, ISP Decimator.
I use Dunlop nylon 1mm's so mine get jacked by pick gremlins long before they break or wear out.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I wear down my mediums in a month. They get round and I don't like them anymore. I'm thinking about going back to my metal Satriani pick for a bit.

Save me some money.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I can never keep track of em
But I play with a lot of Jazz III's, Jazz III tortex's and getting into cool picks
Only heavy ass gauge picks, so I've never broken one, and I'm not sure than ever I will.
But one day I might, but I'll never throw a pick away if it gets too warn down.
Only time I ever have in fact is when my dog chewed one up!!
until the pick gnomes steal them.. normally about 4 or 5 days... seriously.. where do they hide?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
my dunlop .88mm last forever... thats usually cut quite short though since they get lost and stolen
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
i've had mine for about a year kinda worn but still works like a charm
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
I use Dunlop 2mm so haha b*tches

just kidding

but they're great and they're indestructible!
since ima newbie at guitar (6 mths.) they only way i waste a pick is by losing it
Last edited by manny95er at Jan 1, 2009,
Quote by jambajews
i lose mine after like 1 time of usin it

this, i have no idea where they go...it's like the ninth wonder of the guitar world
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I only get new picks when the pick gnomes abduct them. I still use a pick that I've had for 2 years.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
About two years ago now, my guitar teacher gave me 2 of his custom picks with his company name on them (nylon, i dont know the thickness). Ive used one of them steady, as my only pick since then and I love it lol. I just lost the back up one but for xmas he gave his better players (or people thatve been with him for a while) the same ones as his customs, but with thier name on em! So now I got 50 back ups lol. Ive never broke one, cant see it happening, im pretty light with the picking.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by nemjeff13
this, i have no idea where they go...it's like the ninth wonder of the guitar world

It's those ****ing pick gnomes I tells yah.I swear somewhere in a magic forest there's a little village built entirely out of stolen guitar picks.If I ever find it I'm gonna go all Godzilla on the little bastards.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i use jazz 3s and they last forever but they are small and i loose it alot...but it always shows up in a pants pocket or washing machine or sumthing
I have been using the same 2 dunlop ultex 1mm picks for 4-5 months.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Depends, if I pick slide like retard then the edges of my picks fray and the essentially become garbage. Other than that they probably last at least a month or two.
when I used to use fender picks, I would break about one a week. I bought a dozen dunlop tortex picks and aside from the ones I've lost, I've never broken one and have been using the same 2, one for my acoustic and one for electric, for the past 10 months.
None of mine have ever broken, despite the hard treatment I put them through. I tend to lose a lot though, so I make up for it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I bought one pack of jazz iii's about a year ago and I'm still using them.
"SO GLAD TO BE HERE I COULD JUMP OFF EVERY BRIDGE
BUT EVERYBODY'S GOT A ROPE AROUND ONE OF MY LIMBS
THEY'RE TRYIN' TO GET THEIR PIECE THEY KEEP ON TEARING ME APART
THEY WANNA GET INSIDE SO THEY CAN KICK AROUND MY HEART
"
i cant believe how long picks last for u people lol. i go to my fav guitar shop weekly and by 10 or so of my favorite dunlop heavy plastics when my band jams i must go thru 4-5 a night easy but soon as the sides start getting notched from the shredding and then they catch on strings and make terrible tin like screeches so i chuck em. my playing stle consists of alot of fast tremolo picking and shredding and sliding you know everything that destroys picks but honestly i go thru hundreds of picks a year easy
~ a month. Crazy, considering I use 2mm gator grips. Of course I pick like a damn gorilla.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Im using dunlop 1.5mm pick for like 5 months now. I lost the others i had
Either you guys don't practice EVER or you have very good luck with picks. I go through a pack about every 2 weeks to a month depending on how much I practice. Once they wear down you aren't supposed to use them anymore.
Quote by ToalNOOB
Either you guys don't practice EVER or you have very good luck with picks. I go through a pack about every 2 weeks to a month depending on how much I practice. Once they wear down you aren't supposed to use them anymore.

Or we just use picks made of durable material,my nylons last me a long time,but give me a celluloid or plastic pick and it's as good as dead.

i use stagg 0.96mm picks
never broken one but the pick gnomes still nick them.
i brought some and one was taken within about 15 mins.
they are so sneaky
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
normally a while i lose it before i break it
but does anyone get liek this attachment to a certain pick?
like i always go from pick to pick where i have to use that certain pick, or am i just wierd?
haha
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
I use Dunlop tortex picks (1mm). They take aaaaages to wear out...but depends on how much I practice. A week of hard practice will start to blunt it (I sand them down so they're really sharp at the end, and if they even begin to blunt I just sand them again).
My Jazz III's last for months, I once tried out a Dunlop stubby 1mm it wore down in a week.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Page 1 of 3