Hi.

My friend wants to buy a new guitar and amp for around $500. He plays mostly hard rock and metal. I was thinking of some ibanez guitar maybe? seeing as there are many in this price range but i dont know about any metal amps which could fit his price range. The details are pretty vague so sorry about that. Anyway any help is appreciated and if i missed anything feel free to ask. thanks.
My Gear:
Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
there's no way he's gonna get a good guitar AND amp for that price, he should get a nice one of something, and then save up for the rest of the rig...

what size amp does he need? does he gig? does he just play in his room?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Yeah, i'd recommend getting an ibanez for 500 and just saving up and looking for a pawn shop special on the amp.
My Rig.
Destroyed.. UGH
Ibanez RG321MH w/ EMG 81/85, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster
--
1967 Fender Princeton
Boss TU-2 --> Boss MT-2 --> Maxon OD9 -->Boss DD-6
--
Past Gear:
5150 Blockletter, Avatar 412, Vox AC30, ISP Decimator.
He doesnt need a big amp, hes gonna play in his room. I think he can pay a bit more like 600 maybe...maybe haha. But yeah, i know an amp should be first priority but yeah.
My Gear:
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
what amp would you guys recommend? and guitar too haha, im not looking for anything fancy just something that is playable.
My Gear:
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
Roland Micro Cube...love it as my practice amp...That should knock him down 100, so with 400-500 left for the guitar he can eat his heart out on an Epiphone Les Paul standard...ebay has an abundance of them in that range
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
by any chance would the roland cube 30 be a huge difference or even "better" than the microcube? just wondering.
My Gear:
Squire Stratocaster
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss Super Chorus
I think it's just a 30 watt version of the Micro Cube with some more features...so yeah it's probably better...also pricier though
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
i got this vox practice amp its ad15vt its got a one tube preamp its 15 watts with 2 channels and and gives 11 different amp modules and 11 different effects for under 200 bucks perfect starter amp if u ask me and there's even a foot switch for like 50 bucks and loud enough for practice. and you can get a good esp for about 350 which is a decent guitar for value
A great starter set up for him would be a Schecter Damien, and a Roland micro cube. The guitar will last a long time, and he can always upgrade the amp later. And i am talking about the damien without the floyd rose. If he gets the floyd model it will just end in frustration.